Yet another reason to skip Mazatlan

markarm1

:DWe happen to like Mazatlan very much. You can go downtown and browse the huge market, go to the gold coast for fancy hotels and miles of beach, go to Stone Island for a great beach and Victor's cantina, and even find a store in the downtown area which sell only Guayabera shirts, from the cheap cotton ones to the very expensive. Every time we have been there the ship left long before dark, and no one experienced any problems with crime unless they paid far too much for something they didn't bargain for. It's just a great place to visit and a worse place for crime happens to be Los Angeles where we catch the ship.;)

We loved the Centro Historico of Mazatlan and was one of the main reasons we are taking another cruise back into this area, only to have this stop taken off our itinerary and an extra Cabo day substituted which we didn't want at all. I am so sorry for all the good folks in Mazatlan who offer so much to make this such a wonderful cruise ship stop.

You can walk to the Centro Historico from the ship or easily take a ferry to Stone Island for great food and a wonderful low key place to enjoy for the day. Pacifico beer does not taste better than it does where it is locally made.

Please Mexico, do what you can to make this great cruise port safe for return visits.

It's just a great place to visit and a worse place for crime happens to be Los Angeles where we catch the ship.;)

I've thought that such comparisons are irrelevant - unless you're talking about vacationing in the high-crime neighborhoods of cities such as Los Angeles. Which few or none of us are. A truly apples to oranges reference. But, since you've made it. I think it should be pointed out that the population of Mazatlan is about 440,000, and Los Angeles sits at about 4.1 million. There were more, or the same number, of murders in Mazatlan last year than there were in Los Angeles. Think of it: Los Angeles is almost 10X larger than Mazatlan and had a murder rate that is declining rapidly and is lower today than it was maybe a decade ago. What's happening in Mazatlan is that the violence is skyrocketing. And murders aren't the only scale to judge crime - there are many other types of crimes which impact visitors and residents alike. But Mexico lacks a statistical base for comparison purposes and maybe only 1 to 3 in 10 crimes are reported.

And murders aren't the only scale to judge crime - there are many other types of crimes which impact visitors and residents alike. But Mexico lacks a statistical base for comparison purposes and maybe only 1 to 3 in 10 crimes are reported.

Instead of vague conjectures and innuendos, please provide specific examples of crimes, from the 30 % reported, that have impacted visitors.

Without trying to dismiss the magnitude and tragedy of the murders or rather assassinations, I would like to point out that to my knowledge, except for one case, the murders have occurred at times, 5 AM, or in places where tourists are extremely unlikely to go. My statement is from reading Noroeste on a daily basis.

Please if I am wrong correct me using documented evidence not hearsay or innuendo.

Instead of vague conjectures and innuendos, please provide specific examples of crimes, from the 30 % reported, that have impacted visitors.

Without trying to dismiss the magnitude and tragedy of the murders or rather assassinations, I would like to point out that to my knowledge, except for one case, the murders have occurred at times, 5 AM, or in places where tourists are extremely unlikely to go. My statement is from reading Noroeste on a daily basis.

Please if I am wrong correct me using documented evidence not hearsay or innuendo.

There are no innuendos or hearsay. Lately, some of the murders in Mazatlan and Acapulco have been in plain daylight hours in the main streets of the cities mentioned.

What really ticks me off right now is that these dill-weeds are going after innocent bystanders. I mean is it really necessary to shoot a 2 year old at almost point blank while ridding in a vehicle. I would love to post a link to "document the evidence" but the pictures are too graphic. If you must see it, I invite you to do a Google search.

They are even going after Priests for speaking against the violence.

May culprits rot in hell.

Archived