Flip-flops for dinner?

gander24

I'm sure you'll get all kinds of comments from people who think they should criticize what other people want to wear on vacation, but I personally don't see any issue with what shoes you wear...NCL's FAQ's does say, however, that flip flops aren't permitted in the main dining rooms. I'm not sure if they really pay much attention, though. My husband wore sandals to dinner for sure, and maybe flip flops even on our last cruise in the dining room (that may have been at lunch, though). I'd take other shoes just to be safe.

So, I have never sailed NCL before, but really enjoy my flip-flops. I understand khakis and a collared shirt for dinner, but what about flip-flops with them?

NCL is Freestyle so what ever you're comfortable in .... I've seen a lil bit of everything from previous cruises at dinner time ...

BTW I'm a big flip flop fan myself! :)

This may be a goofy question, but what would the difference be between a fancy sandal and a fancy flip flop? I leave on the Star on the 5th (so excited!) and I have what I would consider fancy flip flops but if I need to get a nice sandal too I will! Is it just that sandals have a bit more to them?

I love that this was my first post after lurking for so long.... sigh.

This may be a goofy question, but what would the difference be between a fancy sandal and a fancy flip flop? I leave on the Star on the 5th (so excited!) and I have what I would consider fancy flip flops but if I need to get a nice sandal too I will! Is it just that sandals have a bit more to them?

I love that this was my first post after lurking for so long.... sigh.

my guess is what they technically don't want in the dining room is rubber/cheap flip flops worn.

I don't think they care how fancy they are, if they are made of a rubber type material and only have one band around the front to hold them on so they make that "flip flop" noise when you walk then they may turn you away. I'm not saying they will but they very well might.

I don't think they care how fancy they are, if they are made of a rubber type material and only have one band around the front to hold them on so they make that "flip flop" noise when you walk then they may turn you away. I'm not saying they will but they very well might.

I think the definition is going to very different when it comes to men or women. Men do not generally wear sandals that might look like flip flops.

PE

I think the definition is going to very different when it comes to men or women. Men do not generally wear sandals that might look like flip flops.

PE

True. I guess if I had teenage daughters instead of teenage boys I'd probably know that better:o (and I'd have much more grey hair, too).

As stated flip-flops are on the no-no list for the MDR and I have heard of people being turned away. Nice sandals are permitted.

I wore flip-flops to dinner every night on our cruise last May, but I was also dressed in clothes I would wear to a nice restaurant at home. I think they are more interested in your clothing rather than what's on your feet. Actually, they don't seem to be too concerned about your clothing either! Saw everything from suits to cut offs excepted in the MDR so not sure if they are following their own rules! We prefer to dress up a bit and then after dinner go back to our cabin and change into the "comfies" for the rest of the evening.

I totally misunderstood the title of the thread.

I thought the OP was asking "flip flops for dinner", as in,

• if any restaurant had flip flops on the menu,
  • could you get more than one serving of them,
  • are the serving sizes adult, men/women or those tiny child sizes
  • how are the prepared,
  • are they no-charge or just at the speciality restaurants, and of course
  • can you have flip flops delivered via room service.

Thanks.

So, I have never sailed NCL before, but really enjoy my flip-flops. I understand khakis and a collared shirt for dinner, but what about flip-flops with them?

I did this when I was as new as you and think you are funny. Wear flip-flops. Go hungry. Cute though, very cute.

I wore flip flops from old navy every night in the mdrs and no one said anything to me. They were the cheap rubber kind that you buy 2 for $5 and they went very well with what I was wearing and I wasn't dressed to the nine.

Try it but bring sandals just in case and have fun :)

Archived