Port shopping

MusicalBear

Yes I have. There are several important factors that must be considered when buying expensive jewerly in a port. The point of purchase is very important. It must be a reputable dealer(I personally buy mostly at Cardow). I do not shop at the cruise ship recommended sites as I find their prices very inflated and quality iffy. Also you must know current market prices for what you are looking at i.e. that days value of 14k or 18k gold. If you are looking at gemstones you must know values for weight and clarity etc.

If you don't you are probably in for a ride. Great values do exist despite what some say. However if you are not prepared with knowledge of what you are looking at I recommend shopping at home.

How many of you have bought expensive jewelry in cruise ports? With all of the port shopping talks and recommended stores and all the expensive jewelry on the ships I've been wondering how many people are tempted?

Definitely me.....last cruise was a "yesterday, today, tomorrow" anniversary band at Diamonds International. Over the years, I've bought a number of rings in a number of different ports.

How many of you have bought expensive jewelry in cruise ports? With all of the port shopping talks and recommended stores and all the expensive jewelry on the ships I've been wondering how many people are tempted?

I don't know if it Kosher to identify who the Jeweler was So I won't but to say we spent a healthy amount of money. We were on the Freedom the Seas and we shopped in Cozemel

The port shopping talks are a joke. The vendors pay the cruise lines to advertise their stores.

If you are going to buy expensive items you need to know what you are looking at & it's real value. You also need to understand the seller's return policy & if you have a credit card with buy protection programs use it.

DH bought my e-ring from a vendor in St. Thomas. Friends had been going to him for 20+ years. I'd known him for 2. I also knew he had an arrangement with a brick & mortar store in NYC for emergencies.

As one who spent considerable time in the business, here's what I posted on that thread (as well as in other places):

"If there's one advantage of shopping in the Caribbean, it's the selection ... and as long as you understand that you're not buying high-end jewelry for pennies on the dollar, you should be OK. Do your homework before leaving on the cruise. While every stone is unique, here's a typicsl example: generally speaking, a "good" 1-carat round brilliant-cut diamond (i.e. VVS2-VS1 clarity, G-H color, Very Good cut quality, etc.) should run around $6000. Settings can be anywhere ... but let's figure about $1000 (14k gold with a few nice baguettes), for a total of $7000. If you see a significantly lower price tag (like $4000 or so), something is being misrepresented ... and there's little (or nothing) you can do once you've left the island. It happened to a neighbor, despite my warning ... ended up with a ring valued at about $3k, for which they paid almost $5k ... "appraised" at $8k. If any criteria other than the GIA (Gemological Institute of America) standards are being used (and demand the paperwork!) turn and run."

It really bothers me to see folks taken. Yes, there may be a deal to be had here and there ... but the overwhelming majority of Caribbean and Mexican cruisers overpay, or at least are deluded into believing that they got the bargain of a lifetime. Don't let anyone so much as hint that you're buying anything of investment quality ... it's much the same as the "art" sold on the ships. If you like it, and the price is comfortable for you, don't be concerned about whether it will fund your retirement ... it won't.

If you're looking for current prices and genuine value, my suggestion is http://www.bluenile.com. You can probably do as well there as you would in the Caribbean ... but the site is also an invaluable resource for inexperienced jewelry buyers.

If there's one word of caution I'd pass on, it's this ... do not (repeat, do not) confuse appraisal with a piece's true value. A $1000 ring appraised at $3000 is not (again, is not) an indication that you bought it for 1/3 of its value. Try and sell it for $3000, and you'll be in for a rude awakening ... you'd likely not recover what you originally paid. Be informed, be cautious ... and if there's the slightest bit of hesitation, walk away.

I know it's not as glamourous ... but a leading consumer organization concluded that the best value in diamonds can be found at (are you ready?) ... Sam's Club! Oh ... and ask yourself this question, which should further put matters in perspective ... Why is 99.99% of tanzanite jewelry sold in cruise ship ports??

Archived