which excursion - Catalina Island or Bayahibe

Joie

Leaving on the Miracle in 4 weeks and really haven't decided on which excursion for LaRomana Dom-Rep. port. I ahve seen a few mentions of Bayahibe ( most did not like it ) but very little on the Catalina Island excursion......anyone done these and can give info?

I booked through the ship. We did contact one private company. They said they didn't have enough time to go there on our cruise. :confused:

Yeah I heard that checking on several tours for my group.

I found a few that told me its a 30 minute taxi ride to about anywhere from the pier. So that means you have to plan an hour + just in travel time. I got a tour company to customize a tour time frame for Saona. I am sure with a group, it is easier to do than with a couple of persons. Each tour company has own section of beach over on the island. I have heard great things about the island, food and beach so it should be wonderful. Supposed to be nicer than Catalina Island

It must be hit or miss, a feew of the reviews said they did NOT like the Bayahibe beach tour, that Dreams was the place to go to. But I would rather stay with a ships excursion in a port we have never been to.

Wish more people that have gone would post some comments, I am sure both beaches are pretty, but I wanted to know more about what is included in the excursions and did they have food, water toys, etc.

• 6 years later...
Yeah I heard that checking on several tours for my group.

I found a few that told me its a 30 minute taxi ride to about anywhere from the pier. So that means you have to plan an hour + just in travel time. I got a tour company to customize a tour time frame for Saona. I am sure with a group, it is easier to do than with a couple of persons. Each tour company has own section of beach over on the island. I have heard great things about the island, food and beach so it should be wonderful. Supposed to be nicer than Catalina Island

Which tour company customized a tour for you? We are a group of 6 and would like more time on Saona island than what the Cruise special offers through Seavis Tours. Did you go through Seavis or Pro Excursions?

I did the Saona Island tour (Saona Carnival Special) through Seavis tours and would recommend it.

That is the tour we were settled on and I have just emailed them for availability, but I am second guessing it from their online time schedule. It looks like you are only on the island for 45 minutes?

Which tour company customized a tour for you? We are a group of 6 and would like more time on Saona island than what the Cruise special offers through Seavis Tours. Did you go through Seavis or Pro Excursions?

We did this tour way back in 2006 I believe it was and used Seavis. I set it up online with the owner. At that time it was husband wife team and they were VERY good with communication and providing me proof of insurance along with anything else I asked for. They even helped set up with our taxi van drivers that took us there, a return time to be back to retrieve us. That was my biggest concern and it all worked out really well.

We really enjoyed our time at Saona and it included lunch and drinks. I do have to say we also stayed longer at the starfish sandbar and LOVED the island we went to last which is where parts of the movie Pirates of Caribbean was filmed. Beautiful water and sand with palm trees and not crowded at all.

Hope this helps and have a great time.

That is the tour we were settled on and I have just emailed them for availability, but I am second guessing it from their online time schedule. It looks like you are only on the island for 45 minutes?

I can't remember exactly how long we were on the island for, but it was definitely longer than 45 minutes. We had plenty of time to relax, snorkel and eat.