Buying Wine

smslms

I'm expanding on a thread that I've seen posted a few times recently. We'll be cruising in Asia during April/May, visiting the following ports:

Singapore, Bangkok, HCM City, Nha Trang, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Nagasaki, Dalian, Beijing(Tianjin), Qingdao and Sapporo.

We'll appreciate any advice anyone can pass along in terms of recommending convenient places (wine shops, grocery stores, duty free) to buy wine (preferably imported not local) while ashore in any of these ports. Not looking for anything spectacular, just something to sip on the balcony. Thanks for any help you can provide. Cheers, down the hatch!:D

We are on the Diamond Princess in May - and will be visiting some of these ports and will need to resupply the cabin!

Hi guys,

I think I saw your name on one of the roll calls. We're sailing Singapore to Anchorage. Are you on the same sailing or are you boarding in Beijing?

With all the constant posts on CC about wine I thought I'd get a few answers on this subject by now. I have a few ideas for some ports. Don't people know this is a matter of extreme importance.:D:D

Stu

My husband and I are on this cruise in May as well....and maybe you saw my post about buying wine at the port off of Beijing. I, as well, want to "restock" on wine in ports, so hopefully someone will let us know what's available! See you in less than two months (it became real when we got our visas!).

I'm expanding on a thread that I've seen posted a few times recently. We'll be cruising in Asia during April/May, visiting the following ports:

Singapore, Bangkok, HCM City, Nha Trang, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Nagasaki, Dalian, Beijing(Tianjin), Qingdao and Sapporo.

We'll appreciate any advice anyone can pass along in terms of recommending convenient places (wine shops, grocery stores, duty free) to buy wine (preferably imported not local) while ashore in any of these ports. Not looking for anything spectacular, just something to sip on the balcony. Thanks for any help you can provide. Cheers, down the hatch!:D

Hope this help,

www.wine-searcher.com, click find a store, stroll down to middle of the page and select the country, you will find all the wine shop.

Or you can google wine shop in Hong Kong since there is little or no tax for wine in HK.

Last year when I was in Hong Kong I find a great Supermarket inside IFC mall, tallest building in HK, ( you can't miss that when you ride the star ferry to Hong Kong island, not far from the pier.) where they had a good selection of wine. Good Luck.

Thanks H2Otstr.

Barbdea, we'll keep looking. I like to have a steady supply, kind of like an intravenous drip.:D:D:D

I have heard that WalMart in beijing may be ok. I am going to try the friendship store but not too sure about quality and price.

We will be in China for a month and Beijing for a week or so before the cruise so I will have time to do some checking.

I do know that Chinese wine leaves a lot to be desired, but the beer is pretty good.

I have heard that WalMart in beijing may be ok. I am going to try the friendship store but not too sure about quality and price.

We will be in China for a month and Beijing for a week or so before the cruise so I will have time to do some checking.

I do know that Chinese wine leaves a lot to be desired, but the beer is pretty good.

Hi guys,

We heard the same thing about the wine and beer. Let us know if you find anyplace with a decent stock. We're going to be touring the entire day we're there so not sure if we'll even have time to pick up anything, but we'll see what happens. Enjoy your time in China and I'm sure we'll see you at the M&G.

Stu

Asian countries are not into wine.

When we looked at the price of bottles of wine in Singapore,

we turned around and walked out.

It was much cheaper on the ship..

Kiwi, a bottle of Oyster Bay Sauv Blanc at @ $69 SD?? That's £30 GB in real money! Top line UK price is £10, but we've bought it as low as £5 on offer (Xmas etc.) Realise that's only one wine, but if its indicative of the general price structure, we're in trouble!

David

Archived