Any Recent Reviews of X Summit to Bermuda?

DH and I are going on Summit to Bermuda in June. I would love to get very recent reviews of accessibility, especially about getting on and off the ship at King's Wharf in a power wheelchair.

We have booked an accessible cabin, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I have read some posts that say there are newer accessible public busses on Bermuda, but have also read that the busses are not accessible. Can anyone confirm that there are any accessible busses?

We are planning to take the ferry to Hamilton and St. George's, and also probably book a tour with one of the accessible tour companies mentioned several times here on Cruise Critic. For the ferry, do we need to be concerned about tides and steepness of the ramps?

Thanks! I can't wait till June!

DH and I are going on Summit to Bermuda in June. I would love to get very recent reviews of accessibility, especially about getting on and off the ship at King's Wharf in a power wheelchair.

We have booked an accessible cabin, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I have read some posts that say there are newer accessible public busses on Bermuda, but have also read that the busses are not accessible. Can anyone confirm that there are any accessible busses?

We are planning to take the ferry to Hamilton and St. George's, and also probably book a tour with one of the accessible tour companies mentioned several times here on Cruise Critic. For the ferry, do we need to be concerned about tides and steepness of the ramps?

Thanks! I can't wait till June!

FERRIES -- Large one -- has a steep ramp to go up -- but crew does assist with a push - usually the one at 9:30 a.m.

Smaller local ferries -- usual catamaran type -- access is done when ferry height levels out by weight of passengers. If there is a lip, they have metal ramps to assist.

Saint George's is brick cobblestone and sometimes angled - slight difficulty in spots. Dunking is at Noon - approx. 20 minutes in length of time and is flat for viewing. There is a tram there (one step up like a van step) approx. cost $20 for a 1 hr. seated tour of the area -- leave w/c or scooter under awning -- gives history and scenic views -- highly recommend.

Hamilton is citified?? lots of traffic, curb cuts 1/2 way down the block at times -- some stores have one step up -- but most are accessible. Prices are high as all is imported.

Buses last summer '10 were marked handicapped, however, ramps to go off did not line up with sidewalks so weren't allowed on. Use Unique Vacations (Judith and Robyn) for tours -- book ahead of time -- they are a wonderful outfit with proper lift, knowledge of area and new bus for approx. 12 peope with room for w/c or scooter- approx. $85/pp for 1/2 day tour. Zoo, aquarium, and underwater museum all accessible and fun -- not big time places, but adequate for sightseeing pleasure. Highly recommend.

Kings Wharf -- easy accessibility -- cobblestone at times, but flat. Vist Governor's Mansion for museum -- uphill but doable - $12 charge or so -- very interesting if into history, i.e. postcards written in code during war, etc.

Kings Wharf is spread out - shopping, just ok. Glass overpriced, rum cakes, crafts, vendors in season. Beach right there -- they now charge. Frog & Onion - good place to eat. FUN day at Wharf -- very accessible.

Summit -- great ship. Vicki

FERRIES -- Large one -- has a steep ramp to go up -- but crew does assist with a push - usually the one at 9:30 a.m.

Smaller local ferries -- usual catamaran type -- access is done when ferry height levels out by weight of passengers. If there is a lip, they have metal ramps to assist.

Vicki,

Thanks for the response, however I'm not clear what you're saying.

Do you mean that the large ferry only runs at 9:30 a.m.? If the ramp is too steep, it will be unusable for us, and power wheelchairs cannot be pushed. (Technically they can, if the motors are disconnected from power, but that would make a steep ramp impossible anyway)

I don't understand what you're saying about the smaller ferries at all. :(

Would you say the larger or smaller ferries are better for a power wheelchair user?

Vicki,

Thanks for the response, however I'm not clear what you're saying.

Do you mean that the large ferry only runs at 9:30 a.m.? If the ramp is too steep, it will be unusable for us, and power wheelchairs cannot be pushed. (Technically they can, if the motors are disconnected from power, but that would make a steep ramp impossible anyway)

I don't understand what you're saying about the smaller ferries at all. :(

Would you say the larger or smaller ferries are better for a power wheelchair user?

RC had a 9:30 a.m. large ferry that they pushed in sales for people to go to Hamilton -- this ferry had a ramp to go up -- just a little steep, but crew would stand in back and make sure you got up it -- similar to the way they do when boarding the ramp to the ship. You stay on and enter inside (large area - don't need to be tied down). I'm sure this ferry goes at other times throughout the day -- just mentioned 9:30 a.m. as timing most people want. There were 2 docked ships at the Dockyard -- thus the reason for RC to be pushing sales for large ferry.

Local ferries -- smaller catamaran type -- meaning no ramp -- flat bottom. We took the 10:30 a.m. to St. George's. They hold less people and run less often -- perhaps once every 2 hours. Line up early if you want to go there. Big flat open front deck takes you right on and you wheel right inside and stay on your equipment.

It works like this: As the people get off, the ferry rises in the water -- when people get on it goes down (the flat surface) -- if there is a lip (division), they put down metal ramps to make sure that you go across smoothly -- easier. They are very used to doing this. It's very easy. You can buy one way tickets at the ticket counter or 2 day full usage also - get there early as line forms and know where you want to go. (it's a token).

My suggestion -- 10:30 a.m. ferry to St. George's 1st day (usually Noon DUNKING (scenario of what they did to gossipers and drunkards in those times) and then shopping -- take 2:30 or so back.

2nd day -- St. Thomas or tour

3rd day - Dockyard

ENJOY. v.

Archived