Roatan Malaria question for parents

cruiseram

I have a question for all you cruisers that have taken your children on a cruise that stops in Roatan, Honduras. I have seen on the CDC website that there is a risk of Malaria in Honduras, I did some research and found out the the mosquito that carries Malaria is only active between dusk and dawn so we will not be there in that time frame. I am planning on taking a repellent with DEET and using that for the mosquito's and other bugs. I have a call in to my child's Pediatrician and I am waiting for a call back. I was just wondering what other parents have done?

Unless you take a tour deep into the jungle, you'll be fine. But it can't hurt to take the repellant. Mosquitoes carry diseases no matter where you travel, even here in the US. Better to be careful.

agreed!

We didn't get any big bites when we were there!

I'm a huge mosquito magnet, if there's one around it's going to find me and bite me. Luckily my kids didn't inherit whatever it is about me that makes the bugs love me. I read the same thing when I was researching our Legend cruise a couple of years ago. We took a repellent with DEET in it. We spent most of the day on the island and I didn't get one bite. Like the other posters have said, I think the malaria threat is more for the jungle areas of the country.

Well, I won't try and present an official company position on the subject, but I am a scientist. I work for CDC. We will be cruising next month to Honduras. I am taking my DD. Neither of us will be vaccinated for malaria but I will use DEET bug spray as a precaution before we disembark.

Happy sailings

I do admit it has been many years since I went to an area at risk for malaria, but we always had to take pills. When did the vaccine come out?

Personally we're also going to Roatan (Jan/12) and I'm bringing our bug jackets and pants that we use camping. I prefer them to chemicals like DEET, but that's just me.

(ETA There's no vaccine available in Canda. Here's the link: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/media/advisories_avis/mal_faq-eng.php)

Well, I won't try and present an official company position on the subject, but I am a scientist. I work for CDC. We will be cruising next month to Honduras. I am taking my DD. Neither of us will be vaccinated for malaria but I will use DEET bug spray as a precaution before we disembark.

Happy sailings

I do admit it has been many years since I went to an area at risk for malaria' date=' but we always had to take pills. When did the vaccine come out?

Personally we're also going to Roatan (Jan/12) and I'm bringing our bug jackets and pants that we use camping. I prefer them to chemicals like DEET, but that's just me.

(ETA There's no vaccine available in Canda. Here's the link: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/media/advisories_avis/mal_faq-eng.php)[/quote']

Sorry, I've been reading journals too much. I don't think it is even available in most areas yet. The pills are probably all that is available to you. If you are interested you can follow its progress though. The trials look promising...

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/features/vaccines.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100203201425.htm

Before we went to Roatan I researched different types of bug sprays and the levels of DEET. We horseback rode and wore pants, so we were able to spray our clothes and shoes as well. I chose a deep woods, outdoor spray and we got along well. Typically, I opt out for less harsh bug sprays, but I didn't want to take a chance. We went to the beach later in the day and just lightly applied to the newly exposed areas. :) Roatan was one of our most favorite ports!

Agree with others bring bug spray and just alert your pediatrician so that if your child develops symptoms he/she knows what to look for. Since malaria is not a threat here he/she may just think the fever or vomiting/diarrhea is a cold or flu

If you choose to use a combination product with both DEET and a sunscreen, take some plain sunscreen too. You should apply sunscreen every few hours, more frequently if you get wet, but DEET shouldn't be applied that often.

Archived