When to book for August

I'm researching a Caribbean cruise for August for a friend. It would be one adult, a 12- and a 15-year old. Prices seem pretty high right now and I told him it would be better to wait a while. Anyone have any general advice on when is a good time to book for August? Wait until June? Thanks!

I booked my August Alaska cruise last October. Waiting until June could give you a better price for those cruises that haven't sold out yet. They sometimes lower the price after the final payments are made. But it's a gamble since you certainly won't have your pick of staterooms, or perhaps even cruises.

We generally book about a year in advance and haven't seen the prices drop below what we've paid. We're not at all flexible on dates though. If you're flexible you may be able to do ok waiting.

It looks to me like prices are at their lowest way in advance (1 year +/-), then they go up. If the cruise is booking up they seem to continue to go up. If they need to sell some cabins they drop back down some, but not below what they were well in advance.

Any TA's out there that can confirm or correct that theory?

Archived