best side to view entrance to St M ??

crusingici

We haven't arrived on the Epic, which may take a different route, but twice on the Victory we followed the same arrival, along the West then Southern coast into Great Bay, and the Port side offered a lot more to see, including the America's Cup race.

th_DSCF0303.jpg

(click)

Starboard side would have had a great view of Saba in the morning, but we got to see it on the way out in the evening.

th_DSCN4743.jpg

gary

Hi all - we will be on the EPIC for the Eastern itinerary -- is one side of the ship better than another for scenic entry to St M and St Thomas from our balcony?

Thanks!

No guarantee as to how the ship docks.

However, the two times I was there, port had better view of the harbor. Starboard not much to see.

Then again, even if you are on the port side, and the Oasis or some other large ship docks next to you, you will have a view of that ship.

Find the "secret deck" up forward just below the bridge level...Should be a doorway/hatch leading out from the cabin passageways. It'll be windy but you'll see everything coming in. Else just stand on the Lido or Sun decks and take your pick. Definitely aft deck for leaving.

I find that docking is what wakes me up so what happens 20 minutes before that doesn't really matter to me. The last time that we arrived by ship to St. Maarten I had ordered breakfast to eat out on the balcony. This was the only port day that we decided to do this. Well, before it came I noticed that we were docking right beside the oil tankers and it was just not the ambiance that I had in mind. I canceled breakfast and we went to the MDR. The crew member on the other end of the phone did not seemed surprised in the least.

Archived