Vancouver Stay

vharbaugh

We will be in Vancouver for a couple of days before our trip on the Ryndam in May. Do we need to convert american money to Canadian before arriving in Vancouver or is American currency widely excepted. We will need to pay for meals and cab fare while in Vancouver before boarding our ship.

Thanks-

Vickie

American money is accepted just as well as Canadian. You just lose some by not exchanging. The best thing to do is CHARGE everything. You get the best rates thru your charge card bank. We charged even several sticks of gum.

Ahhh but my Mastercard charges horrible fees for conversions....my credit union advised me I will get the best rate withdrawing cash from Canadian ATM's using my ATM card.

I did read that some credit cards charge 3% for conversion. That is highway robbery, and as the OP pointed out can be easily avoided by using cash. I have the same question about converting money when and where? Is the first bank seen on the street a good choice or ??? Our charge card doesn't charge this exorbitant fee, but we will still need cash occasionally for tips, bus fares, etc.

I travel to Canada frequently and I've found the best thing to do is just go to an ATM once you land.

They will take U.S. money at most places but they will give you a horrible exchange rate.

There is no reason to pay a fee at a bank or one of those boths at the airport to exchange your money.

Scott

The last couple of years I have gone down to my main Wells Fargo bank and purchased some Canadian currency. The exchange rate was the going rate for the day and there was no fee to exchange the money (I bank with Wells Fargo). They said they would exchange any left over paper money (not coins) when I returned.

and the big stores do not give a HORRIBLE exchange rate.Most banks are open on Saturdays and there are several money exchanged in the downtown area. They give a better rate than the bank. Everyone takes travellers cheques.

Archived