FV cabin questions (pricing, etc.)

BethV114

We're thinking of trying to book a family cruise next year on Silhouette around Thanksgiving. Pricing hasn't come out yet, but I did take a look at CF to get an idea of what prices have been for Silhouette's fall/winter 2011 sailings. However, that website does not list the prices for the FV cabins, so I was hoping that people who have had success in booking them can give me an idea of what type of pricing they had.

I would assume the pricing is somewhat in-line, though perhaps just a tad bit highter, than other balcony cabins, but would like to know for sure. I'd also like to know whether we are likely to have any luck securing an FV for a family of four (2 adults and 2 little ones (1 toddler/1 infant approx 1 year old)). I know a regular balcony cabin just won't work because we wouldn't be able to use the pull out couch and a pack-and-play at the same time. The only other option would be to go up to a sky suite, but I don't think we could afford that. Any thoughts/info/suggestions would be highly appreciated!:D

You must have 5 to book one of these cabins straight up. Closer to the sail date, if there are available cabins, they will offer them to those who have waitlisted for them. Twice we have been given FVs due to waitlisting. After the waitlist is clear, they will open them for general booking usually pretty close to final payment day, some times afterward.

What they actually do in this class of cabins with bedding for kids is take an egg crate mattress and put in on the sofa. Cushions are removed to make it a twin sized bed. There would be room for a pack and play.

My suggestion would be to book a standard balcony and waitlist for an FV. Pricing for the FV is more than most of the balcony cabins so be prepared.

Good Luck

If 'around Thanksgiving' means the week after, you may have luck securing one with a waitlist. These weeks tend to be a bit slow so we have found great pricing on both Solstice and Eclipse when we cruised the week after Thanksgiving.

If you are using a TA, as them to call Celebrity and see if they can snag the FV now. If Celebrity thinks they may have a hard time selling them out, they may open them up a little sooner, especially for a family of 4. Doesn't hurt to ask. Worst case you will be on the waitlist, and perhaps with a notation that there are four rather than two which may help

What they actually do in this class of cabins with bedding for kids is take an egg crate mattress and put in on the sofa. Cushions are removed to make it a twin sized bed. There would be room for a pack and play.

Just to say the OP is talking about Silhouette, so there's a second bedroom with a bed and and upper berth.

I've just booked an FV on Eclipse for May for three and the pricing was as you say a little more than a regular balcony, but for the space WAY less than what you would pay for an RS which is equivalent in size, but with all the suite goodies and lovely furnishing.

Phil

Just to say the OP is talking about Silhouette, so there's a second bedroom with a bed and and upper berth.

I've just booked an FV on Eclipse for May for three and the pricing was as you say a little more than a regular balcony, but for the space WAY less than what you would pay for an RS which is equivalent in size, but with all the suite goodies and lovely furnishing.

Phil

Hey Phil, How's it going.

I was actually talking about booking a regular cabin and not the FV. Just saying they can make room for the pack n play and the child in bed

I had FV 8108 on the Eclipse 4 weeks ago. We had three in the room but I initially booked it for two and added my son later. I got it about 4 months before the January 15th trip and it just popped up on line so I grabbed it.

The cabin was great. A small separate second bedroom with two twin beds. Large balcony, dining table and 4 chairs. If anyone has questions on the cabin feel free to ask.

Here are a few photos I took of my cabin.

25.jpg.f4236fe1254c15275f61917eaaaa7019.jpg

1.jpg.721ef4d2b5e335f72e389a09a5b740b3.jpg

7.jpg.2ea37c5d195193a41eacc728a16f86c4.jpg

2.jpg.6d6801e9f0f2d0bf952f0b5f686cc574.jpg

22.jpg.711aa1d9922f9cfda62a425e3c91c04c.jpg

Thank you everyone for your replies. Thanks, especially, FBlack for the photos. I guess I will work my TA and see what we can do. We don't have a specific sailing in mind, other than that it be Silhouette so we can sail without flying, so that may help our cause a bit. I guess our only other option would be a Sky Suite, but that might be just too darn pricey for us. We just did Allure of the Seas in December in a standard balcony with three (me, DH and DD in the pack-and-play). Although DD would be older and able to sleep on the couch, I just don't see how we could possibly fit a total of four. It was hard enough with just three!:eek:

Going out of NJ - you will have to be quick to get FV rooms. They are booked fast, expecially if you are on 11/18 sailing.

If X would not be able to sell them, they are ussually offered at C2 pricing.

Best, put yourself on waitlist, but I will suggest, at least to book another room for now.

Prices might go up.

Going out of NJ - you will have to be quick to get FV rooms. They are booked fast, expecially if you are on 11/18 sailing.

If X would not be able to sell them, they are ussually offered at C2 pricing.

Best, put yourself on waitlist, but I will suggest, at least to book another room for now.

Prices might go up.

We're actually thinking around Thanksgiving or early/mid-winter 2012/2013. I don't believe they've released the itineraries for those dates yet, so I'm trying to do a bit of research before they open for booking. I will definitely see about booking a cabin that we think we can afford/live with and waitlisting for the FV. I'm really hoping for the FV, though, because the next best option is a Sky Suite and it sounds like the FV, though hard to come by, is much more affordable.

Do you happen to know whether we have to waitlist for a specific FV or can waitlist for that category in general? The deck 8 FVs look like they have larger balconies, but we're not that picky and would be happy to have any of them!

Do you happen to know whether we have to waitlist for a specific FV or can waitlist for that category in general? The deck 8 FVs look like they have larger balconies, but we're not that picky and would be happy to have any of them!

You can do either, but picking a certain cabin or even deck reduces your chances.

I know you are looking at X, but RCCL ships also have the same type family cabins and have more per ship. Yes more family oriented but might have more kids. I did see the Explorer of the Seas already had family cabins open for Jan 2012 for general booking

You can do either, but picking a certain cabin or even deck reduces your chances.

I know you are looking at X, but RCCL ships also have the same type family cabins and have more per ship. Yes more family oriented but might have more kids. I did see the Explorer of the Seas already had family cabins open for Jan 2012 for general booking

We have done Explorer to Bermuda in a Family Suite. It was a nice experience. However, we really couldn't make much use of the pool due to the cool weather, and at least Silhouette has the indoor Solarium pool. I think we'll have to take a look at pricing, itinerary, etc. for both ships and see what will work best for the group, which would include other family members in their own cabins. It will also depend on if MIL is going to join us. She was part of our family cruise on Explorer, which we took the spring prior to FIL's sudden passing. I'm not sure whether we would be able to persuade her to go on the same ship again without him.

Does anyone happen to know whether Celebrity allows children to use the Solarium pool in the winter? I know that on Royal, the Solarium pools are typically adults only, but are opened up to families for a certain period of time during cold weather itineraries.

Sorry, I don't have a solid answer as X hasn't had a ship sailing from a cold weather port. My guess since they tend to attract and older clientele the will hold it as an adults only area for those couple days up and down the coast. I don't think they want to get into a "Hey my kids could use it 2 days ago argument"

If you want to know how other X passengers feel, there's a thread out there about a baby in the aqua class cabin. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1369979&highlight=

X passengers like their adults only areas.

Sorry, I don't have a solid answer as X hasn't had a ship sailing from a cold weather port. My guess since they tend to attract and older clientele the will hold it as an adults only area for those couple days up and down the coast. I don't think they want to get into a "Hey my kids could use it 2 days ago argument"

If you want to know how other X passengers feel, there's a thread out there about a baby in the aqua class cabin. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1369979&highlight=

X passengers like their adults only areas.

I totally understand wanting adults only areas and that's why I have typically enjoyed the Solarium pool (both X and Royal) so much in the past. However, even before I had my own little one, I did think it was fair for Royal to open the Solarium pool to children/families for specified time periods on cold weather itineraries. After all, children/teens are paying passengers and should be permitted to use appropriate facilities such as the pool.

I totally understand wanting adults only areas and that's why I have typically enjoyed the Solarium pool (both X and Royal) so much in the past. However, even before I had my own little one, I did think it was fair for Royal to open the Solarium pool to children/families for specified time periods on cold weather itineraries. After all, children/teens are paying passengers and should be permitted to use appropriate facilities such as the pool.
Unfortunately we won't have an answer on this until some time Oct or November.

Archived