Insect Repellent

dmc1025

I will be in AK in early July and have read that bringing insect repellent is a good idea. My question is at what ports or areas would need to use it. Would it be any time I am on land? Also do people recommend the wipes or a spray to use?

Thanks!

I have never had issues with insects in coastal Alaska but move a few miles inland it is wise to carry some with you. Your local WalMart will likely have two brands in the sporting goods department that contain 99% DEET. They will be in a small plastic pump bottle and will easily fit in your pocket or bag.

We took a drive in Skagway and there were these pesty bugs, very small just flying all around your face as we got out to take photos. Learned even if you are getting out of the car for a second, close the door behind you or they will be riding with you! Don't know what they are called, did not bite, just got in your eyes and mouth. Wonder if some spray would help those critters?

I was in the wetter area of Alaska and did not realize mosquitoes would be out in 60 degree weather. I was in this area for less than 30 minutes and got eaten up.I had to go to the dermatologist when I got home and needed prednisone and antibiotics! I grew up in the Arkansas delta area which is full of mosquitoes but had never gotten bites like these!

Have a great time!

I will be in AK in early July and have read that bringing insect repellent is a good idea. My question is at what ports or areas would need to use it. Would it be any time I am on land? Also do people recommend the wipes or a spray to use?

Thanks!

We have property in a spot with so many mosquitoes after high water that university researchers use it as a collection spot. We use Deep Woods Off wipes and are fine.

Viv

We will be in Denail the last week of May and cruising south the first week of June. In Skagway we doing the bus/traing trip to Bennett Lake. Will we need repellant this early in the season?

I haven't run into any significant bug problems in this timeframe. You aren't getting past Toklat in Denali, so you are OK there. IF at all possible, hold off on Denali until June 1, if you have any schedule options to do so. Getting to Eielson is definately worthwhile.

Thanks!

Mid July, we only ran into the little rascals at Earthquake Park in Anchorage, (warned by the bike shop and they were right) and around Wonder Lake in Denali they went after hubby, my defense system, but not me. None at Mendenhall or Mt. Roberts; kayaking in Ketchikan; eagle float or biking Haines.

Deep Woods Off Wipes are compact and less chance of getting in eyes when you are doing the wavy-dance. Also some sprays spurt and splat and you still have to rub on with your hands which creates an issue when you have good camera equip.

I was in the wetter area of Alaska and did not realize mosquitoes would be out in 60 degree weather. I was in this area for less than 30 minutes and got eaten up.I had to go to the dermatologist when I got home and needed prednisone and antibiotics! I grew up in the Arkansas delta area which is full of mosquitoes but had never gotten bites like these!

Have a great time!

Could you tell us where the "wetter area of Alaska" is? We are going on our 1st cruise to Alaska - leaving from Anchorage, Homer, Seward, Juneau, Haines, Hoonah, Sitka, Wrangell & Ketchikan. We are also visiting the Anan Wilderness Observatory from Wrangell. Are these area included in your definition of "the wetter area of Alaska?"

Thanks for your help. My husband is very susceptible to bites.

Archived