helicopter /float plane trips - medical question?

higgyhiggy

Hi, we are cruising inside passage in May and I really want to do a helicopter glacier landing trip and a misty fjords floatplane trip. However, I have a medical condition that means I need to use a toilet quite frequently (usually an hour is the best I can manage to wait)

Can anyone advise as to whether this rules out these kind of excursions, or is there room for sneaky toilet breaks (even outdoors, I'm not too proud!)? Anyone having done these trips, please offer any advice, it would be most appreciated.

These tours/flights are all way more than an hour, you are best to be prepared for at least 2 hours+ without a toilet. And, No there aren't any "areas" you can sneak off to on either of these.

There are alternative options/briefs etc, that would have to be considered in your case.

You could try Serenity or the equilivant. The trips are well worth a small degree of discomfort, but only you can know how much discomfort it will be to you. I think about 2-1/2 hours is the shortest excursion time, but that includes travel from the ship to the helicopter/plane. From my experience there may be a chance to use the bathroom just prior to boarding, so that would shorten the time away from toilets by the travel time and the getting organized time. (It takes a few minutes to get equipment issued, weights checked, etc.) Also, you may be able to use the bathroom again upon returning from the flight before going back to the ship.

Someone on the Disabled Cruising forum under Special Interest Cruising may have experience with a problem like yours. They're great folks with lots of helpful tips and advice.

You could try Serenity or the equilivant. The trips are well worth a small degree of discomfort, but only you can know how much discomfort it will be to you. I think about 2-1/2 hours is the shortest excursion time, but that includes travel from the ship to the helicopter/plane. From my experience there may be a chance to use the bathroom just prior to boarding, so that would shorten the time away from toilets by the travel time and the getting organized time. (It takes a few minutes to get equipment issued, weights checked, etc.) Also, you may be able to use the bathroom again upon returning from the flight before going back to the ship.

Someone on the Disabled Cruising forum under Special Interest Cruising may have experience with a problem like yours. They're great folks with lots of helpful tips and advice.

Yes, your last bathroom opportunity will be at the office. I have used a lot of Alaska flightseeing vendors and all had this availablity.

Yes they do weigh you and with your coat, shoes and etc on. Usually the scale is set up so you have some privacy on the result, but be ware of maximum weight limits.

They may make a person either buy a 2nd ticket or if none is available give you a refund and you won't fly.

Archived