Princess or RCCL?

CrashandCari

Hi everyone. New to this forum but I've stalked a bit and think you all have such great advice.

We are planning a cruise for November (right after Thanksgiving) and are torn between the two following cruises:

Ruby Princess eastern caribbean (ft. lauderdale - princess cays - at sea - st. maarten - st. thomas - grand turk - at sea - ft lauderdale)

or

Oasis of the Seas western caribbean (ft. lauderdale - at sea - labadee - falmouth - at sea - cozumel - at sea - ft. lauderdale).

We've been to both eastern and western already. The only difference being that we have sailed on RCCL but not Princess. As for RCCL ports, obviously Falmouth is new and my husband hasn't been to labadee (its been a while since I've been there and hear its changed so much). As for Princess ports, grand turk and princess cays would be new to us both.

Both have the private island experience we are looking forward to. And either way we would be staying on board one day to enjoy the quiet emptiness of the ship (either st. thomas or cozumel since we've been there before).

Any advice as to which cruise is the better pick? Pros and/or cons for each ship or itinerary?

Also, should we have any worries about weather for that time of the year?

Thanks in advance... Cari

I guess it depends on what you like. I don't think you can go wrong with Princess or RCI. If you like beaches and shopping, then it's Princess for sure - there are 4 great beach days. Don't know anything about Falmouth, but if you have already been to coz, then the Ruby Princess looks best to me. I personally like to have my face in the water!!

I would think (other than the obvious SIZE comparisons) that the Ruby is far less expensive than the Oasis. If money is a concern, I'd go on the Ruby. If money is no issue, then I'd love to experience the Oasis (and I think Labadee is lovely.)

Large Ship/Smaller Ship, I think you would be better off with Princess, a little more laid back and casual. I'm sure the prices are different also. I enjoyed St. Thomas and St. Maarten more. We like to walk and sight see, so that's another reason we would take the Ruby. You can't go wrong on a cruise, Best vacation in the world... Have A Drink For Me, which ever you take...:D ENJOY

C.G.

I love both lines. I have to say that everyone should experience the Oasis. It is a destination in itself. It is an awesome ship and the shows are just terrific. The weather should be just about perfect. We did the Western and pretty much stayed onboard. ;)

First off let me address the Weather issue. It is the end of the Hurricane season,but there is always a chance of a storm kicking things up.:confused:

As for what to cruise and where to go. most of my cruising experience has been on RCCL and I have cruised both the Eastern and western routes. I have my favorites like anyone else does.:)

Labadee has been built up has a dock so no more tendering(Thank God) The improvements are very nice. We just got back from Cozemel and discovered the water park that offers the Dolphin encounter was a great beach.

For the Eastern both St Thomas and St Marteen are getting a little bit too built up for my liking:(

Other suggestions...

Your profile says you live in New York. If you want to fly, don't rule out a Southern Caribbean route from San Juan, Puerto Rico. RCCL has the Adventure of the Seas Nov. 27 that stops in: St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba, and Curacao.

Also consider cruises from Bayonne, New Jersey. There is a 12-day Celebrity leaving from Bayonne on Nov. 30, that does an Eastern/Southern Caribbean route. And RCCL has the Explorer of the Seas from Bayonne, 10 days Dec. 1, that does Eastern Caribbean. You might find it cheaper to drive to Bayonne rather than fly.

Weather should be fine once you reach the Caribbean. Ships will start decorating for Christmas right after USA Thanksgiving.

Thanks for the advice guys. Just when I think we'll go one way I get turned around to the other lol.

Jimnbigd - San Juan is not an option for us. We get free airfare so fly standby and only 1 flight a day to San Juan make leaving from there a bit nerve-wracking. Leaving from Florida is much easier. However, I never even looked at the cruises leaving from NY or NJ. You're right.. its much easier to drive there and not even deal with the flights. Will check it out. Thanks so much.

Archived