Casual...I mean casual...

MICHARCH

I understand if you want to be casual. But IMO youshould not even try the main dining room on formal nights. We dress formally (yes tux for DH) and would expect those around us to do the same.

Rules are made for a reason, not to be broken. Just go to the Lido, or use room service

on formal nights.

I don't dress for myself, I dress for my wife. She would prefer I follow the cruise dress code guidelines which does inlcude at least a sport coat and tie. Sure you might be able to sneak in with your choosen code busting attire but if you do make it you will be gawked at by the others that are dressed nicely and some of them will come back here and post photos of you here for all to see that you just didn't "get it" on formal night and what it is all about. If you did 25 years in the business world you know what the meaning of a "formal" night is all about. The cruise line has bent over backwards to lower the standards of what they consider basic nice attire and yet you want to take it one step further so you will feel better about yourself. Okay I get it. Are you going to hide in your cabin when they call for the fire drill? Are you going to save your chairs at the front of the pool for hours on end? Are you going to allow your children to swim in the adults only pools? Are you also going to smoke in the non-smoking areas? I get it. You just want to be "you" and it's all about "you" and nobody else. I get it.

Interesting. While I was making breakfast I thought about the people who think "it's my cruise; I'll do what I want. I paid for it." And then I read what you posted. You're absolutely right -- there is a certain "personality" that puffs out their chest, crosses their arms and defies everything. And not only on HAL; we ran into a horrible set of grandparents/parents with their obnoxious grandkids, 5 under the age 7, who never checked on them or reprimanded them. It was their cruise; they paid for it; by God, their grandkids were going to have fun. Sigh.

YOU are both ranting to the OP & are completely misinterpreting his post..:( Shame on you!

He never said he was going to flaunt the dress code & eat in the MDR without a jacket & tie..He said he was going to avoid any function which required a tie..He also asked nicely if he would be missing much..

Why can't you accept the fact that he will eat in the Lido on formal nights..There is room enough for those who wish to dress formally & those who do not..And he certainly is not "Puffing out his chest"..

Where in the world did the OP say he was going to try and sneak into the MDR, hog chairs, or let his kids swim in the adult pool ?

He simply stated he didn't intend on wearing formal clothes. Was perfectly willing not to attend any event wear formal clothing was to be worn and just wanted to know what he would be missing by not attending these events.

And you immediately fire off not one but two rants at him.

Take it easy , I think your formally dressed happy marriage is started to back up on ya :)

Touché' We enjoy formal nights in the MDR but understand those who do not & are willing to not attend these functions..We also believe that those who rant about people who do not enjoy formal nights are instead "Puffing out their chests" & saying Look at me I'm better than you are!:rolleyes:

To the OP..My DH & I enjoy formal nights in the MDR & believe we would be missing out on the elegant dinner..The Stewards are all dressed in their elegant uniforms & all the chairs are covered in white covers..The dinners on Formal nights are special too..It's wonderful for me to see my DH dressed up too, as living in Fla we rarely get to dress up...

However I think it's entirely up to you & your spouse..If you don't want to dress you can eat in the Lido, but it is a buffet & you will have to serve yourself...If you don't mind that then go for it, or order Room Service..When we eat in the Pinnacle, my DH wears a jacket, with short sleeves too, horrors! However, we've noticed on our last cruise, there are less men wearing jackets in the Pinnacle on Smart Casual nights..

Enjoy your cruise..

Cheers...:)Betty

Honestly, I think the whole notion of the formal wear nights is antiquated. Cruises are still catering to a much older demographic, who lived their earlier lives in a time when this was the norm. In this day and age, it feels a little ridiculous to me to have required 'formal nights'. My husband and I are in our mid-30's. Until a recent friend's wedding, he did not own a suit at all. The suit that he *does* now own has been worn a grand total of one time.....at the friend's wedding!

We don't own formal wear. Why would we?? My husband's work does not require a suit or tie (and those I consider formal...), and we are not 'in' to dressing up. We are not going to purchase or rent a formal outfit for him that will just be uncomfortable. This is a vacation. It is meant to be RELAXING, not stuffy and rule-laden.

This having been said, he is bringing the aforementioned suit and will trot it out (sans tie) on the formal nights. He will be the uncomfortable looking gentleman who rips that coat off the moment he leaves the dining room. And wearing a short-sleeved button down shirt underneath (gasp!!). Wouldn't it be nicer if he was a relaxed, comfortable man in a nice silk shirt enjoying his meal???

YOU are both ranting to the OP & are completely misinterpreting his post..:( Shame on you!

He never said he was going to flaunt the dress code & eat in the MDR without a jacket & tie..He said he was going to avoid any function which required a tie..He also asked nicely if he would be missing much..

Why can't you accept the fact that he will eat in the Lido on formal nights..There is room enough for those who wish to dress formally & those who do not..And he certainly is not "Puffing out his chest"..

Touché' We enjoy formal nights in the MDR but understand those who do not & are willing to not attend these functions..We also believe that those who rant about people who do not enjoy formal nights are instead "Puffing out their chests" & saying Look at me I'm better than you are!:rolleyes:

To the OP..My DH & I enjoy formal nights in the MDR & believe we would be missing out on the elegant dinner..The Stewards are all dressed in their elegant uniforms & all the chairs are covered in white covers..The dinners on Formal nights are special too..It's wonderful for me to see my DH dressed up too, as living in Fla we rarely get to dress up...

However I think it's entirely up to you & your spouse..If you don't want to dress you can eat in the Lido, but it is a buffet & you will have to serve yourself...If you don't mind that then go for it, or order Room Service..When we eat in the Pinnacle, my DH wears a jacket, with short sleeves too, horrors! However, we've noticed on our last cruise, there are less men wearing jackets in the Pinnacle on Smart Casual nights..

Enjoy your cruise..

Cheers...:)Betty

OH MY GOD

Your husband wears short sleeve shirts witha jacket in the MDR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exposing his naked wrists when he reaches for roll ????????

Honey you need to get out of that marriage , you are in a bad situation.

Don't you know men who who expose their naked wrists in public are known beaters and cheaters

Find your spirit ....exhale baby exhale

Steadman ....walk the dogs and then vaccuum

Gayle ....get me a corned beef sandwich extra fatty and a diet cream soda

Oh God ....sorry I got carried away and shifted into Oprah mode *LOL*

Just teaseing Betty , as always I enjoy your posts :)

Honestly, I think the whole notion of the formal wear nights is antiquated. Cruises are still catering to a much older demographic, who lived their earlier lives in a time when this was the norm. In this day and age, it feels a little ridiculous to me to have required 'formal nights'. My husband and I are in our mid-30's. Until a recent friend's wedding, he did not own a suit at all. The suit that he *does* now own has been worn a grand total of one time.....at the friend's wedding!

We don't own formal wear. Why would we?? My husband's work does not require a suit or tie (and those I consider formal...), and we are not 'in' to dressing up. We are not going to purchase or rent a formal outfit for him that will just be uncomfortable. This is a vacation. It is meant to be RELAXING, not stuffy and rule-laden.

This having been said, he is bringing the aforementioned suit and will trot it out (sans tie) on the formal nights. He will be the uncomfortable looking gentleman who rips that coat off the moment he leaves the dining room. And wearing a short-sleeved button down shirt underneath (gasp!!). Wouldn't it be nicer if he was a relaxed, comfortable man in a nice silk shirt enjoying his meal???

I completely agree!

Why some people feel the need to judge others by what they wear is beyond me! I continue to abide by the antiquated dress codes for the MDR on formal night. Each time I do I hope it will be the last time, wishing formal night would become optional in the MDR.

We are a much more casual society, look at Azamara and Oceania cruises… no silly jackets and ties required!

If you want to dress to nines… great, enjoy!!!!!!!! I just do not understand why everyone else has to. What someone else wears to dinner has absolutely no impact on how I enjoy my meal.

People should not be banished to the Lido or room service just because they don't want to wear a jacket.

I have also heard that men who wear short sleave shirts under their jackets are chair hogs, they smoke, drink, AND gamble, they let their children/grandchildren use the adult pool, and they allow them run wild afterward. You can spot them easily....puffed out chests, arms crossed.

I think that Oprah or Dr. Phil should do a few shows about this type of deviant behaviour that seems to be creeping into our society.

It does not seem right that people should be allowed to mind their own business and enjoy their vacations.

Archived