Can you walk into town from the port?

LVMullet

From Puerta Maya Pier, the taxi fare to the town is not that bad. I cant tell you what it cost me/us on several visits, but it was certainly not a bad deal. I would just suggest asking taxi driver for a cost before getting in the taxi. The distance is not that far, maybe two miles or so, three miles at the most, I would not try walking it, but that is just me. Im OLD!

We tried it in 2005 because DH was too cheap to take a taxi into town. I can't remember how far we got but we ended up turning around and just going back to port as we didn't know how much further it was going to be.

We went back in 2009, and took a taxi that time; we had probably made it about 3/5 of the way there, maybe took 20-25 mins to do that if I remember correctly?

DH and I have walked from downtown back to the International Pier. It is 2.5 miles (4KM) from the International Pier to Punta Langosta and just a little further from Puerta Maya. Our ship had a late departure and we decided to walk and stopped at every bar on the water side from downtown to the International pier. It was great. We walk several miles a day anyway so it was no big deal AND we are from Texas so we are used to the heat. If you are from the frozen tundra the heat might be a factor against walking it. I would definitely taxi into town so you have plenty of time to see shop and have lunch etc. However, the last time we were in Cozumel Ave. Rafael Melgar was under construction and the sidewalks appeared to be torn up, so I skip the walk until the construction is finished.

Just stayed at a hotel near the International Pier. My son and I walked into town for dinner several times and took a taxi back. If the weather is nice, it's a pleasant walk and takes about an hour. Taxi ride back was $7.

If you do the walk, consider stopping at Chedraui - sort of the Super Walmart of Cozumel - and check out the pastry section. Yummy goodies really cheap. When you see Chedraui, you'll be right on the southern edge of town. The week I was there, I believe all Royal Caribbean ships docked at the International Pier.

• 4 weeks later...

We walked last year from puerta maya to town, in July, it was not a good idea LOL even though it was cloudy and eventually rained we were all sweating bad, we ended up getting a taxi when we were done shopping, and there really is not anything exciting on walk.

Archived