Princess Rail vs. Denali Star Train

sandcake

Does anyone know which one is more scenic, comfortable, price, etc? I can't decide who one. I plan on going from Anchorage to Fairbanks.

They all use the same tracks and have limited scenic offerings. Much of the rail line is bordered by trees, at least as far as Denali.

We found the older Princess observation cars to be less than comfortable.

Cannot comment on the Denali Star. I assume it is operated directly by the Alaska RR.

Does anyone know which one is more scenic, comfortable, price, etc? I can't decide who one. I plan on going from Anchorage to Fairbanks.

Like the previous said, same tracks and train, just different cars. Princess cars have a pretty paint job, Alaska RR is basic dark blue with yellow trim.

We took the Adventure Class level from Fairbanks to Denali. Nice introduction to the Interior scenery of Alaska. A lot of open wilderness with permafrost tipped telephone poles, flat with hills in distance, passes through some towns, some backwoods homes, Nenana (ice classic tripod), a few bridges--longest span, a fishwheel, and near Denali scenery picks up with ranges nearby, a giant bridge that looked like Tinker toys against the gorge walls, the glacial silt filled river--saw rafters.

Not worth spending the extra on the dome, (or Pricey Princess cars probably) Our seats were comfy enough, rode facing forward, picked our seats, could move from car to car for the dining car, big side windows. Announcer always gave a heads up when we were coming up to something, and passed out maps if interested. I spent most of the ride out on the mini-deck between cars with my head in the wind, and camera ready. Page 15, 16, 18 in my book posted in the "First timers' reaction to . . " thread has shots from the ride. (Nothing to compare to Anchorage to Seward leg though. That was worth the dome.)

I find the Alaska RR cars very comfortable. I am always in the standard class. BUT, this Anchorage/Fairbanks run is the least scenic portion of the Alaska RR and for me, pretty boring with trees and more trees. I will be on it again this year, but I"m flying back. :) And using toursaver 2 for 1 coupons the priority. I would definately be driving, which is WAY superior in my opinion, but I don't want to leave a rental car for 4 days parked, nor, pay for big drop off charges. So it's a compromise for me. For a first timer, I would think having the freedom for all the stops possible, a better touring option.

Archived