5 ships at port!!

millerboy88

:eek: YIKES.... I just realized that for our upcoming cruise in April, there will be 5 ships in port on the same day, one is the Oasis. How bad will it be getting around St. Maarten? Will it be wall to wall people everywhere you look? We had planned on going to Orient Beach, then to town for shopping before getting back on board...........

Since it is going to be sooo crowded, should one just stay on the ship ?

We never been here before, but don't want to get off the boat if its just going to be misery.

Gary

No way would I stay on the ship in St. Maarten. Blue Bubbles offers snorkeling excursions and is within a ten minute walk from the port. You could hire a driver for the day and visit beaches off the beaten path as far as cruisers go. Or you could plan an excursion from the ship if you are worried about getting stuck in traffic and missing the ship. It is not uncommon these days to have this many ships in port at one time.

Leaving one person on the ship is not going to make a bit of difference if the others don't get back in time. Unless you book an excursion through the cruise line, they won't wait for the others even if you beg.. :(

So go ashore and just allow yourself plenty of time to get back.........or like I said, book an excursion through the ship. That way, you don't have to worry.

I actually think we will be there the same time as you, because I know there are 5 ships in port when we are there in April too. I booked an excursion through Bernard. He assures us that he is use to dealing with this and so hopefully, he will get us back in time. I'm not going to worry. I'm on vacation and I bought insurance, so I'm covered either way. Go enjoy St Maartin. It's a wonderful island!!!

:eek: YIKES.... I just realized that for our upcoming cruise in April, there will be 5 ships in port on the same day, one is the Oasis. How bad will it be getting around St. Maarten? Will it be wall to wall people everywhere you look? We had planned on going to Orient Beach, then to town for shopping before getting back on board...........

You can do a catamaran trip or the America's Cup Yacht Race. For each, walk off the ship, and get on the cat or water taxi right next to the cruise ship.

No crowds to contend with at all, and each are great excursions.

It isn't just Oasis that makes this a busy port. My first cruise to St. Maarten on Navigator in 2005 we almost missed the ship. In the afternoon the traffic is unbelievable. We had children with us and decided to run for the ship. A taxi wasn't an option as it was bumber to bumber traffic. The water taxi sounds like a great idea or a ship excursion. My family are chronically early and always teased about it. However, this port caught even us unaware.

We will be in St. Martin on March 31. Where do I look to see what other ships are at port there that day?

We are at port from 8 - 5. We scheduled the Loterie Farm Ziplining Adventure from 8:30 - 1. Our two daughters are so excited to do it! Would we be safe to go check out the planes at Maho Beach after that or would we be cutting it too close time-wise? What time do you suggest we start heading back to the ship at if we do make it to a beach (Maho or Orient)? Thanks for your advice!!

We will be in St. Martin on March 31. Where do I look to see what other ships are at port there that day?

We are at port from 8 - 5. We scheduled the Loterie Farm Ziplining Adventure from 8:30 - 1. Our two daughters are so excited to do it! Would we be safe to go check out the planes at Maho Beach after that or would we be cutting it too close time-wise? What time do you suggest we start heading back to the ship at if we do make it to a beach (Maho or Orient)? Thanks for your advice!!

Rockymou - you can go to http://www.cruisett.com/ and see what ships will be in port on the day you'll be there..... :)

No way would I stay on the ship in St. Maarten. Blue Bubbles offers snorkeling excursions and is within a ten minute walk from the port. You could hire a driver for the day and visit beaches off the beaten path as far as cruisers go. Or you could plan an excursion from the ship if you are worried about getting stuck in traffic and missing the ship. It is not uncommon these days to have this many ships in port at one time.

Thanks for all the information

• 3 weeks later...

There were 6 ships in port the day were there, including the oasis and dream, (2 biggest) and we had no problem. We did atv tour in the am, and shopping around phillipsburg with water taxi back to port i hour before embarkation. others in our group took taxi to orient beach and back, again leaving an hour leeway.

We got lucky, we are the only ship in port,,,,wow,,,,,that is sweet!!

05/05/2011 Thursday 07:00 17:00 ALLURE OF THE SEAS

05/05/2011 Thursday 08:00 17:30 SERENADE OF THE SEAS

Two for us. I hope that's right. It will be a good chance for me to see Serenade for the first time.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned and had the same situation. We booked a tour through the ship because of the number of ships in port to be safe. Even with that, traffic was horrible and we spent a lot of time sitting in the traffic when we had hoped we would return a little earlier allowing some time to walk around the port.

Be aware that when returning from Maho one has to cross a draw bridge that gets busy (meaning open) in the afternoon. This can cause traffic delays. Allow yourself plenty of time to return to the ship.

MahoBeachStMaarten.jpg

danger.jpg

We were there last week, there were 5 ships in port and it was crowded! We went to Margot and were intending to go to Orient from there but it started to rain so instead took a bus back to the beach by the port. The bus ride took about an hour because of traffic and the narrow roads. The beach by the ports was crowded (it had quit raining) I don't like that beach much, too many people, too many vendors. We did rent chairs and people watched and read and an ok time but there were lots of tourists.

Be aware that when returning from Maho one has to cross a draw bridge that gets busy (meaning open) in the afternoon. This can cause traffic delays. Allow yourself plenty of time to return to the ship.

You see this reference to the bridge opening here all the time, but it really shouldn't be of concern to most cruisers.

During low season the afternoon opening is at 5:30 PM. During high season there is an additional opening at 4:30, but most cruisers should be back in Philipsburg shopping or even back on the ship for sail-away by then.

If your ship doesn't sail until later in the day then make note of the times, otherwise ...

gary

Thanks for those links! Im very excited now... On St Thomas, St Maarten, and Tortola, my ship will be the only one in port!! Ive never seen that on St Thomas! San Juan, there will be 2 other ships but we stay on the ship there anyway... YAY!!

Thanks for those links! Im very excited now... On St Thomas, St Maarten, and Tortola, my ship will be the only one in port!! Ive never seen that on St Thomas! San Juan, there will be 2 other ships but we stay on the ship there anyway... YAY!!

The last time I was in St. Thomas (July 2010) we were the only ship in port.

Archived