Just off the Valor...

frazzledrazzle16

We debarked early this morning and now on the long drive back to Chicago. Had a great time... A few highlights: (sorry if my grammar/spelling is terrible! This is all on my iPhone)

-Weather was postcard perfect all week. For the first time in at least 4 cruises there was NO RAIN... Hardly saw a cloud in the sky! It's going to be rough going back to freezing weather.

-First cruise as Platinum... Some perks were nice (like the embarkation lounge... As we were headed onto the ship some people in the regular line started to follow us on, they were stopped and got angry. I actually heard one yell "what makes them so special". I never believed in the whole 'VIP backlash' until then!), but some of the perks never materialized (there was a huge line to tender back onto the ship in Belize but when we asked Carnival security if we could get onto the next tender because we were platinum, we were told no and to go to the end of the line... Oh well!)

-Ports... Grand Cayman we did the highlights tour that went to the Turtle Farm, Hell, and the rum factory. Cozumel we just bummed around the port. Belize we saw the Mayan Ruins at Xunantunich (really cool but spent majority of time on the bus). Roatan went to the beach.

-Roatan was GORGEOUS! I would totally sail this same route just to go there again! We had to be back on board by 2:30... It really wasn't long enough.

-Tried Anytime Dining for the first time. It was definitely more convenient but the servers were overloaded and messed up our orders a few times. Last night we skipped dessert because our meal took an hour and a half & they forgot some of the appetizers. We would definitely do it again though just for the flexibility.

-Entertainment staff was very likeable & friendly, but there was a noticeable lack of activites most days... It could be because itinerary was so port heavy. Schedule sometimes didn't make sense, like when they scheduled formal night the same day as the longest tendering port (Belize). Our tour was on the first tender out and one of the last tenders back, so by the time we got back we were already super tired and had to rush to get ready (we <3 our formal nights lol)

-Staff was awesome, especially our room steward (his name was Three but I'm sure that's not how you spell it). He brought our luggage into our room, kept our cabins impeccable, made sure there were no shards on the floor when we accidentally knocked over a glass, always stopped to ask about our day or joke around, and gave us each a big hug goodbye this morning. Also ran into a hostess (Dewy) that we befriended on one of our prior cruises (makes it the THIRD time we've sailed with her, the last time being 2 years ago... What are the chances??)

Ok that's all I can think of for now... Let me know if I forgot anything. All questions are welcome! I have a longgg drive to answer them!

so glad you had a great cruise! How does the ship look after dry dock? Did you try out serenity? We were on Valor in sept 09....we thought the ship and crew were fabulous, so we booked a do over:) We have done the drive to chicago. Thank goodness you have the iphone to play with!

so glad you had a great cruise! How does the ship look after dry dock? Did you try out serenity? We were on Valor in sept 09....we thought the ship and crew were fabulous, so we booked a do over:) We have done the drive to chicago. Thank goodness you have the iphone to play with!

Everything is so new & clean, but suprisingly there was still work being done throughout the cruise. We were on deck 10 all the way fwd, and the 'secret' deck at the front if the ship was closed off the entire trip. We heard a lot of noise going on out there during the day while they were working, but it wasn't too much of an inconvenience as we were not in our rooms much. Also, they were still replacing the carpeting in our hallway.

Serenity was wonderful... We had a sun bed for sailaway and I was fortunate enough to find a lounger one other day, but it was too crowded most of the time to find a space & chair hogs were in full force.

-Roatan was GORGEOUS! I would totally sail this same route just to go there again! We had to be back on board by 2:30... It really wasn't long enough.

-Tried Anytime Dining for the first time. It was definitely more convenient but the servers were overloaded and messed up our orders a few times. Last night we skipped dessert because our meal took an hour and a half & they forgot some of the appetizers. We would definitely do it again though just for the flexibility.

-Entertainment staff was very likeable & friendly, but there was a noticeable lack of activites most days... It could be because itinerary was so port heavy.

I was on the Valor back in Oct 2010, and I have a few questions:

1) When you were in Roatan, was the Valor the only ship in port, or was the Dream there also?

2) What was your opinion of the food onboard?

3) Who was the cruise director? When we were onboard it was Goose (Gustav Neumann).

1) When you were in Roatan, was the Valor the only ship in port, or was the Dream there also?

3) Who was the cruise director? When we were onboard it was Goose (Gustav Neumann).

How often do the cruise directors change? I was on the Valor in Sept., a few weeks before you and we had Big Tex as our cruise director... Also when we were in Roatan the Triumph was there the same day.

Which dining room had the anytime dining?

Lincoln dining room... top level

Were there special phone rates to call US from the cabin? Do you remember the cost per minute?

I don't remember seeing anything about special rates but Cellular At Sea was around $6.99/minute, texts were $2.00

How often do the cruise directors change? I was on the Valor in Sept., a few weeks before you and we had Big Tex as our cruise director... Also when we were in Roatan the Triumph was there the same day.

It seems that the cruise directors work 6 to 8 months straight with 2 months off. But, I am generalizing here. Some cruise critic members have posted the CD schedule here on the boards. If you do a search, you will find it. There is one CD who has been on the Paradise for years it seems. I am speaking of Jeff Bronson. We had him on the Paradise way back in 2003 when she was still based in Miami. I am curious why he doesn't move around like the other cruise directors.

I'm doing this cruise in a few weeks.

How was the water temps in port?

Island Tour in Grand Cayman, did you enjoy it? We have this booked but haven't seen many reviews on it.

Anything you wouldn't miss on the ship? This is our first with carnival, we're used to sailing RCCL.

Thanks in advance!

Island Tour in Grand Cayman, did you enjoy it? We have this booked but haven't seen many reviews on it.

Anything you wouldn't miss on the ship? This is our first with carnival, we're used to sailing RCCL.

Thanks in advance!

when we were on her last the burrito bar was great! Looking forward to trying out serenity!

Sorry guys, we stopped in Atlanta for the night and I took the first shift driving early this morning! We're just south of Nashville now, so there's still a long stretch of road ahead of us.

We were the only ones... It was really nice!

I really enjoyed it... The burrito bar is an awesome addition to the lido buffet. We also got to enjoy the steak house. I don't think I've ever had a better NY strip in my life (esp. with the bulb of roasted garlic on top... YUM)!! Anything specific about the food you want to know about???

We also had Goose. He seemed friendly enough but Ive definitely had better CD's in the past.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Roatan as that is one island we haven't been and are looking forward to. Do you happen to know who the piano player was?

Do you have copies of daily papers and camp carnival papers?

No sorry... Unfortunately the piano bar was one place we were meaning to check out but never did. My sister is going to do an in-depth review on her travel blog & on CC, and I'm sure she's going to post the Fun Times & menus (she's the one who does those "World's Longest...." reviews).

Thanks in advance!

I'm guessing that you're asking if the water was cold for this time of year?? We only went into the water @ Roatan and it was perfect, not cold at all but very refreshing for how hot it was.

This was our second time in Grand Cayman (we were there back in 2005) and we did the same tour then. It is so much more commercialized/touristy from the first time around... I felt like they were just taking us souvenir shop to souviner shop. The turtle farm used to just be tanks of turtles and a few touch tanks, but now it's a whole resort with a beach, museum, and exhibits (we were not allowed in beach area). Our tour guide barely gave us any info about what we were driving by & about the island (except when he was early taking us back, he drove thru his neighborhood to show us what GC was really like and then didn't hesitate pandering for tips at the end). When we were on the tour the first time, our guide gave a thorough tour, took us through all different neighborhoods and points of interests, stopped at one of the most beautiful lookout spots by the ocean so we could take pictures . TBH I wish we would have just taken a cab to 7 mile beach.

Some things not to miss... Tea time on sea days, the 80's show was pretty spectacular, serenity adults only deck, the Mexican fiesta deck party, trivia if you like that kind of thing, cooking demonstration/samples (no fee) and wine tasting ($15 fee but well worth it) at the steakhouse. Also, they do a good job of hiding it in the Fun Times bc hardly anyone was there but the fairwell party has free drinks (a lot of new carnival cruisers don't know about it).

Is there a band by the pool or was it replaced by the large movie screen? I would rather hear the band and calypso music than listen to movies all day.

I'm taking this cruise next December. First time on Carnival.

They have always had the big screen by the pool but it just plays beach scenes during the daytime. The band stand is right below it with a tropical/calypso group playing most days. The only time they play movies is at night.

• 3 weeks later...
No sorry... Unfortunately the piano bar was one place we were meaning to check out but never did. My sister is going to do an in-depth review on her travel blog & on CC, and I'm sure she's going to post the Fun Times & menus (she's the one who does those "World's Longest...." reviews).

Do u happen to know if your sister posted her review yet and where we could find it?

THANKS!

Why did you have to be back onboard at 2:30 in Roatan?>

we are in this port until 6pm.

--

The Valor will be our first platinum cruise and know that we can disembark first for tender ports but coming back-- that was never a perk was it?

John healds blog now has updated funtimes

She has just started it, Amother great review but has not got to the ship part yet Sunglasses and Umbrella Drinks: The World's Longest Miracle Review, Part 1

click on 2011 posts

oh i thought I recognized her writing. I read a review from her when she did Disney. (read it on the Disboards)

Archived