Question about strollers onboard!

SandyCay

Hello! I am brand new to the board and to cruising! :)

I have a 2 year old daughter that will be coming so we will want to bring a stroller for the ports. We only have one of those full size strollers. Would it be a better idea to purchase an umbrella stroller or do you think the full size will be fine?

Thanks in advance for the help!

The umbrella stroller will be better for many reasons... :)

1) Weighs less.

2) Takes up less space in the cabin.

3) Takes up less space as you are walking.

4) Easier to manuver.

I'm sure there are more, but I would think it would be worth it to get an umbrella stroller. Maybe you have a friend or family member that has one you can borrow?

Thank so much everyone for your replies!

I will definitely be going with an umbrella stroller!

@April- This is a great idea! i don't know why I didn't even think to ask one of my friends to borrow theirs! I will do this for sure instead of spending 40 bucks on something I am probably only going to use for the cruise!

:)

Thank so much everyone for your replies!

I will definitely be going with an umbrella stroller!

@April- This is a great idea! i don't know why I didn't even think to ask one of my friends to borrow theirs! I will do this for sure instead of spending 40 bucks on something I am probably only going to use for the cruise!

:)

You may be surprised at how much you like it because it's soooo much easier to move around and takes less effort to set up and go. After my DS was about 2, I never used another big stroller again!

Try to get one where the seat back goes into a horizontal position - our daughter took all her naps in her stroller and it works great!

Another thing we got that we really loved - it was a UV shade cover for the stroller - for naptimes, she got her bottle, put the shade on and we went for a walk. Out like a light every day. Get one that's nice and dark - it keeps the stroller lovely and cool, but shuts out all the activity so sleep comes more easily.

Be very careful borrowing one. We had one for my 3 year old grandson. Just as we got to the airport, the thing just kind of started to fall apart. The wheel came off. I think you can get a relatively nice one pretty cheap. It's nice to have in your car anyway

After using an umbrella stroller, I didn't want to go back to the heavy duty one. Ours had a little shade thingy that we can flip over our kid when needed, and it also had a little basket on the bottom. For our daughter's first cruise (at 23 months), we took just the umbrella one.

UMBRELLA STROLLER all the way! I have a 20 month old- so I know all about the big one vs. the small one. Just make sure you have one that can lean back, has underneath space for bags, and a good shade. If it has all three components you'll never go back to a full sized one again! If/when we have another kid, I'm gonna get a snap-and-go for the car seat and then go straight to an umbrella stroller, skipping the bulky one all together!

Is to bring a baby carrier. I personally prefer travelling with my Ergo carrier than a stroller, as I hate umbrella strollers. They're fine when you're on nice smooth surfaces (like on ship), but in port they're just a pain. If I trusted the airlines (which I don't!!!) I would bring my BOB stroller, as it works well on any surface. I also prefer the Ergo when flying, but you don't say if you need to fly to your port.

The only difference between the Ergo and a stroller is that you can't feed the child (easily!) in the carrier. Otherwise they can sleep in it (I actually find it easier to transfer him to bed from the carrier than the stroller) and it is much smaller and easier to transport versus the stroller.

I am cruising with a 3 year old for the first time (my granddaughter). My kids were past this stage when they started cruising. I was all for the big, comfy stroller and my husband about fell over. He would prefer we not bring one at all, but when she gets tired, she wants me and I can't carry her on the long walks we'll be taking.

So, the umbrella stroller is the compromise. I honestly dislike them alot, but for the amount of time she'll be in it, she'll survive. I think the other is much more comfortable and easier for me to maneuver. Oh well, at least I won't have to carry her :rolleyes:

Archived