Is Oosterdam still going to Mazatlan?

cat4151

Have seen a couple posts today about several cruise lines pulling out of Mazatlan for the rest of the spring and wanted to know if anyone has any info on the Oosterdam. Sailing on the O in 2 weeks and I understand if they have to change but it would be nice if they would give us some notice so we can plan what to do in which ever port they decide to go.:confused:

We just sailed on the O from the 12th-19th, and we DID stop in Mazatlan. I think they only pulled out for one week to make a point, but WILL be stopping there as scheduled from now on. (Unless something really unfortunate happens anyway).

We depart tomorrow on the Oosterdam - My guess is that it will NOT be going to Mazatlan, unfortunately.

Guess we'll find out this next week :)

I'm eager to see if you all stop too. We're on the Oosterdam at the end of the month and have been really looking forward to visiting Randi and her happy horses in Mazatlan.

On the ship right now - No notificiation yet of any change in schedule but I would expect a decision will be made on Monday.

Carnival Spirit and Splendor are pulled next week... have to assume HAL will be pulled as well considering they are all Carnival Corp.

kkorman, I read that Splendor is not stopping at Mazatlan but the last I heard is that they didn't decide yet about Spirit. Where did you read that Spirit is ALSO not stopping?

I thought that someone had posted that J.H. had it on his blog. I might be, or they might be, mistaken as I did not personally look it up on the blog.

The primary reason we chose the Oosterdam cruise was because it did dock in Mazatlan. I just wish everyone would quit speculating and reporting rumors. Let's just wait and when we get on the ship - take advantadge of the wonderful time that we will have. I will be greatly disappointed if we DON'T get to dock there, but will still have a wonderful vacation to remember.

This thread has been beat to death. Let the poor horse get buried.:)

kkorman, I read that Splendor is not stopping at Mazatlan but the last I heard is that they didn't decide yet about Spirit. Where did you read that Spirit is ALSO not stopping?

I thought that someone had posted that J.H. had it on his blog. I might be, or they might be, mistaken as I did not personally look it up on the blog.

Just off the Oosterdam yesterday, the 26th and we DID stop in Mazatlan along with the Sapphire Princess and I am happy to say that we all left that day safe and sound and with all of our fingers and toes. Its a big city. Bad things sometimes happen in big cities. Pick up a newspaper from any big city from around the world....

The primary reason we chose the Oosterdam cruise was because it did dock in Mazatlan. I just wish everyone would quit speculating and reporting rumors. Let's just wait and when we get on the ship - take advantadge of the wonderful time that we will have. I will be greatly disappointed if we DON'T get to dock there, but will still have a wonderful vacation to remember.

This thread has been beat to death. Let the poor horse get buried.:)

Not trying to speculate just trying to plan, so we don't end up going to a port that I know nothing about and spend half my time at the port trying to figure out what's the best thing to do/see there. Customer service was closed at the time I had this question and I thought maybe someone had already talked with them and might have the answer. I did talk to them after this post and their answer to me is that they are "definitely not going to stop going to Mazatlan". But either way you're right it will be a wonderful vacation, just trying to make the most of it:)

on the odam right now saling towards mazatlan.. no change communicated yet....

pmd - thanks for reporting live.

WOW, WOW and WOW! I am VERY shocked at HAL's decision to still go to Maz considering the 1/2 dozen or so dead bodies hanging from their bridges on Monday.....

If you do get off there - watch your back - be safe.

Have a great rest of your cruise.

Canuck

Sitting in the crowes nest right now with a coffee and as far as i know still sailing towards Mazatlan. Wish HAL had a tv screen map to show where we are though.... 715am two islands ahead and looks like pilots ship coming alongside... foggy out.......

PMD Have a great day and let us know about Mazatlan. I hope NCL reverses their decision to skip Maz. I like the port.

I haven't been able to find the news report on bodies hanging from bridges. The reference I saw was some old stuff about other towns. Anybody got a link to the story ?

Does anyone have any more information on this hanging story? I can only find 1 article on it, seems like this would be major news. Anyone in Mazatlan know? Was this far from the city? I find it hard to believe that any cruise ship would stop there if this story is true.

PMD Have a great day and let us know about Mazatlan. I hope NCL reverses their decision to skip Maz. I like the port.

I haven't been able to find the news report on bodies hanging from bridges. The reference I saw was some old stuff about other towns. Anybody got a link to the story ?

Here's the link to Latino Fox News story about the hangings. I agree that it's strange that this hasn't gotten more press coverage. I guess the press is de-sensitized to violence in Mexico and would rather cover Libya and Charlie Sheen. http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2011/03/01/5-bodies-hanging-bridges-mexican-city/

Does anyone have any more information on this hanging story? I can only find 1 article on it, seems like this would be major news. Anyone in Mazatlan know? Was this far from the city? I find it hard to believe that any cruise ship would stop there if this story is true.

Here is a link to another story on the Fox News website about Spring Break concerns in foreign cities. Mazatlan is singled out in the last paragraph and described as "perhaps the most consistently violent of Mexico's resort cities during the past year . . .." It even says that bodies of victims of drug cartels turn up on the streets on a weekly basis. So I guess 5 more bodies hanging from a bridge is no longer big news. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/02/28/dangers-lurk-spring-breaks-dangerous-destinations/ Some CC members like to say that this is no different from violent crime in an American city. But here we catch most murderers, then prosecute, convict and imprison them.

And yet the Oosterdam is reportedly docked there today. I am puzzled and don't know what to make of it.

Archived