Avoiding sea sickness which cabing?

WaileaKid

My wife is mildly sea-sick. Other than not going on a cruise at all, what are the best options to avoid sea-sickness? I am particularly looking for options to choose a caabin. With everything equal would you recommend a mid-ship cabin on lowest decks or the upper decks (6 levels above the lowest)? Does the vertical location of the cabing matter if we are mid-ship already?

The price difference is about 50$ so I am wondering if it is worth it.

Thanks.

My wife is mildly sea-sick. Other than not going on a cruise at all, what are the best options to avoid sea-sickness? I am particularly looking for options to choose a caabin. With everything equal would you recommend a mid-ship cabin on lowest decks or the upper decks (6 levels above the lowest)? Does the vertical location of the cabing matter if we are mid-ship already?

The price difference is about 50$ so I am wondering if it is worth it.

Thanks.

low deck and as close to mid ship as possible. also take bonine 1 hour before the ship leaves and every morning thereafter.

Its my opinion that cabin location will make little difference if she gets sick or not. It the water is rough the whole ship will be rocking. Many say the lower and more centered you get the better. BUT the 2 times I have been out with rough seas it was (to me) equally rough on any of the decks and areas I was at.

Have her take Ginger and maybe Meclazine. They are my two best friends as I tend to get motoin sickness. BUT with the two items above I have never been sick enough to need to toss up my cookies.

Best of luck and Enjoy your cruise.

Low and midship makes a huge difference. I have never been seasick (knock on wood), but my mom and sister have sensitive stomaches. I think on the first night they put on a seasick patch and they had no issues. It may cause blurry vision though. It was hilarious seeing them try to read the menu:D.

I also take bonine. I take two right before I go to bed every night starting on land the night before the cruise. This way when I am drowsy about an hour later, it works out perfect because it is bed time.

they have non drowsy bonine now and it has never made me tired.

Good to know :). I never saw the point of being nausea-free only to sleep the whole time.

Yes, but even Bonine (which is the non-drowsy version) can make you sleepy. I've only taken a Bonine 3 times, and each time, I've gotten very sleepy about an hour later. 2 of those times, I did take it mid-day. Typically speaking, the less medication (OTC or prescription) you usually take, the more sleepy Bonine can make you, because any drug will have a stronger effect on someone who doesn't usually take meds.

If the waves are rough, the whole ship will feel it. But being midship definitely helps. It's not as rough.

Archived