Mexico: should we be concerned about cruising there?

signora

Lots of concerns about traveling in Mexico in the news: I've been considering the Spirit for 2012 but with two stops in Mexico I'm not sure. Anyone else's IMO's?

The two ports that the spirit go to are safe. Costa Maya and Cozumel have not seen the issues in other parts of Mexico. Have been to both places as a solo cruiser twice and never seen any issues. Most of the Mexican issues are in the northern areas.

Lots of concerns about traveling in Mexico in the news: I've been considering the Spirit for 2012 but with two stops in Mexico I'm not sure. Anyone else's IMO's?

I am a Mexico lover but will no longer go to the West coast (and Puerto Valllarta is my favorite place) I still go to the East coast, however (Cancun, Cozumel, and Costa Maya)

There have been some awful crimes against tourists in several Caribbean islands, so I'm careful where I go in the Caribbean as well---

Linda

You can listen to both sides of the discussion. But when the Sun sets, you have to decide how you'll feel on your cruise if things don't settle down by then. If you think you'll be nervous or uneasy, then pick another itinerary. It's not worth it to be worried on vacation.

I am a Mexico lover but will no longer go to the West coast (and Puerto Valllarta is my favorite place) I still go to the East coast, however (Cancun, Cozumel, and Costa Maya)

There have been some awful crimes against tourists in several Caribbean islands, so I'm careful where I go in the Caribbean as well---

Linda

I have heard that Jamaica can be dangerous. I would not book a cruise to Mexico, however, probably Cancun, Cozumel and Costa Maya are ok.

I would like to go to Tikal (great Mayan ruins), not sure what cruise line or port (probably Belize) is appropriate.

I have heard that Jamaica can be dangerous. I would not book a cruise to Mexico, however, probably Cancun, Cozumel and Costa Maya are ok.

I would like to go to Tikal (great Mayan ruins), not sure what cruise line or port (probably Belize) is appropriate.

The best thing to do these days is to google "crimes against tourists" in any location you're concerned about. Also, read CC and tripadvisor postings. That's how I found out about the girl shot to death in crossfire on a ship's excursion in St Thomas.

Linda

The taxi she was on was on their way to a dicier side of town by Coki Beach: I've been on St. Thomas since, twice, and felt perfectly safe going to a hotel beach in a different part of town. Politically, however, I've heard of instability in Mexico. Guess I better get back to reading the New York Times!

unless things continue to go down hill you will have no problems with Costa Maya and Cozumel. they seem to be as safe as most places in our own country. We never felt uncomfortable a few weeks ago.

Nita

I have always said that I would never go to Mexico.

Never say never....

My DH and I were in Cozumel about 3 weeks ago and he couldn't make the shore excursion. I went without him on the excursion (booked through the ship) and I never felt the least bit uncomfortable at any of the stops the bus made. As a matter of fact I would do it again, at least in Cozumel, without hesitation.

I have always said that I would never go to Mexico.

Never say never....

My DH and I were in Cozumel about 3 weeks ago and he couldn't make the shore excursion. I went without him on the excursion (booked through the ship) and I never felt the least bit uncomfortable at any of the stops the bus made. As a matter of fact I would do it again' date=' at least in Cozumel, without hesitation.[/color']

[/quote

It's a lovely little town; I've been there more often than any other port in all my cruises. And 2 more visits coming up on my b2b Radiance in 3 1/2 weeks. What did you see on your bus excursion?

Not a problem on the Spirit run. The main trouble in Mexico is along and near the Mexico/US border. Juarez is a total no go zone. Go on and enjoy the wonderful ports in Mexico. There are lots more important things to worry about, like which fru fru drink to get next. :D

Archived