All things Dream!

a3593

Ive been reading in different threads that the water at Great Bay is polluted...however, the posts are from 2011, I haven't seen anything from recent times. Do you know if the water is still bad to go in? I liked the idea of Orient Beach...but with part of it being a nude beach, I'm not sure my 4 year old should be playing there lol...aside from Great Bay, are there any other local beaches that you'd recommend if GB isn't water friendly? I like Maho Beach, but DH isn't too interested in having planes fly overhead, and BIL just returned from serving in Afghanistan for a year, and the noise from the planes flying so close wouldn't be the best for him right now.

Don't worry about going to Orient Beach. Your 4-year old probably wouldn't even notice. Kids don't care as much about that as adults do. We're the ones who make it a big deal. If the kid notices, just explain (on the kid's level) that they do things differently here, and it's okay for them. The south side of Orient Beach is where the nudist resort is, so if you head left (north), you won't see much. Even if you do, it's not some wild Spring Break exhibitionism kind of thing; it's just people enjoying the freedom that they don't have in the U.S. There can be topless women anywhere and on any beach on that island. Again, the kids aren't offended or scarred by it, if they even notice. They may giggle because it's something different, and then quickly forget about it. Orient Beach is a beautiful beach!

Edited by k2excursion

Don't worry about going to Orient Beach. Your 4-year old probably wouldn't even notice. Kids don't care as much about that as adults do. We're the ones who make it a big deal. If the kid notices, just explain (on the kid's level) that they do things differently here, and it's okay for them. The south side of Orient Beach is where the nudist resort is,

I concur.... I took my son when he was 14 and he slept on the beach thru it. Most of the "nude" isn't even people you want to see nude :rolleyes: I did see one guy walk from one end of the non-nude to the nude - nude - not pretty. most were older women with thongs and no top - not pretty.

And most kids are more embarrassed by it and you won't see if you go left when entering. They tell you. You're not there that long.

I thought we were going back to SM when I booked the Dream again - and if Grand Turk doesn't stay open we might - I would recommend just Maho (you just need 15 min to get a cool photo) and French market in Margot.

Looking forward to cruising on the Dream on June 1st!

I have a few random questions for you Dream experts:

Is there a talent show on board for passengers? If so, do you know how it works? Do you have to sign up early? Do they only pick a certain number of people to participate? Do you think they would have a guitar that my 19 year old son could use for it?

We are going to celebrate my parents 50th wedding anniversary and would love to have them renew their vows. I know that there is not a chapel on board, but somebody earlier on this thread mentioned doing this in St. Thomas. Does anyone know where this can be done?

Do you know if they do Zumba on board?

Thanks for the info.

We did not see one when we sailed 2 weeks ago and there was no mention of it in the Fun Times that I saw.

I did read that the laser show is no more:confused:

We have been on the Dream two times, and both times we did get to enjoy the show. My DH is a big fan of Pink Floyd, and their music was part of the show. We thought it was cool. The Dream was the only CCL ship to have the laser show.

We will be sailing her again in about 23 days, even though no laser show, we Love this ship:D

By gone days, at the laser show on the Beautiful Dream:cool:

CCLDream10316_zps7549cccc.jpg

First timers just off Dream - 4/6-13/13:D:D:D

ATD worked perfectly...No waiting. Cheers program was well worth the money.

Food was awesome...St. Thomas and St. Maarten were fabulous.

FUN WEEK!!!

I posted an overview video of the week...

And a cabin tour...Perfect balcony location...7267

IMG_2365.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg

Will be traveling with 2 teenagers, one 17 and the other 2 months shy of 15- How flexible is Carnival on allowing 14 year old into the 15-17 year old program ? How was the 12-14 year old program ?

They say they aren't flexible but really it just depends. I would sign them up - they get a sticker on their card. My son says they sometimes don't even check. I think if your 17 doesn't mind his little brother hanging with him /or big sis mind little sis - you don't say if boys or girls...

My son will be on his 10th Carnival cruise this year at age 17 (first cruise at age 9 so we were late in starting) - only one time did we travel with a friend and it turned out they didn't even hang out in Circle C together because their interests were different. I think sometimes they just glance to see if there is a sticker - not which group it says.

There is a recent review titled Just off the Dream 4/16/13 Review that has copies of O2 and Circle C. There is overlap anyway between the two groups you will see with activities. I wouldn't worry about getting permission and just go with it - if the 14 feels the need to be in the other group - your 17 year old can always explain that this is his/her sibling and they felt uncomfortable that day in the other group.

Sometime easier to ask forgiveness. I only say that because a lot of their activities are together anyway. Your kids may meet some new friends - I know my teen sometimes plays XBox live with kids he meet on cruises.

Thanks for the input- 17 year old boy and 14 year old girl- Sometimes he might prefer her to be in another group and other times they get along well. Guess we'll see how things are going when we get there. When they were younger they enjoyed Camp Carnival, but hated it when got to the 9-11 year old group. Which is why I'm a little uncertain about the 12-14 group. Figure in the 15-17 they can just leave if they don't like it.

Thanks for the input- 17 year old boy and 14 year old girl- Sometimes he might prefer her to be in another group and other times they get along well. Guess we'll see how things are going when we get there. When they were younger they enjoyed Camp Carnival, but hated it when got to the 9-11 year old group. Which is why I'm a little uncertain about the 12-14 group. Figure in the 15-17 they can just leave if they don't like it.

I think it just depends on the number of kids - your kids mood - and even the mix of kids. If they can find an group of 4-8 kids they like - they then should have a good time. My son's recommendation is always go the first night.

First timers just off Dream - 4/6-13/13:D:D:D

ATD worked perfectly...No waiting. Cheers program was well worth the money.

Food was awesome...St. Thomas and St. Maarten were fabulous.

FUN WEEK!!!

I posted an overview video of the week...

And a cabin tour...Perfect balcony location...7267

IMG_2365.jpg

IMG_2341.jpg

Great videos. Thanks for sharing! :)

We are sailing the Dream on May 25. This is our 9th Carnival cruise, but the 1st time with our kids ages 12 and 10. I am going to allow the 10 yr old to go freely in and out of the club and apparently the 12 yr old will have freedom in his club too. The question is, how do I communicate with them when we are seperated? Bring walkie talkies? Texting with cells? Was hoping for some ideas. Thanks.

We are sailing the Dream on May 25. This is our 9th Carnival cruise, but the 1st time with our kids ages 12 and 10. I am going to allow the 10 yr old to go freely in and out of the club and apparently the 12 yr old will have freedom in his club too. The question is, how do I communicate with them when we are seperated? Bring walkie talkies? Texting with cells? Was hoping for some ideas. Thanks.

I don't have kids, but what I have herd some people do is bring walkie talkies. I guess you can text, but make sure you put your phones on international plan and put strict rules on the kids not to call or text their friends.. At least with the walkie talkies if they leave them some where, you don't have to worry as much about replacing them like a phone or worry about someone else putting unwanted charges on the phone. Or a simple plan is to have certain times you always meet up like for lunch and have your kids up date you on where they will be.

We have kids. 4 of them! Our first cruise they were 5/7/13/15. The youngest two were prisoners at camp carnival until we posted bail but the oldest two could come and go. This was a new experience for us because we dont let our kids run free! So we set up a few rules and if they broke the rules they got put on probation for a full 24hrs with the first offense, second offense they no longer had camp privileges and had to spend all their time either with us or stuck in the cabin. :eek: I know right! We are such mean parents!

We went over the activties for the next day at dinner every night and they told us where they would be when and yes, we often took strolls just to check on things! They each only broke rules one time each before they knew that life on ship was no different than at home. Rules are rules, you break them and you pay the fine!

Now kids are older, we still do the planning at dinner and if plans change they have to leave us a sticky note on our cabin vanity mirror if they cant locate us.....also, we had dinner as a family every night so they had to be back in room by 4:30pm daily. We also ate meals on Lido in the same general area, embarkation day we set the location up, so they (teens) could easily locate us for meal(breakfast,lunch) time if they were so inclined. We really dont have many issues with our teens. They know the rules, they each have attempted to test the boundaries (not angels) but crazy to say they do enjoy spending time with us so we saw them quite a bit for meals or they would find us lounging on lido or serenity! No, they did not stay with us on serenity deck, they just stopped by to check up on us to make sure we(parents)were behaving :p.

So, get duplicate copies of both camp carnival fun times and ships fun times, bring post it notes/pen and highlighters(diff. colors for each family member) and at dinner every evening go over the next days events, highlight what each will be doing, use post it notes in room on mirror if plans change and before you leave dinner know what each will be doing after dinner that night and set that nights curfew.

Also, big rule for us is that no one but our family comes into our cabins and they are never ever to go into any others cabin. They must remain on open decks or at camp......

I have heard that walky talkies dont always work and can be very annoying to others and cell phones for us are turned off once we leave embarkation port.

Is it mandatory to pre pay tips ?

Pre-paid tips are automatically added to your sign and sail card. If you don't want to pay, you can go to the customer service desk and have them removed or adjusted as you see fit.

Is it mandatory to pre pay tips ?

We don't pre pay our tips, but like the other poster said they are added to the sail and sign card. I think the first day. If you do have a problem with any of the service they can be removed. But I have never felt the need to do this. Our service has always been good to excellent on any other the cruises we have been on.