Will I need to turn off "internet" on my Smartphone?

wrxrob

I was thinking more about turning it on in port to access the 3G there and then accidentally being charged some outlandish fee, either from the ship or from some provider.

Forgive my ignorance on how these things work, but do you get billed for your Kindle 3G now? If not, I don't see any way to get billed if it picks up a signal elsewhere.

Smartphones like the iPhone and others have "airplane" mode. What this does is quite simple: it disables all the radio components that send and receive data. This covers both WiFi and 3G cellular service.

I have an iPhone 4. I set it to airplane mode and powered it off. When I restarted it, airplane mode was still on. I don't know if all phones work the same way - test it and see.

Kindles have a setting to turn off wireless services. The Nook's equivalent is called airplane mode, just like your phone.

On my previous cruise, one of the first things we did was lock our smartphones in the safe. It's true that I felt genuinely naked for a day or so. I'm rather internet-addicted, so it was hard to break the urge to immediately Google something I didn't know. But once I did... I felt so... free! :D

I will be in the middle of the Pacific on my best friend's birthday. I will probably buy a few minutes of internet service just to pop online and send him a birthday message. But that is IT. No cellphones!

-Dito

Disconnected

I have not had my Nook Color at sea yet, but knowing that to use shipboard internet service you must have an account and log in, If your WiFi is turned on, it will attempt to connect but will not be able to.

My suggestion and what I will do, is simply turn off WiFi to be safe.

Cheers,

Ok, I would be called "old fashioned" by many folks...but we miss the days of cruising when there was no communications on-board ships. Imagine spending a week (or a lot longer) where nobody had a phone to their ear, you didn't have to listen to your neighbor shouting into their phones, games were always between more then one person (i.e.scrabble, cards, etc), and "text" meant either a book or the print in a book. We remember fondly running for phone booths in Europe so we could call our family back home. We once got a friend to join us on a European cruise who was a senor executive for a major company. His wife says it was the first time she had seen him relax in years because he did not have a phone (this was before cell phones) and he would not spent the $12 a minute to use ship to shore. A friend told me that "smart people" do not own "smart phones." Before I retired my boss tried to give me a Blackberry (state of the art in those days) and I refused...saying why would I want to be in touch outside of working hours. The reality was that just about any work-related issue could wait until working hours. I know...times have changed and now employers want to own you 24/7. What a bummer.

Hank

what about texting?? Is that considered data and has the charges that go along with data??

Text is not Data

Every phone is different and I would recommend calling your carrier as we did to find out what exactly to do.

I still wanted to have my phone available for emergencies etc without accruing data charges and the TMOBILE rep walked me through the steps to turn off data in various areas of my phone while maintaining calling and texting capabilities.

We were able to set it up where we had answering service turned off (very important as you can be charged in various ways even if you dont answer a call and it goes to answering service) and all data turned off but could use the phone for calls at the rates the carrier/ship charged for differant areas only if we actually made or answered a call.

We have unlimited text on our tmobile plan so incoming texts were free and outgoing texts were .35 cents regardless of where we were

I actually work in the Verizon CSR call center, and I will tell you right now, honestly, call your carrier and have them suspend ALL internet, texting and picture mails add ons. We can post date a service change, which means we can be told weeks in advance you want your extra data services put on suspension from xx date to xx date. Then,we set up a case that pops up as an alarm, daily, to inform us who we need to call and when, generally, and I have done it before, we will post date a change, call the customer to make sure they still want to suspend all addons, and then we set up a case to call them back on the day and time they tell us too, to get permission to turn the services back on. Not only will this protect you from getting roaming data charges, but you will get a pro-rated amount on your bill, generally giving you a discount. If you receive a call, text, any form of application update, picture mail, or email, you WILL be charged a per minute, or per megabyte usage fee. Most range from .69-3.99 I know with verizon, some phones to be used internationally also require an international data package, which range from $5-$25 depending on the plan you have and if it is a business account.

Most of Puerto Rico is included in the Nationwide coverage areas. If you roam out of the Nationwide coverage area, you will be charged a per minute rate. For instance, if you look at the top of your phone it will tell you if it is roaming, If it has a little 3g and the arrows are moving, then data is being sent either to or from your phone. There are also setups on all phones that will show a pop up when you press send if you are roaming and they will ask if you are sure you want to make the call.

Also, the airplane mode, is NOT always a smart idea, some phones will automatically pull themselves out of it, and then if someone sends you anything you get the bill for it. It has happened to many people I get calls from DAILY! I would call your carrier and ask them the specific per minute rates, and per megabyte rates you will be charged in whatever ports you are going into.

If you have Verizon, go to this link, and you can look at the exact same thing we pull up on our computers, It has pricing and loads of info:

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/rates_coverage.html

If you have any questions feel free to ask me! I deal with this stuff everyday! and we do see people with anywhere from $500-10,000 in extra DATA charges, not even including normal charges, so pleaseeee be careful.

As far as the kindles and that like, if you have an Ipad with verizon the above also applies to you. I would contact whoever you get the internet you are using on it from.

Hope I could help!

iPhone; how to disable DATA roaming, while still retaining phone/text functionality

Settings;

General;

Network;

Data Roaming: OFF

...... and also turn OFF the cellular data. The smartphones have loads of apps running in the background and will be downloading upgrades without your knowledge.

We have the IPHone, the IPad, the ITouch and we turn off all data / roaming etc when tarveling. We leave the IPhone switched ON so we have the time and family can contact us in an emergency. If 'out of range' at least it (the SMS) sits there till we get back into range.

My husband was in the US for 10 days last year, turned OFF the data roaming, but forgot the cellular data and was hit with a $700.00 account on his return home!! He also thought he was using the 'free' WiFi while sitting in the hotel lobby .... far from it. RECHECK wherever you are, just in case!

Have also heard of $20,000 bills (seriously) from people that have traveled 3 mths or more and didn't turn off the roaming.

We have AT&T_Mexico on the iPhone so if we leave the phone in airplane mode/turned off until we get to Cozumel we should be okay, right?

You should be okay, I did go to AT&T's website and took a quick look at the coverage indicator and could not find any coverage in Mexico, however you may be "grandfathered" into that plan, which means you got it a few years ago, it isnt offered anymore but you haven't changed your plan.

Here is the link I found that shows the rates AT&T charges for international usage:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp

I would call AT&T and speak with a CSR just to double check and make sure you can use your phone in Mexico with no added charges.

We have AT&T_Mexico on the iPhone so if we leave the phone in airplane mode/turned off until we get to Cozumel we should be okay, right?

You should be okay, I did go to AT&T's website and took a quick look at the coverage indicator and could not find any coverage in Mexico, however you may be "grandfathered" into that plan, which means you got it a few years ago, it isnt offered anymore but you haven't changed your plan.

Here is the link I found that shows the rates AT&T charges for international usage:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/international-roaming.jsp

I would call AT&T and speak with a CSR just to double check and make sure you can use your phone in Mexico with no added charges.

Thanks for the response and the link. We added the Mexico feature a few years ago when we flew to Cancun. While there, we used the phone quite a bit and never got charged any outrageous fees. However, I will call AT&T just to make sure.

Ok, I just checked the AT&T website and the Mexico option is still available for $4.99 per month and .59 per minute while roaming in Mexico.

Data Roaming: OFF
...... and also turn OFF the cellular data. The smartphones have loads of apps running in the background and will be downloading upgrades without your knowledge.

That's exactly what DATA ROAMING: OFF does. It turns off cellular data when not in your home carrier's reception area. It's a simple way of ensuring you don't break the bank, and not having to flip your phone back and forth all the time.

I cross the border at least every other week; and it does exactly what I've described.

I have an sprint evo android phone (similar to iPhone) that likes to pull automatic software updates to its various apps. My question is if there is a cell phone signal on the ship (and in port) should I consider turning off the "internet" connection on my phone, to avoid automatic ridiculous roaming data charges?

YES ! Also keep the phone on airplane mode.

OK I have AT&T 3G Iphone. If I put it on Airplane mode and want to use one of my Apps for (white noise or a fan noise to drown out the outside noises of the cabin or my husband's snoring) am I OK.

If they don't allow my fan on board then I plan my phone to be the backup noise for the white noise.

I just checked the phone and put it on airplane mode, turned it off and then turned it back on and it was still in airplane mode.

The apps was free and already downloaded so can I still use it for just that apps but not playing games.

Please advise don't want hugh bill.....:eek::eek::eek:

I have an Iphone. Have used it several times in St. Thomas and Puerto Rico, both internet and calling, with no additional charge. We have ATT (formerly Cingular). All other times, I place on airplane mode and turn off the phone completely once on the ship.

AT&T has always provided included charges for US designated territories like USVI (St. Thomas, St. John, St.Croix ) and Puerto Rico) I've never paid a dime for calling or receiving calls from these ports!

My wife and I got our new IPads last night and only purchased the WiFi versions. We intend to Skype or FaceTime while on our river cruise next month. WiFi is included in our river cruise so we don't believe we will incur any costs as long as we go Skype to Skype or FaceTime to FaceTime. Is this a correct assumption?

I actually work in the Verizon CSR call center, and I will tell you right now, honestly, call your carrier and have them suspend ALL internet, texting and picture mails add ons. We can post date a service change, which means we can be told weeks in advance you want your extra data services put on suspension from xx date to xx date. Then,we set up a case that pops up as an alarm, daily, to inform us who we need to call and when, generally, and I have done it before, we will post date a change, call the customer to make sure they still want to suspend all addons, and then we set up a case to call them back on the day and time they tell us too, to get permission to turn the services back on. Not only will this protect you from getting roaming data charges, but you will get a pro-rated amount on your bill, generally giving you a discount. If you receive a call, text, any form of application update, picture mail, or email, you WILL be charged a per minute, or per megabyte usage fee. Most range from .69-3.99 I know with verizon, some phones to be used internationally also require an international data package, which range from $5-$25 depending on the plan you have and if it is a business account.

Most of Puerto Rico is included in the Nationwide coverage areas. If you roam out of the Nationwide coverage area, you will be charged a per minute rate. For instance, if you look at the top of your phone it will tell you if it is roaming, If it has a little 3g and the arrows are moving, then data is being sent either to or from your phone. There are also setups on all phones that will show a pop up when you press send if you are roaming and they will ask if you are sure you want to make the call.

Also, the airplane mode, is NOT always a smart idea, some phones will automatically pull themselves out of it, and then if someone sends you anything you get the bill for it. It has happened to many people I get calls from DAILY! I would call your carrier and ask them the specific per minute rates, and per megabyte rates you will be charged in whatever ports you are going into.

If you have Verizon, go to this link, and you can look at the exact same thing we pull up on our computers, It has pricing and loads of info:

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/rates_coverage.html

If you have any questions feel free to ask me! I deal with this stuff everyday! and we do see people with anywhere from $500-10,000 in extra DATA charges, not even including normal charges, so pleaseeee be careful.

As far as the kindles and that like, if you have an Ipad with verizon the above also applies to you. I would contact whoever you get the internet you are using on it from.

Hope I could help!

I called AT&T yesterday and added the cruise package- 15 minutes talk and 15 texts. I also added the Mexico calling at $.59 / minute. I plan to turn off data but did not want to be totally disconnected.

They will prorate the plans so I will call and cancel when we get back.

Archived