Cruiser Insurance w/ British travel agents...

StarFlyr

My previous Cunard cruise was booked in the US and nothing was said about travel insurance after I told the agent I didn't want it.

Today I was attempting to book another Cunard cruise with a UK travel agency based in (surprise, Britain). After jumping through all the "hoops", before closing the deal, I was informed that Cunard REQUIRES travel insurance for tickets sold in the UK.

At first, I though I was being held up (similar to the car dealers who try to sell undercoating after the price has been agreed to), but the agent said they don't sell the insurance, but I will have to have a policy before boarding the ship.

Any UK people know if this is actually a requirement? :confused: A quick reply would be appreciated as I will be talking with the agent again tomorrow.

Any UK people know if this is actually a requirement? :confused: A quick reply would be appreciated as I will be talking with the agent again tomorrow.

Yes - there is a requirement that is in the passage contract - it is covered in the booking conditions. You are right that Cunard do not insist that you buy their policy.

WD

In your Voyage personaliser you are required to fill in the following information:

The name of the Travel Insurance Company.

24hr Medical Assistance Company.

24hr Medical Helpline Number.

Seems strange that it is NOT required for US booking, but when in Rome, do as the Romans do. I think my wife got a quote somewhere that was around $300 for both of us. No biggie EXCEPT it wipes out most of my $400 OBC.:mad:

It's odd that it's not required when booking outside the UK though-another example of rip off Britain maybe???

Is it's because most Americans have private medical cover of some sort anyway which would cover for medical bills/repatriation etc while most Brits dont.

I'm not saying it is just wondering I get family travel insurance cover through my bank so dont really know alot about it.

$300 does seem alot of money though you should shop around abit can you buy it through a UK provider like the Post Office or would they not cover you because you dont live in the UK?

It's odd that it's not required when booking outside the UK though-another example of rip off Britain maybe???It really is becoming time to leave this country....

Shouldn't you be on the Daily Mail website?

As I said, Cunard do not require that you buy their insurance. I really cannot understand how there can be any rational argument that Cunard are ripping people off with insurance.

US insurance is more expensive, but covers more. It covers, for example, previous conditions. These are simply two very different systems, for two very different countries.

Anyway, travel insurance shouldn't be an option anyway. Doesn't everyone have some?

WD

I booked a back to back TA last year (OCT/NOV) with a US agent, Cruise-n-More and I WAS required to have insurance. I could not complete my Voyage Personaliser without it. This was perhaps because I am a UK citizen. I don't know what the fuss is about anyway. Having insurance is good! I have just paid £69 for my wife and myself to cover our 32 night voyage on QM2 later this month. remember it is not just mediacl insurance.

Last year I logged into my voyage personaliser and saw that my insurance details were incomplete and realized that I am normally on the Cunard.com website and was on the Cunard UK website. I called Cunard and was told that somehow I had been bumped onto that website and North Americans didn't have to give the insurance details and just to ignore that.

We use Bank Credit card for the cost of the voyage, and are covered with Europassist for medical, cancellation, and loss.

I can understand "requirement" for insurance by Cunard, since for a seriosly ill passenger they could incur massive costs - and have no redress except via legal action.

D

Last year I logged...on the Cunard UK website. I called Cunard and was told that somehow I had been bumped onto that website and North Americans didn't have to give the insurance details and just to ignore that.

Were you on a UK booked cruise rather than through a US travel agent?

Shouldn't you be on the Daily Mail website?

As I said, Cunard do not require that you buy their insurance. I really cannot understand how there can be any rational argument that Cunard are ripping people off with insurance.

US insurance is more expensive, but covers more. It covers, for example, previous conditions. These are simply two very different systems, for two very different countries.

Anyway, travel insurance shouldn't be an option anyway. Doesn't everyone have some?

WD

I'd rather not read the Daily Hate Mail thanks ! I just feel we are being ripped off in the UK,and I of course realise you don't have to take Cunards insurance-I organise my own, I just misunderstood the poster saying he didn't need any......but I do feel it's time to leave. Fuel prices are sky high, the tax on airline tickets is disgraceful...we just travelled to Washington on "free" tickets that cost over £300 in taxes...why would anyone choose to fly BA when the Govt charge £250 for a family of 4 to the US??? It makes more sense to go KLM or Air France..it's crippling the industry. The headling in todays Times says the govt are powerless to stop immigrants claiming housing benefit, job seekers allowance etc...and as for us giving 16m of aid to India-FFS , they have a space programme!!!! Anyway,off my soap box now, it's off thread.....sorry for the rant...

Were you on a UK booked cruise rather than through a US travel agent?

It was during the time period when Cunard had debuted the new website and some areas including parts of Canada were having difficulties logging onto the Cunard website. A couple of times I called friends in the US to look some things up for me.

I am Canadian, but the trip was booked by a US travel agent friend. We had priced out Cunard Care and I eventually bought insurance from another company which was half the rate Cunard quoted. And I ended up cancelling this trip due to illness and very definitely needed that cancellation insurance.

Linda

I'd rather not read the Daily Hate Mail thanks ! I just feel we are being ripped off in the UK,and I of course realise you don't have to take Cunards insurance-I organise my own, I just misunderstood the poster saying he didn't need any......but I do feel it's time to leave. Fuel prices are sky high, the tax on airline tickets is disgraceful...we just travelled to Washington on "free" tickets that cost over £300 in taxes...why would anyone choose to fly BA when the Govt charge £250 for a family of 4 to the US??? It makes more sense to go KLM or Air France..it's crippling the industry.

I started this thread with a simple question about why health insurance was needed since I just got off a Cunard voyage (booked in the US) where the insurance was not required.

This morning I ran into the BA buzz saw. I was on an American Express site that promised a round trip from the US to London for $522 through April 14th. Not a bad deal for someone who wants to go now and return by April 14th. The listing said the dates could be changed for an additional $285, subject to availability.

First, I had to buy the basic ticket. Since I selected a return date of July 1st with a departure in the "tight" window, the ticket went to $800. Still, not a bad deal although I would have to leave on April 7th and then return on July 1st. Totally worthless to me. Next, I click on "change" meaning to invoke the change fee of $275. What then pops up is a ticket for $2000! which I could have bought anywhere on line for around $1700 and with one stop, $1400.

Well, I bail out of that and call BA only to get a severe runaround saying I didn't read the fine print. Which said...

"Changes to itineraries booked in World Traveller (economy) are permitted, prior to the ticketed departure time of each flight for a fee of $275 per ticket, subject to availability." Well, the new ticket was available, but for $2000, and not for $275.

BA refused to cancel the whole deal. The only option they gave me was a refund of the Government fees. While that total is unclear, it appears to be certainly more than the original $332 that was the come-on price. Oh, and I failed to mention my loss was times 2 as I was trying to get 2 tickets. So, I think my morning cost me somewhere around $1000 to get out of bed.

I will NEVER fly BA again.

I started this thread with a simple question about why health insurance was needed since I just got off a Cunard voyage (booked in the US) where the insurance was not required.

This morning I ran into the BA buzz saw. I was on an American Express site that promised a round trip from the US to London for $522 through April 14th. Not a bad deal for someone who wants to go now and return by April 14th. The listing said the dates could be changed for an additional $285, subject to availability.

First, I had to buy the basic ticket. Since I selected a return date of July 1st with a departure in the "tight" window, the ticket went to $800. Still, not a bad deal although I would have to leave on April 7th and then return on July 1st. Totally worthless to me. Next, I click on "change" meaning to invoke the change fee of $275. What then pops up is a ticket for $2000! which I could have bought anywhere on line for around $1700 and with one stop, $1400.

Well, I bail out of that and call BA only to get a severe runaround saying I didn't read the fine print. Which said...

"Changes to itineraries booked in World Traveller (economy) are permitted, prior to the ticketed departure time of each flight for a fee of $275 per ticket, subject to availability." Well, the new ticket was available, but for $2000, and not for $275.

BA refused to cancel the whole deal. The only option they gave me was a refund of the Government fees. While that total is unclear, it appears to be certainly more than the original $332 that was the come-on price. Oh, and I failed to mention my loss was times 2 as I was trying to get 2 tickets. So, I think my morning cost me somewhere around $1000 to get out of bed.

I will NEVER fly BA again.

I don't understand. It may well be me.

You booked a ticket this morning, and then immediately tried to change the dates? Is that right?

If so, why not book the right dates first time?

If I'm being dense, then I apologise.

WD

I think that charging an admin fee ($275) is quite common on airlines. If the period of travel that has been booked is off peak or shoulder and the new dates are not, there is obviously going to be a disparity between the two fares. This is always charged in addition to the admin fee. I am not defending BA but I do think that the error is yours and to expect there to be no pricing differential is quite naive.

I pay Lloyds Bank £12 a month for my bank account and this gives me Worldwide annual travel cover (as well as card cover, mobile 'phone insurance and AA membership.) Other banks do this but this one is up to 80 (not 70) years old. It also covers many medical conditions that can cause problems with other insurers.

> I consider that "bait and switch" advertising.

I am not a solicitor would but I would be a bit careful saying that. If BA think you have accused them of a criminal offence. I may be missing the point but I thought you wanted to switch. In Bait and Switch I thought the supplier persuades you to switch.

The low fare quote was for a trip booked today for travel up until April 15th (out and back.) In order to get the fare, it was necessary to book a fictitious travel sequence. The small print promised that the fare could be changed after booking by paying a $275 additional charge. What they didn't tell me was that I would ALSO have to pay whatever the new ticket costs plus $275.

If you booked through the BA.com USA website, the following is clearly quoted between the flight details and the terms and conditions, below which you have to click to make the booking:

Changes

Time/date changes permitted at any time before each flight departure for a change fee of $ 275 or an upgrade fee of $ 275 plus any difference in fare. Changes subject to availability. Fees apply per ticket

If you want to cancel your flight

There are no refunds except for any government & airport taxes.

The underlining is mine, the bold print is from BA.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I presume that this is from where you obtained the $275-00 figure, as the Amex site only refers to "maybe more than $200-00".

If so, it seems that the fault is with yourself for thinking you had found a loophole, when in fact none existed. All cheap flights I have ever had, always had similar clauses and I would not expect otherwise. If I did find otherwise, I would check and re-check everything to make certain that I was not making a mistake!

Phileas

If you booked through the BA.com USA website, the following is clearly quoted between the flight details and the terms and conditions, below which you have to click to make the booking...

Correct me if I am wrong, but I presume that this is from where you obtained the $275-00 figure, as the Amex site only refers to "maybe more than $200-00".

First, I want to state that I made a mistake and I just want to let it go now. The whole problem was that I went from one set of rules on the Amex site to another set of rules on the BA site. I now realize that BA is just enforcing the rules that they have on their website and I have absolutely no problem with it. I just didn't pay attention to them as I thought I was working with the rules that were on the Amex site. My mistake and regret even mentioning this matter on the Cunard site. BA is trying to help me get a satisfactory solution and even if they don't, I have nothing against the company.

However, the Amex stated in very clear language that the fee to change the flight reservation was $275 PERIOD. No statement that said $275 plus the DIFFERENCE in the fare on a different day. No other qualifier except after the $275 figure, it did say if available. And yes, the flight that I wanted to change to was available in economy, but for around $600 extra instead of $275. Couldn't have been clearer.

The end result was that it made a $500 ticket into a $2100 ticket. I would have gone for the deal @ $1700, but $2100 was deal breaker. I can buy this ticket today for $1700 on Kayak. Clearly, I was messing around with something I shouldn't have tried.

And yes, the BA site did mention $275 plus the difference in fare, but I thought I was bound by the Amex language. I've learned my lesson and it won't happen again. I especially sorry that I posted it here since I don't think it belongs on this site and I've moved on.

I might add that none of this would have happened if I had call BA and spoken with an agent instead of trying to book the deal myself on their website. Confusion ruled the day. And yes, I will fly BA anytime they go where I want and the fare is reasonable.

Archived