Flip flops in MDR

carebear1008

Your own quote from carnival says "BEACH FLIP FLOPS" I am talking about flip flops not BEACH flip flops. thank you for proving my point.;)

I didn't know I was stating anything about flip-flops, beach or otherwise. I was stating that everyone was arguing about a dress CODE. ;);)

I have only taken one Carnival cruise so far, on Triumph. I'm not sure where people are even getting the impression that the MDR has some kind of strict dress code. Is there some printed material that my TA neglected to send me. It never crossed my mind that I might need to wear something different at the MDR.

That being said, I don't wear "jean cut offs" or "sleeveless T-shirts." My normal non-poolside wardrobe is acceptable at MDR. So I was never in violation of any implied policy. But regardless, what are people looking at that makes them so worried about the MDR?

Well, perhaps your TA figures you are old enough to book a cruise so you can surely take the time to scroll through Carnival's website checking out things like dress codes (which are clearly printed for all occasions onboard), tipping, alcohol policy, boarding times, tendering....and all sorts of "Know before you go" information.

I'm not sure about your point here...but I think its crazy to pay $400 for a pair of shoes, especially for flip flops...you can get shoes like that at Payless for under $10.

To each his own though!

I agree...to each his/her own.

I haven't spent 400.00 TOTAL for shoes in the past 10 years....!!!!

I just bought these today. I plan on wearing them in the MDR, with either sundresses or nice black pants. They are flip flops, but not beach or shower shoes. I think they are definitely appropriate for the MDR. As for people asking about wearing flip flops to a sit down restaurant on land, I do it all summer long. I pretty much don't wear anything else from april to october unless I am really getting dressed up (ie for a wedding).

05473208000?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

This is the description for these shoes:

Bring upscale charm to any occasion in these glamorous glitzy flip-flops.

* Dressy/casual fashion sandal

So they refer to them as flip flops, but also as dressy sandals.

• 4 months later...
Love those silver flip flops! I completely agree that there is a BIG difference between casual beachy type flip flops (that ate typically foam soles) vs a dressier casual style that women can wear. The $400 pair shown above look totally beach outdoor wear to me.

[quote name='carebear1008']Can I wear flip flops with my casual sun dresses in the MDR?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='laumicmah']Ohhhh boy....get ready!
I think you can wear the fancy ones, not the beachy/pool ones....but I am sorry to say that you are probably going to get some harsh responses.[/QUOTE]Truer words were never spoken.

What I do not understand is that if a person's employer says this is what the policy is people comply and do it.

However because Carnival or any other cruise-line says this is our policy people want to make their own rules under the guise of it's my vacation and I'll do what I want.

Hello .... Carnival or any other cruise-line for that matter does not have to be in business for us to enjoy a vacation. IT IS THEIR POLICY... COMPLY!

Just back from Fantsay and on first elegant night saw men in shorts and flip flops...shocked they let them for the night before it was announced in the dining room that their would be a dress code. The rest of our trip we dresed a lot more casual.

Missygirl

For we trendy Scots!

Beach = Flip Flops or Barefoot Naked
Lunch = Co-oridinated flip flops with designer cover up or appropriate wear
Pool = High wedge flip flops with matching bikini :p (and accessories)
Dinner = strappy sandals/shoes/heels (toes perfectly manicured)
"After dinner" = Stilletos ;)

BUT, each to their own...as long as you have nice toes.. I hate grotty feet on display at dinner :eek:

DO what you please.. its YOUR vacation :D

[quote name='msstarr22']My question is why would you want to? Do you wear[I] flipflops[/I] to a sit-down dining room restaurant? Sandals are nearly as inexpensive! :eek:[/QUOTE]
We live in flip flops in Florida. Not the beach kind but the dressier ones. shoot-when i go to colder parts of the country, I don't even own any closed toe shoes!:eek: I have many diferent kind of flip flops and wear them to nice restaurants as do many other woman.
pat

Sounds like everyone can pretty much do and wear whatever they'd like...

I kind of like the idea of keeping the MDR "special" by dressing a little better than I do when I head out to Buffalo Wild Wings and then stepping it up even a bit further for the "elegant" night (and the steakhouse). It appears Carnival's Dress Code would support that but I guess a lot of cruisers feel they don't need to follow that code.

I'm not going to worry about what anyone but my family wears to dinner but I will ask to be moved if we are seated with others that don't try to follow the dress code. That way everyone can do their own thing (commentary--is it just me or is "doing one's own thing" seemingly more important than "doing the right thing"???).

I might have been a MDR snob a few years back. I remember standing in line for any time dining and the people in front of us were dressed less than what we considered "cruise casual" or "resort casual". I put a lot of thought into my packing and dressing each night and just thought everyone else should too. My mom and I whispered to each other that we hoped they would fill up a table and we would not be seated with them. When they got to us and ask is we were willing to share we knew our wait would be longer if we said no. So "Yes".. We sat with this extended family. We had the best dinner that night. Conversation was easy and interesting. Within two minutes of sitting down I forgot about the shorts and sock and sneakers. We totally enjoy their company. I wish we had met them earlier in the cruise. I wear jeans and t-shirt and flip flops every day. I look forward to dressing up a bit while cruising. I LOVE shopping all year for just the right stuff. But that's what I LOVE about "MY" cruise experience. I've learned it makes NO difference what the person next to me is wearing. They are having their vacation and I am having mine.

My vacation includes "treasure hunting" and on day I purchased the following shoes for less than $25.. And living in Florida I don't have to fly. I pack 6/7 pairs of shoes for each cruise.

[IMG]http://www.river-mill-drive.com/shoes[/IMG]

You will be perfectly fine wearing your flip-flops. Go enjoy your vacation and don't worry about it.

And don't mind about the nay sayers here. Carnival knows that they can't afford to turn you away.

Seven cruises and I can tell you I do not remember what a single person at my table wore on their feet including my friends, it simply doesn't bother me what someone else wears on their cruise. The way I see it is if it violates Carnivals rules it is up to them to rectify it not me. I hope everyone has a great cruise regardless of what they have on their feet :)

I honestly don't see how some of the posters commenting here can have a nice, relaxing vacation, when they/you seem SO preoccuppied worrying about what the rest of us are wearing. Get over it, relax, chill, whatever! You do your thing and let the rest of us enjoy OUR da#n vacation!

[quote name='TakeMeAway1001']Seven cruises and I can tell you I do not remember what a single person at my table wore on their feet including my friends, it simply doesn't bother me what someone else wears on their cruise. The way I see it is if it violates Carnivals rules it is up to them to rectify it not me. I hope everyone has a great cruise regardless of what they have on their feet :)[/QUOTE

BRAVO! Well said!

[quote name='TakeMeAway1001']Seven cruises and I can tell you I do not remember what a single person at my table wore on their feet including my friends, it simply doesn't bother me what someone else wears on their cruise. The way I see it is if it violates Carnivals rules it is up to them to rectify it not me. I hope everyone has a great cruise regardless of what they have on their feet :)[/QUOTE]
Couldn't have said it better! How you can let what someone else wears affect your vacation is beyond me!
Pat

Archived