Canary island question??

AVAD

Has anyone ever rented a car in the Canary Islands (Lanzarote or Las Palmas) when in port for a day? We're considering it since the Islands are relatively small and there seems to be lots to see.

Thanks.

We have rented a car in Tenerife and it was a great decision. It allowed us to explore more of the island then the tours and we were able to avoid being on a large bus (we think large group tours are similar to cattle drives). If you do want to rent a car Google a company called Cicar which is a local Canary Islands company. We used them in Tenerife and were pleased with the service and car. Also keep in mind that most rental cars are manual transmissions.

Hank

Has anyone ever rented a car in the Canary Islands (Lanzarote or Las Palmas) when in port for a day? We're considering it since the Islands are relatively small and there seems to be lots to see.

Thanks.

Yes, I did in Las Palmas last year. The island is actually bigger than you'd expect, and roads are narrower than US equivilents. The recommendations;

get a smaller car than you might normally

rent from CICAR (large local agency with an office at the dock)

And lastly, remember unless otherwise specified it's a manual transmission (YAY - I wish USA/Canada was like this!)

Thanks so much--I think we'll try it! I totally agree about ship excursions--we avoid them at all costs!

I read that they drive on the right side of the road and hubby learned to drive on a straight stick (as we called them) although he may flood it a little at first.

I hope we don't get lost, but with an island fairly small, it should be OK.

Thanks again.

Archived