Help in planning 2012 Alaska cruise

gacruiser5

Hubby and I want to go to Alaska in 2012. Trying to decide between RCCI, Princess and Carnival. Also need help in choosing cabin type. Starboard or port side for Alaska? Aft looks good, but not sure about rough Pacific seas. Only been sick one time on all five cruises. Don't want to be around lots of smokers. Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay? Any advice, pics, would be appreciated.

Glacier Bay for sure - over Tracy Arm. And of the three lines, I would choose Princess. Wondering why HAL isn't on your list? IMHO, they have the best itineraries and times in port of all three you listed, though I also believe Princess offers some comparable sailings. For Alaska, it is NOT about the ship, atleast for us, its about the port times and glacier viewing with Hubbard Glacier being our favorite, and Glacier Bay running a close second. Can't comment on Tracy Arm....yet....I'll be sailing on HAL's 14 day itinerary (again!) this coming August, so hoping to see for myself!

Either way, whichever cruiseline - enjoy your time in the Great Land. It is amazing! And you'll be back!

We loved Glacier Bay. It and Hubbard are the 2 biggies when it comes to glacier viewing, and if you don't see glaciers, you've missed a big part of Alaska. Tracy Arm is often blocked by ice, so, if you even get into the Arm, there's no guarantee that you'll get to the end to see the glaciers. I'd recommend Princess or HAL sailing out of Vancouver. Sailing out of Seattle, you have 2 days in the Pacific with no scenic views, and the Pacific can be rough. Out of Vancouver, it's scenic almost the entire cruise. HAL does a round trip if you don't want to do a one way. If you go for a one way, my first choice would be Princess southbound which includes both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. The advantage of a one way is getting to go inland at the northern end pre or post cruise.

Your first step should be to look at the itineraries and find one that best fits your time, interests and price. While personally I am not a fan of Carnival, I acknowledge that there are lots of people who are. A seven day return itinerary out of Vancouver is superior to that out of Seattle. The Vancouver itinerary is sailed entirely in the Inside Passage and the scenery is non-stop. Whereas the Seattle one is sailed on the west side of Vancouver Island where there is no scenery in either direction for the better part of a day and there is much more likelihood of rough seas. IMO Princess southbound "Voyage of the Glaciers" is pretty hard to beat as it visits both the Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. In 2012 Princess is adding a 4 ship to ply this itinerary. I have had both starboard and port side cabins while I tend to prefer the starboard side, frankly there is little to choose from...to really enjoy all that Alaska has to offer you need to spend a lot of time on deck or in a lounge where you can see both sides.

GACRUISERS5,

Here's another thought...or two...or three

Sail south from Anchorage via Seward or Whittier. On a seven day voyage you will sail into Vancouver. Vancouver is 1,300 miles closer to Georgia than Anchorage. You will probably have sailed to Hubbard Glacier and then on to the coastal villages of Sitka or Juneau, or Ketchikan, or Skagway, or Icy Straits.

Alaska is unique and think of your upcoming cruise as your FIRST.

We have cruised there in June and September. Both months were wonderful. We were totally prepared for inclement weather on both cruises. We didn't let the weather become a factor.

We didn't have issues with the mosquitos of July or August. I'm not even sure we saw a flying insect.

There is no doubt an aft cabin is the best but it may already be too late to get one. When you book ask to be waitlisted for an aft if it is in your budget.

Compare itineraries carefully, especially the length of port days. For example taking the White Pass train onward into Canada or a private excursion to Emerald Lake and Corcross requires an entire day in port. Some think Sitka or Icy Straits need only a half day.

Do plan on arriving at least a day prior to sailing. If you fly to Anchorage this is a given, Delta's direct flights from Atlanta are great.

Learn more on the Ports of Call board dedicated to Alaska and when you choose your ship and sailing date please join your Roll Call. You will benefit from the efforts of your fellow passengers.

• 1 month later...
GACRUISERS5,

Here's another thought...or two...or three

Sail south from Anchorage via Seward or Whittier. On a seven day voyage you will sail into Vancouver. Vancouver is 1,300 miles closer to Georgia than Anchorage. You will probably have sailed to Hubbard Glacier and then on to the coastal villages of Sitka or Juneau, or Ketchikan, or Skagway, or Icy Straits.

Alaska is unique and think of your upcoming cruise as your FIRST.

We have cruised there in June and September. Both months were wonderful. We were totally prepared for inclement weather on both cruises. We didn't let the weather become a factor.

We didn't have issues with the mosquitos of July or August. I'm not even sure we saw a flying insect.

There is no doubt an aft cabin is the best but it may already be too late to get one. When you book ask to be waitlisted for an aft if it is in your budget.

Compare itineraries carefully, especially the length of port days. For example taking the White Pass train onward into Canada or a private excursion to Emerald Lake and Corcross requires an entire day in port. Some think Sitka or Icy Straits need only a half day.

Do plan on arriving at least a day prior to sailing. If you fly to Anchorage this is a given, Delta's direct flights from Atlanta are great.

Learn more on the Ports of Call board dedicated to Alaska and when you choose your ship and sailing date please join your Roll Call. You will benefit from the efforts of your fellow passengers.

How exactly do roll calls work? Does someone here on the site set it up? Then do you meet on the cruise? That sounds like fun. I am booking on Diamond Princess (#MB6) for May 27, 2012 cruise tour.

..... I'd recommend Princess or HAL sailing out of Vancouver. Sailing out of Seattle, you have 2 days in the Pacific with no scenic views, and the Pacific can be rough. Out of Vancouver, it's scenic almost the entire cruise. HAL does a round trip if you don't want to do a one way. If you go for a one way, my first choice would be Princess southbound which includes both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. The advantage of a one way is getting to go inland at the northern end pre or post cruise.

I agree with the above comment. HAL is between the oldest in this area, and they hav e indeed concessions for excellent inland trips in Alaska, combined with cruises. They have ice class vessels in structure also very suitable if "real" heavy weathers should occur. (.. and we had one between Faklands and Ushuaia in december!)

You have splendid views out from the Crows nest even in case of windy weathers.

Service and food are very good (both free seating or fixed at choice)

Have a look at their website and or brochures on Alaska. You will be surprised of their offer.

Note that Princess also uses HAL facilities. (Both belong to the same financial group Carnival Limited)

How exactly do roll calls work? Does someone here on the site set it up? Then do you meet on the cruise? That sounds like fun. I am booking on Diamond Princess (#MB6) for May 27, 2012 cruise tour.

Someone who's going on your cruise sets it up - you can do it if no one else has. Go to the roll call area - find your cruise line - then look for a post with your ship and date. If you can't find it you can start one.

We went to Alaska on RCI - you're going to love Alaska. The link to our pics is in my signature if you would like an idea of what you'll see.

Archived