First time on Priceline. **** Miami for $70!

luczai

Thank you to everyone who gave advice. I never had the nerve to try Priceline before, but thanks to everyone at Cruise Critic's help and encouragement, I got a one-night pre-cruise stay at the Royal Palm Crowne Plaza Resort on August 14 for $70!! I'm really excited! It's right on the beach and the money I save will more than make up for the extra ground transfer fares to South Beach. The lowest rate the hotel offers on its site is $157.99. If you're nervous about Priceline, do a lot of research and then go for it!

• 3 years later...
I am afraid of trying it because you have to commit and pay up front for a hotel that you don't choose, correct? How do you do that?
Anyone with lots of experience could enlighten me! I'd love to know! Thanks!

I have used Priceline and Hotwire many times and have never been disappointed.

HOWEVER, you have to do your homework. There are websites out there that explain in detail how to bid, what hotels people are currently winning, and what hotels have popped up in the past. Be knowledgeable about the hotels in the location you are looking by reading Tripadvisor reports. I usually only book four star hotels unless I'm pretty positive of the identity of a 2.5 or 3 star.

I ALWAYS use PL or HW for renting cars. They only use the major players and you can't go wrong in my opinion.

I have never used these sites for air travel. I simply prefer to have more control over my flights.

A lot of people don't do the homework and are disappointed. Personally, doing the research is one of the things I love about travel and so it's just a part of the journey for me.

Good luck!

[quote name='janeke2']I am afraid of trying it because you have to commit and pay up front for a hotel that you don't choose, correct? How do you do that?
Anyone with lots of experience could enlighten me! I'd love to know! Thanks![/quote]

If you have any specific requirements like bedding arrangement (2 vs 1 bed), location of the room, large group traveling together, then don't use it. You need to call the hotel directly after winning a bid, to REQUEST the bedding, location etc. But it won't be guaranteed. If it's just 2 of you treaveling and you have no specific wants, you can get great deals.

That said, PL is based on demand. If you're looking for a room in peak season, you won't get a deal on the most desired locations. All beginners should go to the 2 sites which give instructions and help in bidding. betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com Those sites will explain the process and the nuances like free bids, timing etc.

If you always bid on 4 star hotels, I don't think you can be too disappointed. Unless again, you have your mind set on one particular hotel, and don't get it. YES, they are non cancelable reservations.

Hi everyone,

I have never tried Priceline but from reading all these posts, I am getting quite interested in attempting it LOL

I will definitely read the information on the different sites provided but I wanted to ask a question first.

If I am travelling with my husband and two teen daughters and we wish to share a room, it would NOT be wise to use Priceline? Am I understanding that correctly?

Thanks so much guys. These boards can certainly save us LOTS of money and I really appreciate everyone knowledge :)

Teri

[quote name='cookie1961']Hi everyone,

If I am travelling with my husband and two teen daughters and we wish to share a room, it would NOT be wise to use Priceline? Am I understanding that correctly?

Teri[/quote]

Hi Teri,

The problem that COULD happen is you are given a room with a king bed. Has happened to other families before. It just depends on what is available at the time of registration.

What we do, because my DH and I WANT the king bed as opposed to 2, is...
1) 2 days after I "win" the hotel, I call the hotel directly and [U]request[/U] the king room. The reason I wait a couple days is that sometimes PL doesn't notify the hotel right away. Can take a day or 2 before being added to the hotel's res. system.

2) A few days before the trip, I email the hotel and again request the King. They always send a reply saying they received my request and will "do their best." Their hotel site will have a contact email address.

Now in our case, it really wouldn't matter. But in your case, you'd end up having to get a second room if they insited there were no doubles left. And the rates would be at the given rate that day. Not necessarily the PL price. So the choice is yours. There is no guarantee. And it IS non refundable.

I found the easiest way to learn PL technique is when we travel for a weekend somewhere or to the State U. for an overnight and sports event. Then we don't have any need for particular location or view etc. Can have fun going after the deals. Maybe if you and your husband travel alone, it might be a better time to learn the ropes.

Good luck. It IS fun once you get the chance to use it.

I have stayed in this hotel twice pre and post cruise. Both times got it on Priceline. It is right on the beach (separated by a paved walkway) and is centrally located between Espanola Way (with the BEST mojitos) and Lincoln Ave (Nexxt is a great place to eat but watch out - the portions are huge. Order one of something, split it and drink more mojitos). Walk next door and check out Loews for an amazing step back in time. For $70, you got a GREAT deal!

Archived