Experience Denali with Alaska Geographic Tour?

txmomcruiser

We are doing a Princess "Family" Cruisetour in July 2011. While at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge we are scheduled for the "Experience Denali with Alaska Geographic" tour. I can't find any info on this tour, has anyone been on it before? What is involved? Do you get a tour inside Denali We are traveling with 2 boys 8&5.

It appears to be an upgrade for an additional fee from the much less interesting Natural History Tour. Alaska Geographic is a highly respected organization with incredible publications (all keepers as far as I am concerned.) I try to keep up with such things and haven't heard of it in past seasons.

If you can't do the longer Tundra Wilderness Tour or don't think your young children would want to ride for so long on a school bus, this Alaska Geo tour may be just the ride you want. Perhaps someone will report back when the new season begins.

Here's a link to Alaska Geographic.http://www.alaskageographic.org/

The tour has been run in previous years but is undergoing changes every year. My understanding is that the current version is to take people out to the new parking area by the Savage River campground at about Mile11 (they may go as far as the Savage River turnaround at Mile 14 but not further) and do a nature hike down to the river on the new trails. They are building a trail from the parking area to connect with the Savage River parking lot and trail, but I don't know if it will be done this season or in use for this tour. I believe they also have a stop at the Visitor Center and an opportunity to view the film, shop in the Alaska Geographic bookstore, etc. and at the Murie Science Center across the street to look at pelts and skeletons.

There are a couple of versions of this tour, one for Princess and one for RCCI. The Princess tour puts an emphasis on science and natural history and talks about research projects in the park.

This tour is not a substitute for the shuttle or the TNT. You might see a moose or a caribou if you are lucky. If you think your kids are up to it, you might want to schedule a shuttle at least as far as Toklat or Polychrome if your goal is to see wildlife.

Archived