I dont get why people....

chach123

[quote name='Nanaimobound']I totally agree with the poster here! Especially when referring to a mass market cruising product.
I think it may go back to cruising in the past perhaps.
You know before cruising became mainstream so to speak, it only accounted for about 5% of the traveling public. It was attainable to mostly the wealthier set of people, and held to a romanticized more formal maritime history.
I think people who have cruised during those times have wonderful memories of the old traditional style of cruising, and they miss that formality and beauty that they experienced.
We took our first cruise in 1999 and it has even changed tremendously since then. Change is generally hard for most people I think, and I really think that is all it is. That's why having the different cruising products are important. If you cruise the luxury cruise ships, you can still find a closer experience to those old elegant cruises. Mass market products are not designed to cater to that crowd, and shouldn't be held to that standard. I enjoyed the laid back informal attitude on Carnival, yes you give up a little classiness that some other lines provide, but they are still there to enjoy! On a carnival cruise you can let your hair down and party, you don't have to feel self conscious if your kids are a little loud in the dining room. It's just fun times! :)[/quote]

I like the way you put it.:)

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz']The biggest difference of all is the price. :p

There are, in fact, a number of dives across America that serve some of the best food. So keep chuckin' those peanut shells.

[IMG]http://www.zydecocruiser.com/homer2008/sat/IMG_2815.jpg[/IMG]

the chef was a little camera shy...

[IMG]http://www.zydecocruiser.com/homer2008/sat/IMG_2811.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

That was not nice . I almost broke my nose diving into my screen trying to get a bite of that . *LOL*

You are so right , we have a little joint not far from here that serves up meals like that .

I have been to Ruth's Chris, and Morton's , and Spark's and Peter Lugar's and this places food is right up there at a fraction of the price.
Is it the place to impress business clients or take your wife on your anniversary NO

But for a fantastic meal , you can't beat them

[quote name='Sargent_Schultz'][COLOR=red][B]The biggest difference of all is the price. :p[/B][/COLOR]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=red][B]There are, in fact, a number of dives across America that serve some of the best food. So keep chuckin' those peanut shells.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[IMG]http://www.zydecocruiser.com/homer2008/sat/IMG_2815.jpg[/IMG]

[/quote]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=red]So very true....[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR=red][B]and that meat looks [I][U]GOOD[/U]!![/I][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

I know many people disagree with me on this, but to me, when people dress decently in the MDR, it makes the whole atmosphere so much classier and more elegant. I eat in the MDR to have a reasonably fancy dinner, and it kind of ruins it when a family strolls in with shorts and flip-flops. Just my opinion...[/quote]

Have you not considered one of the cruise lines that are more formal and strict

with their dress codes?:confused:

Yes, I have. I still enjoy the Carnival atmospher overall, but when they call dinner "Cruise Elegant", I expect normal people to be able to comprehend that and plan accordingly. Even Carnival has the potential to be classier...:cool:

Even when Carnival clearly explains what to wear if you go to the dining room, why do selfish brats still think it's okay to break the rules-yes, I said rules-and stroll in with beachwear? It comes of as obnoxious to me. No, it won't ruin my vacation, but seriously, have some class.

The biggest difference of all is the price. :p

There are, in fact, a number of dives across America that serve some of the best food. So keep chuckin' those peanut shells.

the chef was a little camera shy...

Both the lobster and the rib require a bib. There is no way to dress a bib up or down.

btw: You made me hungry!

I just watched a thing about the dress for the Royal wedding. And they will be wearing hats indoors *gasp. Darn those british people wearing hats indoors, don't they know it disrupts the entire event? :D

What do all the fancy dress people think of that? ;)

I just watched a thing about the dress for the Royal wedding. And they will be wearing hats indoors *gasp. Darn those british people wearing hats indoors, don't they know it disrupts the entire event? :D

On the other hand, that's a good point as well.

Gosh darn it, this thread is really turning into a night of entertainment for me!!:rolleyes:;):D

I would guess they would be following the status quo. You just made those "fancy dress" people's point.

I HATE it when that happens...

I would guess they would be following the status quo. You just made those "fancy dress" people's point.

I HATE it when that happens...

Wasn't trying to prove a point one way or the other. Was just being funny, I saw it and it made me think of these kinds of discussions.

Trying to change anyones mind in these types of threads is like sitting in a rocking chair, I'm moving but I'm not getting anywhere.

Wasn't trying to prove a point one way or the other. Was just being funny, I saw it and it made me think of these kinds of discussions.

Trying to change anyones mind in these types of threads is like sitting in a rocking chair, I'm moving but I'm not getting anywhere.

That's "CruiseCritic" in a nutshell.

So very true....

and that meat looks GOOD!!

It was! ;)

and that is the smallest size steak that they serve. As for drinks, they sell you a bottle and mixers at normal prices and you make your own damn drinks! As strong as you like and at very reasonable prices. No auto-tips, either!

The bar:

IMG_2812.jpg

Their dessert menu may fall a little short of Ruth's Chris, but who had room?:

IMG_2817.jpg

That's "CruiseCritic" in a nutshell.

Yup. Pretty much any thread that starts:

I don't understand why .....

Why do people.....

How do I smuggle...

They start out ok but get pretty entertaining 3-4 pages in. :D

i don`t watch trash tv, but do tell. what type of ballcaps will the royals be wearing?

i don`t watch trash tv, but do tell. what type of ballcaps will the royals be wearing?

It was actually ABC news, thanks for asking. Please read my above post before getting snarky. I was just kidding which I thought was implied by the ;), but apparently not.

If one is taking a vacation at a place that has a dress code, then one should follow the dress code. If one doesn't want to follow a dress code, then one should choose their vacation accordingly. It's not rocket science.

I actually enjoy people "wearing what they want"

It makes people watching on the cruise much more enjoyable.:D

On our cruise there was this one woman, probably in her mid 40's, that we saw all over the place wearing the bath robes from her room. It was like playing punch buggy....there she is again :D

IMHO it's more of a respect thing. Or lack thereof.

There are those here who remember formal dinners and participant's pride in attending. It was an event. Now it's more like going to McDonalds...

YMMV

I totally agree. There is a time and place, and I think many people have forgotten that. Not everything is appropriate all the time. I wish people would remember that.

Archived