rum point

beach lover 2001

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if Rum Point had a lot of damage from Hurricane Ivan..if it is still damaged.

How much is the ferry if leaving from the Hyatt?

Ferry was still not running when I was there last month, or at least that's what one of the Red Sail operations told me. Not sure when it might start, but I would have thought by then.

Ferry was still not running when I was there last month, or at least that's what one of the Red Sail operations told me. Not sure when it might start, but I would have thought by then.

I just contacted someone at the Hyatt who told me that the ferry still isn't running. She said there are tour operators when you get off the ship who have buses and taxi's going there but I wonder how much $$$ and how long it would take to get there. It's not like we have that much time on the island and I didn't really plan on booking an excursion in GC. Any ideas or info on getting to Rum Point?

We rented a car from Andy's; we called them when we got to the pier and they picked us up. It was one of our best days! We drove around the island (LOTS of hurricane Ivan damage) and spent the day at Rum Point. No charge for chairs, but they do ask that you do not bring outside food. They have jet skis for rent as well as floats and a water tricycle. You can actually see the cruise ships over the horizon. We had to return the car to the airport and be driven back to port. Our trip back to the Miracle was quite frightening! The water at the pier had kicked up and huge waves were crashing over the bulkheads. We were all late getting back on board, but Carnival had their people off the ship making sure we all got back OK. If you want to get away from the crowds and see some of the island I would highly recommend you see Rum Point.

Wow that would scare the day lights out of me! :eek:

I am a little skeptical about renting a car since they drive on the opposite side of the road...that and not having a clue where to go. But I'll take the details since I am really interested in going to Rum Point. What are the rates to rent a car? Was the beach and airport easy to find? How much traveling time? We are only there for a short while so time plays a factor.

Rum Point was easy to find. There seems to be one main road that goes around the island. There are maps online that you can print. We rented a van since we had 7 people in our group. I think it was $85 for the day, far below what we would have spent on excursions. Andy's picked us up and drove us to the airport and it was easy to find our way out.If you cut across the island it is about 30 -35 minutes to Rum Point. My husband drove and it was only difficult the time times he came to a "round about", but he kept repeating "left, left, left" to remind himself to stay on that side of the road! It really depends on what you are looking to do on your time on the island. We wanted to see more than the port and the pier, and after chatting on this site and others we decided Rum Point was a perfect spot for us. I am gathering that our tendering experience wasn't too unusual and that there are days no one gets to get off the ship due to the rough water.

I am going to keep Andy's in mind because I really would love to go to Rum Point. I just spoke to someone from Cayman Tourisim and again someone from the Hyatt. The ferry isn't running as of today but they are hoping that it will be running by the end of the month or next month...I am hoping!!! If not I am going to consider renting the van. As long as someone else takes the wheel then that is fine with me. Did you have to catch a cab from the airport?

7 mile beach is a long strip of beach lined mostly with hotels. It's a pretty typical "coast" beach with strip malls and places to eat very near by. However Rum Point is, well, a point. It is a slightly wooded (palms) area with picnic tables, a little shop and a small snack bar. The actual beach is fairly small compared to 7-mile and curves around the point but it's a lot more secluded and much more "Cayman" to me than 7-mile. Rum Point is very relaxing and cozy and 7-mile is a great beach, but really just a big beach. If you are looking for an adventure and to see something new, try Rum Point, but if you want to lay in the sun and play in the waves, 7-mile is your best bet. And if you want, do both! Grand Cayman isn't that Grand! It won't take you more than 30 minutes to get from one place to another.

I would imagine you could do both. I don't know how long your stay in port will be. You might be better off starting at Rum Point and then heading to 7 mile. That way you end up closer to the boat and won't worry as much about getting there in time if you loose track of time on the beach.

I would imagine you could do both. I don't know how long your stay in port will be. You might be better off starting at Rum Point and then heading to 7 mile. That way you end up closer to the boat and won't worry as much about getting there in time if you loose track of time on the beach.

I will be in GC from 9 am - 5:30. Does GC follow DST?

Grand Cayman is in the EST time zone so during standard time (from the last Sunday of October until the first Sunday of April) the time will be the same as on the ship m(if you are leaving from Florida). However, during daylight savings time, Grand Cayman will be one hour behind Florida because Grand Cayman doesn't observe daylight savings time.

It sounds like you will have plenty of time to visit Rum Point for a bit and then go to 7 mile beach. And if you get bored or sun burned, there are plenty of other things to do. You can go soo the turtle farm, blow holes, hell, or enjoy some shopping. The island specializes in Black Coral jewelry and you can find it a bit cheaper in the jewelry stores along 7 mile beach than you can in downtown Georgetown. This goes for most merchandise. It's a bit more economical to shop around in the strip malls along 7 mile beach than to hit the cruise dock shops.

Archived