Guide book for inside passage -Alaska Cruise Handbook

steve4031

I am a rail fan, and with this information, this cruise will be a lot like a train ride. I definitely will be out and about at odd hours determining if we are "on schedule" and where are we right now. LOL.

But I will have a lot of fun and get my money's worth.

We used this for our May 2009 Alaska Cruise and just loved it. DH had a hard time adjusting his sleeping patterns so he was up extremely early each day tracking our progress with "his" map! We had our hand-held gps with us as well so that helped us know where we were on the map.

We are taking the same Inside Passage cruise this May and we already have the book out refreshing our fond memories of the last cruise. We highly recommend it to new cruisers as well as seasoned Alaska Cruisers!

I am a rail fan, and with this information, this cruise will be a lot like a train ride. I definitely will be out and about at odd hours determining if we are "on schedule" and where are we right now. LOL.

But I will have a lot of fun and get my money's worth.

I have an earlier edition of this book and it has been my favorite Alaska book. I read it before and during my 2008 cruise and am currently reading it again as I prepare for my cruise this summer. On our HAL ship you could go to your cabin TV or to a station onboard and find out the coordinates of where the ship currently was and then you could find your location on the map. My BIL and I spent a lot of time following our ship's progress on the map and then reading about the location we were at. I think people thought we were a bit crazy, but we loved following our progress along the inside passage.

For the person asking which book we are talking about, here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-Handbook-Mile-Mile/dp/0979491509/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299819875&sr=8-1

Another book BQ and others often recommend is Alaska by Cruiseship.

http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Cruise-Ship-Complete-Cruising/dp/0980957303/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1299820753&sr=1-1

I picked a copy last fall and have quite enjoyed it. It does contain a tremendous amount of information. Just aside, I note that Amazon sells a number of editions of the book...I could be wrong but I believe that the most current edition is 2008.

Ok Thanks I just ordered The Alaska Cruise Handbook by Joe Upton. I already have the Alaska by Cruise Ship, Alaska Cruises 2010 by Frommers and Alaska for Dummies so I think I'm pretty much covered now.:o

You are more than covered!!! :D

Archived