Anyone been to Bannister Island Recently?

OntCruise

We'll be in Belize in 2 weeks and have booked a ship excursion to Bannister Island (we were there 2 years ago and loved it). I wondered if they have any snorkelling excursions that you can purchase that leave directly from the island and return you back in time to get the tender back to the ship.

I emailed BI, but haven't got a response yet.

Bannister Island/Snorkel/Manatee excursion is still being offered on Coral Breeze website for Belize.

I've been thinking about doing that excursion since the one I want (Snorkel/Stingray Alley/Caye Caulker) isn't being offered by Coral Breeze to NCL Spirit passengers the day we'll be there.

Haven't made the final decision on what to do, yet, but it's nice to hear you liked Bannister Island.

:(We just returned Sunday from a 7 day on the Legend. We had done Bannister Island on a past Carmival cruise and loved our time there. When we tried to book it thru the ship for this cruise we found out the only way we could book it was thru Coral Breeze, so we did. 3/3/11 We took the ships tender into the port and then loaded onto a smaller boat for the trip to the island. It took about 25 min to go right back past our anchored ship and then to the island. When we got there it seemd to be deserted. After about 10 minutes and our guide getting off the boat and going to find someone, the caretaker (or new owner?) finally came out with a cell phone in his ear to tell us all that there would be no services offered on the island that day. At first he told us the island was closed and we couldn't stay. After a few minutes off talking with our tour guide he said we could stay and swim but there would be no services of any kind. No bar, food, drinks of any kind, restrooms, rentals or anything. Our guide offered to take us to a different beach but when we got there it was pretty much a dump so everyone voted to return to the pier and get a full refund. We were given back the cash we had paid that day and I got an e-mail yesterday saying my CC had been credited for our deposit. What we were told is the new owners are pissed off at Carnival so they were taking it out on the people that had booked independently! Not too smart, it won't take long for word to get out and no one will want to risk being turned away at the dock. We wasted 1-1/2+ hours of our morning only to then have nothing booked for the day. There really are not any nice beaches on the main part of Belize so we ended up just going back to the ship and relaxing for the rest of the day. Not a bad day at all just a hassle and not a day at a beach like we planned. Until (and IF) the new owners get their act together I would skip this option.:(

:(We just returned Sunday from a 7 day on the Legend. We had done Bannister Island on a past Carmival cruise and loved our time there. When we tried to book it thru the ship for this cruise we found out the only way we could book it was thru Coral Breeze, so we did. 3/3/11 We took the ships tender into the port and then loaded onto a smaller boat for the trip to the island. It took about 25 min to go right back past our anchored ship and then to the island. When we got there it seemd to be deserted. After about 10 minutes and our guide getting off the boat and going to find someone, the caretaker (or new owner?) finally came out with a cell phone in his ear to tell us all that there would be no services offered on the island that day. At first he told us the island was closed and we couldn't stay. After a few minutes off talking with our tour guide he said we could stay and swim but there would be no services of any kind. No bar, food, drinks of any kind, restrooms, rentals or anything. Our guide offered to take us to a different beach but when we got there it was pretty much a dump so everyone voted to return to the pier and get a full refund. We were given back the cash we had paid that day and I got an e-mail yesterday saying my CC had been credited for our deposit. What we were told is the new owners are pissed off at Carnival so they were taking it out on the people that had booked independently! Not too smart, it won't take long for word to get out and no one will want to risk being turned away at the dock. We wasted 1-1/2+ hours of our morning only to then have nothing booked for the day. There really are not any nice beaches on the main part of Belize so we ended up just going back to the ship and relaxing for the rest of the day. Not a bad day at all just a hassle and not a day at a beach like we planned. Until (and IF) the new owners get their act together I would skip this option.:(

Great to now thanks so much for the info

Very interesting.. thanks for posting.

We will be there next Tuesday and our excursion is booked through RCCL. We haven't received an emails or message to say anything is changed, so I'm assuming it's a go. We loved Bannister Island last time... I'll be sad if it's cancelled because nothing else really interests us.

I emailed Bannister Island directly to ask about snorkel excursions and they never responded.

I have a Bannister Island tour scheduled with Coral Breeze for 04-05-11 off of the Carnival Dream. I was concerned about the tour based on the review by Cosmo Cruiser so I sent Coral Breeze an e-mail. Coral Breeze responded to my e-mail within minutes. Here is there response.

"I'm afraid we were surprised as anyone about the surprise closure last Thursday. That's the first time anything like that has happened since the new owners began operating the island a few months ago. There haven't been any problems this week either. (I think the new owners now understand that the closure was like cutting off your nose to spite your face.)"

I am going to hold off cancelling until 03-23-11 to see how things go on the Dream's next scheduled visit on 03-22-11. Coral Breeze is willing to either cancel and refund my deposit or set me up with another tour.

I also was worried about my excursion on April 27th. I emailed and received a very quick reply from Mark. It was basically the same as the above posters. I am keeping my reservation and hoping the new owners are done with that tactic. It was very reassuring to me that Coral Breezes refunded the money on March 3rd. It may not have been a great situation, but at least Coral Breezes seemed to do everything within its power to first try another beach, and then to refund the entire amount.

I am hoping people will update this thread with their experiences in the upcoming weeks.

I hope all of you do get to go for the day, it is a very nice place to spend a beach day. Coral Breeze handled the situation very well and we have no issues with them at all. We will use them again in the future, I'm just not sure the new owners of the island are in the right business. :confused:

I guess time will tell if they figure out how best to operate a service business.

I booked a Bannister Island excursion with Coral Breezes for April 13, 2011 and received an email from Mark this morning to inform me that he was refunding my deposit. He said Carnival Legend had informed him of an April 15 arrival therefore he could not accommodate me on the 13th. He was very nice but I think there may be some conflict between Carnival and Belize. Just my opinion :(

We visited Bannister Island three years ago and it was by far my favorite excursion. It was awesome!

I booked a Bannister Island excursion with Coral Breezes for April 13, 2011 and received an email from Mark this morning to inform me that he was refunding my deposit. He said Carnival Legend had informed him of an April 15 arrival therefore he could not accommodate me on the 13th. He was very nice but I think there may be some conflict between Carnival and Belize. Just my opinion :(

We visited Bannister Island three years ago and it was by far my favorite excursion. It was awesome!

Is it possible they have changed your itinerary so you could book for the 15th instead. Sounds like he cant accomidate you because the ship wont get there until the 15th :-)

Subscribing to this thread as we want to go to Bannister Island off the Legend in June. It would be nice if CCL would start offering this as a ship's excursion, I read where they used to and you just went straight from the ship to Bannister Island and back, didn't have to tender to port.

Subscribing to this thread as we want to go to Bannister Island off the Legend in June. It would be nice if CCL would start offering this as a ship's excursion, I read where they used to and you just went straight from the ship to Bannister Island and back, didn't have to tender to port.

We are headed to Belize on the Triumph in June. I notice that Carnival has a new excursion being offered called "Barrier Reef Snorkel with Beach Break" It includes

Experiences: Beach, Canoe/Kayak/Raft/Tube, Sailing, Snorkeling, Swimming

It does not say where it is going nor has any pics or videos like some excursions. I called Carnival and ask them where this excursion goes, and of course the operator had no idea :confused: I wonder if it could be Bannister Island?

I notice that Carnival has a new excursion being offered called "Barrier Reef Snorkel with Beach Break" It includes

Experiences: Beach, Canoe/Kayak/Raft/Tube, Sailing, Snorkeling, Swimming

We were in Belize last Tuesday and did the Beach Break through Royal Caribbean. Our tour description stated: ""sun, fun, swimming, relaxing, or beach volleyball. Complimentary use of volleyball, frisbees and catch ball are included. All other activities such as snorkeling, kayaking, paddle boats, power boats are at an additional fee."

Not everyone in our party snorkels so I specifically asked ahead a time if there was snorkelling tours available once we got to the island and was told yes. Well... there was no snorkelling. Well the tour guide said he would take my husband and boys out to the reef to snorkel for $20 if WE could round up some more people?? There was also no paddle boats, or power boats and they would not let the boys use the kayake because they said you had to be 18 years of age. We paid full price adult tickets for all of us because the boys were 14 and 15 and too old for the "child price". So basically it was swimming, eating/drinking or playing beach volleyball (one court/ball for 300 people). Good thing we brought our own football.

I emailed Royal's customer service and suggested they update their tour description. The weather was not great until just about 1/2 hour before the tender returned to the ship at 2:00 pm (way too early in my opinion)... so the day was basically a waste of money. Weather was gorgeous when we got back on the ship!

We were in Belize last Tuesday and did the Beach Break through Royal Caribbean. Our tour description stated: ""sun, fun, swimming, relaxing, or beach volleyball. Complimentary use of volleyball, frisbees and catch ball are included. All other activities such as snorkeling, kayaking, paddle boats, power boats are at an additional fee."

Not everyone in our party snorkels so I specifically asked ahead a time if there was snorkelling tours available once we got to the island and was told yes. Well... there was no snorkelling. Well the tour guide said he would take my husband and boys out to the reef to snorkel for $20 if WE could round up some more people?? There was also no paddle boats, or power boats and they would not let the boys use the kayake because they said you had to be 18 years of age. We paid full price adult tickets for all of us because the boys were 14 and 15 and too old for the "child price". So basically it was swimming, eating/drinking or playing beach volleyball (one court/ball for 300 people). Good thing we brought our own football.

I emailed Royal's customer service and suggested they update their tour description. The weather was not great until just about 1/2 hour before the tender returned to the ship at 2:00 pm (way too early in my opinion)... so the day was basically a waste of money. Weather was gorgeous when we got back on the ship!

Thank you OntCruise, I'm sorry that wasn't more of what you were looking for. I am afraid that will be the same with us. That is why I am hesitant to book. I just keep looking and looking for something else. How was the actual beach? Were there chairs or hammocks for use? Thanks again :)

How was the actual beach? Were there chairs or hammocks for use? Thanks again :)

The beach is ok.. definintely been to better. The lounge chairs have seen better days. They are really worn out. There are a few hammocks around the island and a few little tikki huts and some trees. The beach is rocky with sharp coral so I'd suggest wearing water shoes. On a bright sunny day it's just beautiful -- the water in Belize is gorgeous shades of blue. If you just want a lazy day at the beach then it's not a bad tour ... just don't expect a lot of activites. The island is under new ownership since last time we were there so I was really disappointed to see they hadn't made many improvements. In my opinion the place could be a gold mine if they put some work into it.

From what I read, Bannister was hit by a huricane last year.There's nothing there now. Google it and read the recent posts. Closed for a months and now trying to make a comeback. Know before you go.

I did the google search, and it was hit, but it seems new ownership has rebuilt. There are reports in this thread about recent visits, so saying there is nothing there seems to be a little extreme, I certainly hope that is not the case. I will be there in late April, so I will see. In the meantime I am hoping that people who visit the island will continue to update this thread. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from the NCL Spirit cruise. I booked a beach break tour to Bannister Island through NCL, so I can't speak for CCL. Lots of loungers, hammocks, floaties, etc. The tender picked us up straight from the ship and took us to Bannister Island. I can't speak for snorkelers. I just sat on the beach and enjoyed life.

Just back from the NCL Spirit cruise. I booked a beach break tour to Bannister Island through NCL, so I can't speak for CCL. Lots of loungers, hammocks, floaties, etc. The tender picked us up straight from the ship and took us to Bannister Island. I can't speak for snorkelers. I just sat on the beach and enjoyed life.

Sounds great. How was the food/drink? Selection? Price?

I had the nachos. I think they were $8, and the beer, if I remember correctly was $3. Hot dogs and burgers were also on the menu, plus other things. Sorry, can't remember more. I brought water shoes on someone's recommendation here, and they were useful. The water's edge is covered with shells. Bathroom was clean, plenty of loungers, sunny areas and shady areas.

I had the nachos. I think they were $8, and the beer, if I remember correctly was $3. Hot dogs and burgers were also on the menu, plus other things. Sorry, can't remember more. I brought water shoes on someone's recommendation here, and they were useful. The water's edge is covered with shells. Bathroom was clean, plenty of loungers, sunny areas and shady areas.

thanks, sounds gr8

Thanks for coming back to post for us who's been asking about Bannister Island for months now.

You're going to get a lot of questions on this one.

Was the island crowded. Did they have live music or any kind of music playing? Did the waiters come around to you or you had to get your own drinks? Was there a bar?

Any other info you could think of would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Archived