Fjords

Read somewhere on this forum that Thomson are cruiing here in 2012' date=' anyone tell me what time of year is best to go? Have been to TA to ask to be told as soon as they go on sale as it sounds as though it's really popular.

Thanks ;)[/quote']

They don't start sailing there until May usually and through June, July and August. We went the second week of May and there had just been a snow fall on the mountain tops. It was very picturesque but the wind whipping down the Fjords from over the mountains was a bit keen! They did say it was an unseasonally late fall though. We have also been twice in July/Aug all the way up to the North Cape and it was lovely - we had a temp of 30 in Tromso which is way above the Arctic Circle. (again, I don't think that is necessarily typical!)

Bergen is renowned for rain (is it 320 days of the year? Something like that - although not necessarily all day! :eek: ).

It's an area you go to for the scenery - not for hot weather. It's best to go prepared with layers so that you can adapt appropriately. It is the most stunning scenery - absolutely awesome (in the true sense of the word) and provided you're not looking for beaches and excitement it's an area definitely worth a visit. We love it - and are eagerly awaiting the brochure! :)

Thanks for the info. It sounds like my sort of cruise. We are going on the Spirit for the first time this Oct' date=' Adriatic Explorer. Can't wait as everyone says what a good ship and crew it is.:)[/quote']

my wife and myself have been on spirit three times,great ship ,great crew you will love it :):)

Thanks for the info. It sounds like my sort of cruise. We are going on the Spirit for the first time this Oct' date=' Adriatic Explorer. Can't wait as everyone says what a good ship and crew it is.:)[/quote']

We did this trip last year on Spirit - it was one of the best trips we've done - fab destinations.

Here is a link to the review I did last year - all relevant except Korcula which has been replaced by Split. We did Split on the Celebration the year before (it was that good - we did it again the following year!!! :D) Split is a tender port, but they drop you right in the centre of town. You can wander through Diocletian's Palace (free - it's got all kinds of buildings inside it - more like a walled mini-toen then a Palace) which is interesting. There is also an attractive promenade with cafes. Nice place to visit! Enjoy! :)

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1205933&highlight=adriatic+explorer

P.S. If you haven't tried it - you can do a search on this forum which will give you links to lots of info which is specific to Thomson itineraries and excursions - as well as what other posters have tried on a DiY basis. Go to the 'Search this Forum' box - top right of the table and put in key words (I did 'Adriatic Explorer' for the link I've just posted - there's a lot more than just that link too). But since you're getting in the mood :D and waiting for THE brochure - you can also check out 'Fjords' and 'North Cape' reviews in anticipation too! And I should say the Baltics are fab as well - you've got loads to look forward to! ;)

Archived