UK Blog Post: No kids please, we’re British

LauraS

• Administrators

Britain is*a famously un-family-friendly nation, a point that’s just been illustrated in a survey by Holiday Extras, a company that which offers services like airport parking, travel insurance and hotels. Holiday Extras polled nearly 5,000 of its customers about what they hated about flying and discovered that a massive 83% of people would like to [...]

More...

I do prefer travelling without kids. Unfortunately I have experienced times when kids have been unruly and parents have ignored their kids. I don't see why I pay hundreds/thousands for a cruise only for kids to turn it into a nightmare. The comment is a bit unfair as not all kids are like that. It is just that the one bad one paints a bad picture for all.

Rugrats are fine....just so long as the parents have taught them manners, respect & how to behave.

But...sometimes when you are flying overnight or on a cruise and the little darlings are misbehaving, well it can be extremely trying.

On a fly/cruise in 2005 there were several of them on the overnight flight to Santiago de Chile, running around the cabin of the plane that went on for several hours til one of the toilet doors was ripped off its hinges. Only then did the crew and parents actually do anything. The cruise was over Christmas/New Year and so there were loads of rugrats, mainly extended families from Brazil & Venezuela. The parents drank into the wee small hours and the rugrats ran wild all day...much to the chagrin of the ship's crew (especially the security who invariably had to round the rugrats up, take them to the parents cabin and be greeted with a mouthful from the hungover mother or father...I heard them several times telling the security in no uncertain terms that they wanted to sleep and the kids could do as they please).

Adults only sections of planes....I would go with that on overnight longhauls, definitely. Adult only ships, well they seem popular and frankly I can see the advantages of doing so, so if the fare was right and the itinerary suited me...yep....I would do that too.

I am not against rugrats but I absolutely hate those parents who refuse to instill basic manners & good behaviour, there is no need for it.

JMO :o

I quite like having kids around....well, I taught them for 40 years, and still find them amusing and entertaining...

BUT!....as said already.....there's always the one...or the whole family...

One thing I've noticed on family ships is....the loos near the swimming pool. Do NOT use....little ones, still in their cozzies, are in and out, not flushing, certainly not washing hands and dropping loo paper etc.- go back to your cabin rather than use those loos!

Jo.

It's a pity in many cases that the kids are getting the blame for what is really their parents fault.

I agree, we have been wanting to cruise for a few years now and now our son is 10 we feel it is the right time to go. He has good manner's which is more than can be said for most of the over 65 year old Range Rover and Mercedes drivers in southern Staffordshire have.

My parents told me to hold doors open and make way for my elder's I don't know why I bother because not one of them can utter the word's thank you.

The problem is most kids don't seem to be behaved. I mean there is always an exception to the rule - but that is what it is, an exception. I don't spend thousands of dollars to fly/cruise/tour to have a rugrat running around screaming, distracting - and have the parent do nothing about it! It is extremely frustrating. If they didn't want their kids with them, they should have dumped them on a relative and not have punished everyone else's trip. Yes, this has happened to me and I am bitter. I don't have kids for a reason, and don't appreciate when others' kids can't seem to behave!

Have to say that most kids we have encountered on our cruises have been well behaved unlike some older people who seem to think that the Lift/Elevator will leave without them and try to get in before you have had chance to get out! but of course not all are like that.... :)

Archived