Best Snorkeling on Eastern CB itnerary?

MentalVacation

stops in St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Princess Cays. We want to snorkel at least once. What port has the BEST snorkeling so we can make an informed decision.

We've snorkeled in Belize, Grand Cayman and Cozumel so far. I think Belize wins overall. Looking for good clarity in the water, calm waters and lots of colorful fish/fauna to see. Cozumel was a disappointment in that regard -- at least where I was snorkeling I guess....

I look forward to input!

If you are looking to snorkle I would say St Thomas (I haven't been to PC) but was disappointed with the snorkeling in St Martin - I have done a number of various snorkling trips in St thomas/St Johns and think that is your best bet.

Buck Island's Turtle cove has some of the best snorkling I have done in this area. I have seen barracuda, a nurse shark, baby squid, spider fish, amongst many other things. I have taken two different tours (not with Princess) to this same cove. Both had guides who got into the water and went around and pointed out everything and often dove down and brought up various things to show us.

I have snorkled in many of the islands and this one that really afforded a nice variety of sea life.

In January our snorkeling trip to St. Johns was changed to St. James (Christmas Cove) due to weather conditions. The snorkeling at Christmas Cove was better than St. Johns. The tour guide said Christmas Cove is where the locals go to snorkel.

I have been to Trunk bay a couple of times. Trunk bay is great for beginner snorklers, those who might not be strong swimmers, children, etc. but IMHO not as good as turtle cove. My parents like Trunk bay as it is easy to snorkle right off the beach. There are underwater plaques that tell you what you are looking at. It has many pros.

Some cons - I have found that this tour is cancelled if the water if rough or cloudy. It can sometimes be very cloudy. My parents have had this cancelled a few times over their years of cruising.

I would recommend this to someone with children, beginner swimmers or someone who wants to compromise between beach time and snorkling time.

Archived