The usual litany of questions from a first timer

Trent0341

Hello all,

My wife and I are looking to take our first cruise in the beginning of March of 2012 on the Ruby Princess in the Caribbean. I've been reading this site for a few days so hopefully I can avoid asking some of the more common questions. Here are some of my questions, thanks in advance for the help!

1. I'm looking at either and owner sweet or a penthouse suite on Ruby Princess in the aft section. My wife is concerned about temperature and the wind in the mornings and evenings. Looking at average highs and lows for that time of year I don't see it being an issue. Will the wind make sitting on the balcony unpleasant?

2. How difficult or early will I need to book in order to be able to pick my room (OS A752, A753, or PS A750, A751) reserve a chefs table, and a behind the scenes tour? Any recommendations as far as the four rooms I listed?

3. I will be returning from a deployment around that time frame. If my deployment goes over will a refund of some sort be an issue?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. I apologize if I missed one of these being previously answered. Thanks, Dan

1. We rarely have any problem with the wind. The ship is going 15 or 20 mph, so this minimizes the wind.

2. Chef's Table and Ship tour can only be booked only.

3. Full refund until final payment. After that partial refund reducing to zero a few weeks before the cruise. Insurance would probably cover the non-refund amount.

Hello all,

My wife and I are looking to take our first cruise in the beginning of March of 2012 on the Ruby Princess in the Caribbean. I've been reading this site for a few days so hopefully I can avoid asking some of the more common questions. Here are some of my questions, thanks in advance for the help!

1. I'm looking at either and owner sweet or a penthouse suite on Ruby Princess in the aft section. My wife is concerned about temperature and the wind in the mornings and evenings. Looking at average highs and lows for that time of year I don't see it being an issue. Will the wind make sitting on the balcony unpleasant? If you book an aft cabin there is virtually no breeze. Side cabins get some wind movement but not too much as you have dividers between the balconies which help to minimise the amount.

2. How difficult or early will I need to book in order to be able to pick my room (OS A752, A753, or PS A750, A751) reserve a chefs table, and a behind the scenes tour? Any recommendations as far as the four rooms I listed? Personally, I would book as soon as possible as there are limited numbers of aft suites and penthouses so they get taken quickly.

3. I will be returning from a deployment around that time frame. If my deployment goes over will a refund of some sort be an issue? Sorry, I can't help you with this one but would recommend taking out travel insurance which will cover all unexpected problems.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. I apologize if I missed one of these being previously answered. Thanks, Dan

Dan, don't worry about asking questions. I have always found people to be very helpful on the site. Good luck with your choice and have a great trip.

1. We rarely have any problem with the wind. The ship is going 15 or 20 mph, so this minimizes the wind.

2. Chef's Table and Ship tour can only be booked only. - once onboard he meant

3. Full refund until final payment. After that partial refund reducing to zero a few weeks before the cruise. Insurance would probably cover the non-refund amount.

Have a great cruise, The Ruby is a wonderful ship & Thank you for your service;)

Have a great cruise, The Ruby is a wonderful ship & Thank you for your service;)

TLC is correct. The Chef's Table and Ultimate Ship Tour can only be booked online. I guess I can't type and watch a basketball game at the same time. :)

Definitely get "cancel for any reason" insurance. Princess will not move you to another sailing if it's after final payment.

You qualify for a military onboard credit (OBC) so definitely send in a request for that. It's worth the effort.

Thank you for your service.

Hello all,

1. I'm looking at either and owner sweet or a penthouse suite on Ruby Princess in the aft section. My wife is concerned about temperature and the wind in the mornings and evenings. Looking at average highs and lows for that time of year I don't see it being an issue. Will the wind make sitting on the balcony unpleasant?

2. How difficult or early will I need to book in order to be able to pick my room (OS A752, A753, or PS A750, A751) reserve a chefs table, and a behind the scenes tour? Any recommendations as far as the four rooms I listed?

3. I will be returning from a deployment around that time frame. If my deployment goes over will a refund of some sort be an issue?

1) Being in the aft part of the ship I really don't think wind should be a huge issue. Weather can vary from day to day. Yes, you can even get rain. It's the Caribbean; it's topical and can get hot and humid too.

2) If you want to specific suite # you should book as far out as possible as suites are fewer and in high demand. On board tours can be booked first thing you board the ship. I don't believe you can reserve them in advance.

3) A deposit is required to hold that cabin and that's fully refundable up to final payment. After final payment then cancellation penalties kick depending upon when you cancel. Just make sure you fully understand what those dates and amounts are. Insurance is always highly recommended, but will only cover medical or emergency reasons; not job or work related issues. However, in some policies you can also purchase an additional "cancel for any reason" or if you purchase the insurance through the cruise line they will issue you a credit for a future cruise for a certain percentage should have have to cancel for a non covered reason like work. Just make sure you read the policy and understand what it covers and doesn't.

TLC is correct. The Chef's Table and Ultimate Ship Tour can only be booked online. I guess I can't type and watch a basketball game at the same time. :)

That's "onboard."

In any event, try to book the UST as soon as you get onboard. You'll likely be in a lottery for the tickets- no guarantee that you'll be selected. :(

Why not join the roll call for your voyage? You will meet some of your fellow passengers in advance of your sailing and some of these folks are well travelled, especially on the Princess ships and can offer tons of useful hints and advice. Have a great cruise.

Jan

Trent, let me start by giving my sincere THANKS for your service...secondly, you will absolutely LOVE all of the suite bene's , especially just coming back from deployment! Which suite did you end up choosing, Os or PS??

Feel free to ask away on CC, thats what everyone is here for!

Archived