Baby Monitors

bankerbabe

Most if not all baby monitors use the electrical wiring for communication. So IT would depend on how much wiring is between the two devices next door may be alright across the hall may not be. The monitor is on all the time. walkie talkies on the other hand communicate through the air and can go through some obstacles. Two different technologies. You decide!

That is exactly what I was thinking that mom and dad may want to each have a kid in their rooms. It is a little uncomfortable breaking the news to a 15 year old that you have a "baby" monitor for him and it may not be such a good idea to try unless a parent can explain it better then I would be able to without making the 15 year old give up on me, but I certainly understand parents wanting the kids protected. Parents picking cabins is a good option. I tend to agree that if mom and dad need a baby monitor for a 15 year old they should probably not be alone as it is not just at night that kids can get into trouble. A good Walkie Talkie to make sure you know where the kids are if separated may make more sense as they have some control day and night and it won't make for an uncomfortable situation of having to explain baby monitors to a 15 year old. 15 is a tough age as they can get a driver's license soon.

I took my grandson once a year from age 8 to age 17... I can tell you that at 15, he wanted to be out and about with his new friends, not going to bed with a little one. I certainly wouldn't leave the younger child in the cabin alone, nor would I expect the 15 year old to follow the schedule of a younger sibling....

Heck, at 15, Club 02 teeners are having midnight pizza parties on Lido or dancing their socks of at a teen club or disco......not hanging around in the cabin with a little kid....

It still catches me off-guard when people go off on a tangent about what people need to do with their children.

Then monitoring them should be a non-issue, correct?

YES! Baby monitors will work splendidly. There's absolutely NO WAY a fifteen-year-old will be able to think his way past that!

Do what YOU feel comfortable doing. Putting a baby monitor in their cabin has the added bonus of them not inviting any friends back to the cabin...

ETA: We tried that baby-monitor thing on our last cruise on the Mexican Riviera. It worked fine until bedtime. My wife and I got absolutely no sleep that night because of the monitor. The second night we agreed to remove the monitor and let our son enjoy his Honeymoon...

I took my grandson once a year from age 8 to age 17... I can tell you that at 15' date=' he wanted to be out and about with his new friends, not going to bed with a little one. I certainly wouldn't leave the younger child in the cabin alone, nor would I expect the 15 year old to follow the schedule of a younger sibling....

Heck, at 15, Club 02 teeners are having midnight pizza parties on Lido or dancing their socks of at a teen club or disco......not hanging around in the cabin with a little kid....[/quote']

Yes there is a big difference between 10 and 15 so the challenge is to try and customize expectations for each. I really credit this mom for seeking solutions as opposed to children racing all over the ship at all hours with the potential dangers. Because he is 15 mom and dad may be better off with Walkie Talkies because of the functions they have for age appropriate kids. If the 15 year old is doing something with his age group the 10 year old may be alone in the cabin so the bigger issue may be that a 15 year old should not be caught in a 10 year old's schedule and a 10 year old should not be alone, as you said.

I think it is hard for parents to find a solution that works completely with different age groups so she is on the right track to think about it now.

YES! Baby monitors will work splendidly. There's absolutely NO WAY a fifteen-year-old will be able to think his way past that!

Do what YOU feel comfortable doing. Putting a baby monitor in their cabin has the added bonus of them not inviting any friends back to the cabin...

ETA: We tried that baby-monitor thing on our last cruise on the Mexican Riviera. It worked fine until bedtime. My wife and I got absolutely no sleep that night because of the monitor. The second night we agreed to remove the monitor and let our son enjoy his Honeymoon...

ROFL! Hysterical!

If I put a baby monitor in my sons cabin when he was 15 , I could only imagine what wisenheimer stunts he would have pulled.

DW and I would be up all night listening to him making fake "bodily function noises" *LOL* and laughing hysterically :)

Plus with those monitors, can't they hear what is going on in your cabin just as you can hear what is going on in theirs ?.......baaaaaad move *LOL*

Boy i bet your daughter in law loves you *LOL*

Just kidding , That was very funny :)

Archived