Questions about Power Snorkeling

WillieD13

DW and I are considering going on one of the "Power Snorkeling" excursion, but I have a few questions. When I go in the water, I go in with a camera in one hand, and I am wondering if having to drive the power unit will require 2 hands. I don't want to have to stop every time I want to take a picture. Also, since I spend most of my time down near the bottom, where the fishies and coral are located, and given the limited speed of the power units. I wonder how much of an impediment the unit is to vertical travel. Since a lot of my photos are of the fish, how much, if any, impact is there on the fish, i.e. does the sound of the motor chase them off? And lastly, is this power unit more useful simply as a tug boat to get me from one place to another, and I leave it floating when I go down (presumably it has positive or at least neutral bouyancy), or must I keep in constant contact with it throughout the who time I am in the water?

I actually own one of these snorkel scooters, and used it last year on our cruise. You do need 2 hands to run it. In fact, my husband rigged a fastener to ours to fasten our video camera to it. He can turn it on, then just scoot around while it is filming.

The one we have will float on the water when you stop and let go of it, but I'm not sure they will all float. If you have one that floats, then you could go out to where you wanted to go, then leave it at the surface and go down and snap pictures. But I cannot imagine a way you could use it to go down, hold onto both handles, and still be able to snap pictures.

We went on an RCCL sponsered Power Snorkle excursion in Cozumel and had a good time but would not do it again. The area where we were brought, was not the best for snorkling. Not much coral or many varieties of fish. You can use the machine to assist in diving, remove one hand to snap a quick pic and ascend. If you are an experienced snorkler, like you sound, a regular snorkleing excursion might be more enjoyable for you. Again, JMHO...

I own one too, and have taken it on cruises a number of times. I have gotten used to operating it and taking photos/movies at the same time, but I suspect that for the first time user, you will find it a bit awkward. Just take your time, stop, photo and resume. It is really good to have your camera attached to you with a long loop.

Archived