Catamaran Sail and Snorkel - Carnival

RumpunchGirl

• 4 months later...

I'll reply just to get this back on the first page. I noticed you posted this on the CCL board as well but no one has responded. We're interested in this CCL tour as well because, though we often use independent operators for excursions, I think we want to stick with a ship-offered tour for the D.R.

On his Facebook page today, John Heald posted the top three shore excursions in La Romana - this one was not among them. The top three (and I assume these are all Carnival excursions):

• Either Santo Domingo tour, - dependent on how much she wants to see or do when she gets there. ( Santo Domingo Express or Santo Domingo with Lunch.)

• Altos de Chavon & Riverboat Cruise if they wish to see Altos de Chavon and the River

• Speed Boat to Saona Island or Bayahibe Beach Break if they like beaches

I really do hope we get SOMEONE to give us some feedback about the Catamaran Sail and Snorkel. :(

• 1 month later...

The impression I got from my PVP was that this is a port that Carnival has just recently started scheduling, so maybe it's going to take some time before folks come back and give us their reviews! I'm hoping that's the case anyway, because we're going there on the Valor in February!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't know about the cat/snorkel trip, but here are a few things I have found... worlds largest cigar factory is a 5 min ride from the port. Tabacalera de Garcia Cigar factory. You can schedule tours right thru them for $10 or $25 dollars, depending what you want to see. Bayahibe Beach is a public beach, where the cruise tour goes, but you can take a taxi for about $20RT p/p. There is a place there to rent boards and do stand up paddeling in the calm bay....sounds kind of interesting.

This has been a hard port to find info on. Good Luck!

• 2 months later...
Also looking at Catamaran Sail and Snorkel. Has anyone done it yet and if so... how was it?

DW and I did this in Nov. on the Miracle. The trip was good - they take you off of Catalina island and the snorkeling was good. The catamaran itself is just OK, a little old and weathered, not a newer one like the Golden Eagle or one of the Fury catamarans. Open bar on the way back. Crew was nice, but didn't get on the water.

One thing to watch - they will hand out two types of Dominican do-rags to passengers on the way back to protect you from the sun, they 5 minutes later ask your for $5 for each do-rag.

Have fun.

DW and I did this in Nov. on the Miracle. The trip was good - they take you off of Catalina island and the snorkeling was good. The catamaran itself is just OK, a little old and weathered, not a newer one like the Golden Eagle or one of the Fury catamarans. Open bar on the way back. Crew was nice, but didn't get on the water.

One thing to watch - they will hand out two types of Dominican do-rags to passengers on the way back to protect you from the sun, they 5 minutes later ask your for $5 for each do-rag.

Have fun.

What is a do-rag??

• 2 weeks later...
What is a do-rag??

A do-rag is a scarf or handkerchief that you put on your head and tie it down, usually in the back. It's a "rag" to put over your hair "do". ;)

Thanks to mystone99 for the feedback on the CCL catamaran excursion. We're still not sure if we want to do that (or anything) in the DR on our cruise but his info on that excursion helps. :)

Archived