passport expiration question

hlb76

Hi gang.....

First off my whole family has passports and use them for all of our travel. Well it's been 5 years since we got them this Nov. So sadly the kids passports are expiring. We are looking at a cruise in Oct. Can I still use the kids passports?

I don't think anyone has really looked at them that closely at the port. Really they are still valid but I read somewhere ( so could be false) that you can not travel on them w/in 6 months os exp. date.

Hey Heather-- I does seem a little silly not to be able to use a passport within 6 mos of expiration.....I would probably bring their birth certs with you anyway. My long time friend has been cruising for the past 5 yrs with her birth cert and drivers license.....

Since you say you use your passports often I'm thinking it's likely you'll be renewing them anyway so why don't you renew them before this cruise just to be safe.

Many of the cruiselines say passports must be valid for 6 months beyond sailing. It would be a shame if an agent on your sailing decided to enforce that and you missed the ship. (Don't forget, you enter all your passport info online before the cruise so the powers that be know when they expire)

If you are US citizens going on a closed loop cruise you could get away with just the kid's certified birth certificates.

Thanks....

I'm sure we will get them renewed for sure. but I was hoping to save the cost for right now. I need to see how much it costs for that. I know it's not too much.

My biggest issue it's a huge pain for us to go down and get it done. Seeing we work all the time and kids have stuff always plus we live and the kids go to school about 30 mins away from where it can be done. YES all excuses I know!

We are doing closed loop so might just bring the BC if we dont get it done!

Don't know about a cruise but....

DD was going on a school trip and found out AT the airport that one gal's passport had less than the 6mos to expire. The gal had to go to the Federal Building and renew in person. She lost 2 days of a 2 week trip and had to fly by herself.

Since you are not going until October might as well renew them now.

If you do not get them renewed use the BCs to get on the ship but bring the Passports incase you need to fly home.

Hi gang.....

First off my whole family has passports and use them for all of our travel. Well it's been 5 years since we got them this Nov. So sadly the kids passports are expiring. We are looking at a cruise in Oct. Can I still use the kids passports?

I don't think anyone has really looked at them that closely at the port. Really they are still valid but I read somewhere ( so could be false) that you can not travel on them w/in 6 months os exp. date.

This is from the US State department FAQ (http://travel.state.gov/passport/faq/faq_1741.html):

Q:How long is a passport valid and when should I renew my passport?

a:If you were over age 16 when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 10 years.

If you were age 15 or younger when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 5 years.

The Issue Date of your passport can be found on the data page of your Passport Book or on the front of your Passport Card.

If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.

This is from Carnival's FAQ titled, What is the required travel documentation for all ports?

U.S. Citizens

Carnival
highly recommends
all guests travel with a passport (
valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel
). Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin & end in the same U.S. port, travelling with a passport enhances your disembarkation experience, as delays may be expected upon your return to the U.S. if you do not have one. Additionally, passports make it easier for you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons.

You may want to confirm this with Carnival. Hope that helps some,

Tim

Thanks....

I'm sure we will get them renewed for sure. but I was hoping to save the cost for right now. I need to see how much it costs for that. I know it's not too much.

My biggest issue it's a huge pain for us to go down and get it done. Seeing we work all the time and kids have stuff always plus we live and the kids go to school about 30 mins away from where it can be done. YES all excuses I know!

Since you are doing closed loop just take the kids bc and then you don't have to worry about it....just get it done say around Xmas when the kids are out of school

The expiration of the passport is on the date of expiration. It is valid for in the US up until that expiration. That said, some countries will not allow entry on a passport whose expiration is set within XX days of arrival. Typically on a closed loop cruise, you are never issued a visa and are considered a transient visitor. Take a look at the countries you will be visiting on the cruise, and make sure there are not any issues with nearly expiring passports.

Just to be on the safe side bring a copy of their certified birth certificates. The last thing you want is for someone at the checkin counter to give you grief over this because they don't understand the law.

For example - Israel has fairly strict entry requirements (from http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1064.html#entry_requirements) :

Entering Israel: A passport valid for six months from the date of entering Israel, an onward or return ticket, and proof of sufficient funds are required for entry. A no-charge, three-month visa may be issued upon arrival and may be renewed. Travelers carrying official or diplomatic U.S. passports must obtain visas from an Israeli embassy or consulate prior to arrival. Anyone who has been refused entry, experienced difficulties with his/her status during a previous visit, overstayed the authorized duration of a previous visit, or otherwise violated the terms of their admission to Israel should consult the Israeli Embassy or nearest Israeli Consulate before attempting to return. Anyone seeking returning resident status must obtain permission from Israeli authorities before traveling. The Government of Israel at times has declined to admit U.S. citizens wishing to visit, work, or travel to the West Bank or Gaza. Persons denied entry who seek immigration court hearings to contest such denials may be detained for prolonged periods while awaiting a hearing.

Whereas Mexico has lenient entry requirements:

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: For the latest entry requirements, visit the Embassy of Mexico’s website or contact the Embassy of Mexico at 1911 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20006, telephone (202) 736-1600, or any Mexican consulate in the United States.

Since March 1, 2010, all U.S. citizens – including children – have been required to present a valid passport or passport card for travel beyond the “border zone” into the interior of Mexico. The “border zone” is generally defined as an area within 20 to 30 kilometers of the border with the U.S., depending on the location. Regardless of the destination in Mexico; however, all U.S. citizens age 16 or older must present a valid U.S. passport book or passport card to re-enter the U.S. by land. A passport book is required to return to the United States via an international flight.

All U.S. citizens traveling outside of the United States by air, land or sea (except closed-loop cruises) are required to present a Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document such as a passport book or a passport card to return to the United States. Legal permanent residents in possession of their I-551 Permanent Resident card may board flights to the United States from Mexico. Travelers with passports that are found to be washed, mutilated or damaged may be refused entry to Mexico and returned to the United States. While passport cards and enhanced driver’s licenses are sufficient for re-entry into the United States by land or sea, they may not be accepted by the particular country you plan to visit; please be sure to check with your cruise line and countries of destination for any foreign entry requirements.

You mentioned having to go somewhere to do the renewal. My mom just renewed hers over the Christmas break and we had to do it by mail and sent it from the post office. They did not take it at the counter...filled out the paperwork, included the photo, put it in a trackable package and handed it over.

Not sure if the kids renewals are different...since both parents had to appear to get the first, original one, maybe renewals are done like adults. Then all you have to do it fill out the paperwork, get pictures over the weekend, and mail it out.

My kids' passports also expire this year. We are not cruising together until December so they have to be renewed prior to that trip. I will probably take care of it over the summer when things are not too hectic all around. Also, the expiration date does not shorten if you go in 6 months prior to expiration. They just extend it for another 5 years from original issue (I believe).

ETA: Okay just did a search and according to the internet, you can renew by mail ONLY if your passport was issued when you were 16 or older, so it would appear you are correct and minors have to appear yet again with their parents at the location and fill out all that annoying paperwork.

Unless you plan on leaving or losing the kids in one of the ports it won't be a problem. As described by others above, the 6 month rule is generally tied to the entry to another country and as passports aren't a requirement to enter the places the cruises visit when on a cruise, no problem. Coming back into the US, if you have a day left it's a valid passport.

Children have to apply in person. They change too much over time. They want you to bring the old passport and their new picture with the renewal forms. I am really fortunate because I never had to renew my daughters. She is nearly 23 and will get her own soon. The granddaughter will be another issue. She is nearly 4. I am lucky because there is a place close by where we can go. I would do it now if you can. Just easier to have them. I remember when they didn't even recommend you have them. My daughter and I went to check in and the lady was so impressed that we had passports because it made her job easier. Kind of funny now.

Candi

Since you say you use your passports often I'm thinking it's likely you'll be renewing them anyway so why don't you renew them before this cruise just to be safe.

Many of the cruiselines say passports must be valid for 6 months beyond sailing. It would be a shame if an agent on your sailing decided to enforce that and you missed the ship. (Don't forget, you enter all your passport info online before the cruise so the powers that be know when they expire)

If you are US citizens going on a closed loop cruise you could get away with just the kid's certified birth certificates.

Passports are not required on closed-loop cruises for adults or kids. (Those that begin and end in the same US port.) So an agent would not enforce the passport date because passports are not necessary.

Children have to apply in person. They change too much over time. They want you to bring the old passport and their new picture with the renewal forms. I am really fortunate because I never had to renew my daughters. She is nearly 23 and will get her own soon. The granddaughter will be another issue. She is nearly 4. I am lucky because there is a place close by where we can go. I would do it now if you can. Just easier to have them. I remember when they didn't even recommend you have them. My daughter and I went to check in and the lady was so impressed that we had passports because it made her job easier. Kind of funny now.

Candi

Not true. My son was 11 when he got his first passport. We renewed his passport by mail when he was 16.

Archived