Are there any who will *only* cruise the R Class Ships?

Toranut97

I am not trying to start any wars!!!

Just an observation. On our South America cruise on Insignia, and on the Black Sea last summer, we had quite a few discussions with folks who were first - time O cruisers... and some repeat folks ... who basically said that, even though Marina looks fabulous, their choice would be to stick to the "R" ships.

(I must add that one of these is my own DH. He will not even hear discussion of cruising on Marina, says it is just "too big" and he dislikes big ships. The biggest ship we ever cruised was the Holland America Rotterdam, way back when.)

Reading all the reviews of Marina, I sense that it still has some of the intimate feeling of the R ships, and those who cruised it so far obviously love it (mostly) -- but are there others here who feel that Marina is pretty much not an option for them (reasons other than expense)?

Interestingly, most of the first time cruisers were saying "I would never go back to something larger!"

So I am JUST CURIOUS! NOT CRITICAL OF MARINA! (whew)

We love O and have cruised many times and have 2 more booked. That being said, the destination ports are what determines our choice, not the ship. We look forward to sailing on the larger (which still aren't too large in comparison to other lines) ships if the itinerary is what we are looking for. In January we cruised on Celebrity's Equinox (3000 psgrs) and it wasn't as bad as I expected. We never felt crowded or had to deal with lines, but it just doesn't have the feeling of intimacy of the smaller ships. We did it because we wanted a couple of weeks of warmth, a few different ports than we had been to, and it was a "bargain price" for a spur-of-the-moment cruise. Can't wait to get back on the Regatta in April.

I don't want to start any wars either, but having been the "designated small ship defender" when we sailed with Home Lines and later Holland America, I'm here to tell you that the folks who claim that they will NEVER SAIL THE BIGGER SHIPS all fold like cheap cameras within a few months.

They want to believe that they value the intimacy of the small ships over the improved comfort of the larger ships, but the truth of the matter is that more luxurious accommodations trump everything eventually.

These struggles always start with grand declarations of loyalty to the existing fleet, and always end in an ignominious rush toward the bells and whistles of the new tonnage. :cool:

I've learned to embrace the charms of the larger ships because they are the way of the future. As FDR once said to me, "Nobody ever goes smaller".

I don't want to start any wars either, but having been the "designated small ship defender" when we sailed with Home Lines and later Holland America, I'm here to tell you that the folks who claim that they will NEVER SAIL THE BIGGER SHIPS all fold like cheap cameras within a few months.

They want to believe that they value the intimacy of the small ships over the improved comfort of the larger ships, but the truth of the matter is that more luxurious accommodations trump everything eventually.

These struggles always start with grand declarations of loyalty to the existing fleet, and always end in an ignominious rush toward the bells and whistles of the new tonnage. :cool:

I've learned to embrace the charms of the larger ships because they are the way of the future. As FDR once said to me, "Nobody ever goes smaller".

Regarding FDR's statement, We've got a good friend, who we met on a Seabourn sailing. She tried the first bigger, newer ship and proclaimed that she would never sail it, or the sister ship, again. Too impersonal. She now is back sailing the older, three ships. And sailing she does.

I would imagine that there will be O cruisers who will feel and act the same way.

It seems self evident to me that there are going to be people who will continue to prefer the older "R" ships to Marina, just as there will be people who decide they prefer the two larger new ships.

I don't know what category I'll be in until I manage to sail on Marina or Riviera. I suspect I will continue to be driven by the itinerary, and not be bothered which ship is doing it. I highly doubt that I'll refuse to sail on either type ship just "because". But that's me.

The new ships may be larger but they sure aren't LARGE as compared to many other ships now sailing. In recent years we've been on the QE2 which carried 1750 passengers, and the NCL Gem which carried around 2300. The Gem was far more inefficient than the QE2 in terms of disgorging passengers! We've never been on one of the new behemoths and we don't intend to. Ever. But Marina and Riviera are far from huge.

Hmmm... I could be someone who ultimately prefers the smaller ships, as that is a big part of what appeals to me about Oceania. On the other hand, having the food, service, and itineraries on a more luxurious ship may end up winning out.

Mainly, I'm looking forward to figuring this all out. I'm often an indecisive person, so who knows how many times I'll have to experience each ship just to be sure. :)

It seems to me that the big ships will just be too big for us. Love the R class. Saying that we will try the new ships just to make sure we are right. Too bad O did not build something a little smaller, like the size of the Regent ships. 700 people or so. That probable would have been good for everyone. Still love everything about O and will find what is right for us. :)

Having sailed both Nautica (R ship) and Marina, my initial thoughts were that I would prefer the smaller ships. But Marina has been carefully crafted to ensure lots of those little "private" nooks when people want to be left alone to their thoughts.

We did experience an inability to find a place to sit at high tea once (we arrived 30 minutes late), and once in Terrace Cafe (again, we were dawdling) on Marina, but I had the same experience on Nautica.

The additions available to passengers on Marina (two additional specialty restaurants, Baristas, culinary center, art loft, larger theatre, etc.) are more than enough to "make up" for the larger size issues. So we will sail both, looking at their itinerary rather than their size.

And the advantage of the big ship - you get to meet more wonderful O cruisers!

Cheers!:D Kay

...I don't know what category I'll be in until I manage to sail on Marina or Riviera...

...we will try the new ships just to make sure...

Thos are probably among the most tho0ughtful remarks I have heard about the size difference.

Remember, we're not talking about the difference between the original Seabourn ships (at 208 passengers) and Allure of the Seas. Marina just doesn't feel any larger, and the passenger count is only 84% larger, not double, let alone over 5,000 bodies.

There are more intimate spaces. The patio, the sanctuary, the tables outside La Reserve, all go largely unused. Even though there are more passengers, there are an even greater number of sun loungers, more outside tables at the Terrace Cafe, more space on the sundecks, more shade under the sun decks, and overall a more comfortable ambiance. It's larger, but it's usefully larger, if that makes any sense.

It's just approximately 30% longer, most of which is forward of the forward elevators of aft of the aft elevators, so the walking distance doesn't seem much further. Most of the increase in size is absorbed by more decks, which don't seem to increase the size that is apparent.

Bottom line, I don't think most people will notice the difference in any appreciable manner.

My husband and I only cruise on Oceania, and of course, only have been on the Insignia, Regatta and Nautica for 18 cruises. This past January we boarded the Marina for the Maiden and the Innaugural. I was a bit apprehensive of the size, (because I walk with a cane) but I must say that the longer I cruised on Marina the more I liked it. As a matter of fact, by the time we left our cruise (31 days) the more I want to return to Marina, she is beautiful!!!

Her size is not too big....there is more walking, but it's so worth it. The Horizons lounge is bigger and better, the choice of restaurants is increased, the bar area is beautiful, the dining room doesn't have the raised center and is quieter, and the cabins are larger. The entire ship is beautiful and doesn't present a feeling of being too big. It still has that intimate feeling.

We are scheduled to sail this summer to Northern Europe but on Insignia. Personally, I will miss the Marina.;)

We are among those who don't care for larger ships. The "R" class Insignia was very nice but still had a big ship feel to it. We enjoyed our cruise, the accomodations and dining, but the passenger count was too high. The ship felt more like the Holland America ship we sailed on vs the Windstar ships that we love. The places this was most evident was at the pool deck, dinner in the Main Dining Room, and when setting out for excursions.

We want to visit the Scandinavian capitols and St. Petersburg but when we found that the Marina was cruising our preferred itinerary, we didn't book. I know the R class ships have some cruises up that way, but their points of origin and itineraries were not what we were seeking. Tried talking up the good points of Marina but my spouse will not budge on the ship size: R class is as big as he'd ever consider. Will try again next summer on one of the smaller ship lines like Seabourn, Compagnie du Ponant or Windstar if they decide to run a Scandinavian cruise for more than 7 days.

If you husband is that adamant about the ship size, then you need to stick to the smaller ships. If he thinks Insignia is too big, I'm sure he'd be unhappy on Marina.

There is no wrong side here.

An interesting question.

Right now (and likely to change as time passes) we look upon O very favorably for European itineraries because you are really hard pressed to find more intensive routes on any other line. I don't think that Marina would be a turn off but there is comfort in what you know.

At this point we won't cruise O for the Caribbean until such time as they address some weak points that get emphasized on the more sea day itineraries - no need to go into that here. On those itineraries we will try a larger ship although not one of those monsters with over 4,000 pax. Until we give it another try on a larger ship and there's a decent chance that we may conclude that no cruise line is appropriate for the Caribbean (compared to say a land stay).

As we age, we are determined to remain "flexible". But alas, we are failing. We will stay with smaller ships. We tried larger once, but that was enough--too many people, too poor service. Sorry to say, but we like the smaller R ships and will stick with them. Ddcruiser

As we age, we are determined to remain "flexible". But alas, we are failing. We will stay with smaller ships. We tried larger once, but that was enough--too many people, too poor service. Sorry to say, but we like the smaller R ships and will stick with them. Ddcruiser

I'm having a very bizarre sense of deja vu.

In 1992-1993, almost 20 years ago, and LONG before there was such a thing as Cruise Critic, we were were having this EXACT CONVERSATION with our Holland America cruise buddies.

ROTTERDAM+JAN+1970+Trevor.jpg

HAL, whose largest ship at the time was the 38000 ton Rotterdam V , was then building the 56000 ton Statendam, and the old guard was up in arms.

hal-statendam2.jpg

Now, although the jump in size is almost identical to the one that Oceania has presented to us in 2011, the Rotterdam had the additional cachet of being one of the last of the classic liners. She had also been sailing for thirty years by 1993, and had a huge following of intensely satisfied clientèle to her credit.

Despite this, the larger ship clearly won the day.

ms Amsterdam 61000 tons

ms Eurodam 86000 tons

ms Maasdam 56000 tons

ms Nieuw Amsterdam 86000 tons

ms Noordam 85000 tons

ms Amsterdam 85000 tons

ms Prinsendam 38000 tons

ms Rotterdam 60000 tons

ms Ryndam 56000 tons

ms Statendam 56000 tons

ms Veendam 56000 tons

ms Volendam 61000 tons

ms Westerdam 82000 tons

Zaandam 61000 tons

ms Zuiderdam 85000 tons

Today, the Statendam class is the smallest class of ship that Holland America Operates.

Yes, the Prinsendam is an exception to that rule, but she a hand me down from Cunard and 23 years old. Frankly, Hal does not seem very enthused about replacing her with a similarly sized newbuild.

In short, if you like the size of the R ships, book them early , and book them often. Nothing lasts forever

Oceania_Insignia_Nautica_2.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT1gmfu42Qj8G

I don't know a thing about Rotterdam , Amsterdam or the rest of that line, never cared to cruise her.. in the 90's the big woop was of course the Crown Odyssey! < spelling?> Nobody topped that line in the day.. Amazing..fabulous staff, incredible service, beautiful ship..Greek crew ..And the suites were just beautiful..I think perhaps there were 1000 passengers..but that felt perfect..until along came Ren with my baby ships... 100 passengers are you kidding.. dinner made to order..what a class act that was and then to follow with the "R" ships ..nobody can top this linee nobody!

imho. ;-) and been saying this for about 20 years!!

I don't know a thing about Rotterdam , Amterdam or the rest of that line, never cared to cruise her.. in the 90's the big woop was of course the Crown Odyessey! Nobody topped that line.. Amazing..fabulous staff, incredible service, beautiful ship..Greek crew ..And the suites were just beautiful..I think perhaps there were 1000 passengers..but that felt perfect

4661475156_721a0666c7.jpg

I agree that the Crown Odyssey was an absolutely gorgeous old girl, and that Royal was a strictly first class operation. But she was nowhere near as spacious as you remember.

As built, for example, Crown Odyssey was carrying 1230 passengers in a 34000 ton ship; compare that to Marina which carries 1258 in a 65000 ton ship.

You may still cruise on the old Crown Odyssey, if you are so inclined. She is sailing for Fred Olsen now, as their Balmoral. Unfortunately, she was stretched by a hundred feet in 2007 (to add more veranda cabins) and she now carries 1778 passengers as a 43,500 ton ship.

art.cruise.ship.fredolsen.jpgShe does do some interesting itineraries, though-

In April of 2012,the Miles Morgan travel bureau has chartered Balmoral to follow the route that the Titanic sailed in April of 1912. She will stop her engines at the spot where Titanic foundered to hold a memorial service.

I'm not sure I'd like that-

In April of 2012,the Miles Morgan travel bureau has chartered Balmoral to follow the route that the Titanic sailed in April of 1912. She will stop her engines at the spot where Titanic foundered to hold a memorial service.

I'm not sure I'd like that-

You may not be sure ... I am! No way would I want to do that!!!! The temptation for Neptune to get even with us is just too huge.

Archived