PA II--Ushuaia to BA charter

DPWnRBW

I'm getting ready to book our air for next year's cruise to Antarctica. Could someone tell me if the charter from Ushuaia returns to BA in time to make a 9:30 PM flight out of the international airport?

Thanks.

When we did that trip January 2010, our flight back to the US left BA about 9PM, and we had plenty of time to make it. 9:30PM should be fine.

By the way, it's a fantastic trip. You will not be disappointed at all. In fact, I'm already looking forward to booking it again within the next 5 years. The scenery and wildlife are stunning.

I'm getting ready to book our air for next year's cruise to Antarctica. Could someone tell me if the charter from Ushuaia returns to BA in time to make a 9:30 PM flight out of the international airport?

Thanks.

Yeah, I think we arrived back in BA around 5PM. That seems like a ton of time, but it really isn't. At least for us, the charter arrived at the DOMESTIC airport and our flight left from (obviously) the INTERNATIONAL airport. Plus, we had to wait in the domestic terminal for a good 45 minutes before we could claim our luggage.

SS transferred us between the airports, but it was at least an hour's bus ride in rush-hour traffic. Then there are multiple lines at the international airport for check-in, customs, passport control... I would bet we got to our gate with not more than an hour to spare before boarding began - and our flight was at 10:30 PM.

If your charter arrives at the international airport, you're golden. Some do, some don't. The specifics don't arrive until your final cruise documents, though; I don't know of a way to find our earlier. Ours left from the international airport, but flew back to the domestic airport.

So you should be OK, as long as things work relatively smoothly. Have your TA check with SS to see if they think the connection time is OK. @Pke-atlanta: agree 100% - what a trip!

We were on the December 19th exploration. Plane late taking off from Ushuaia, left around three o'clock. Landed in BA (local terminal)about six o'clock. It was an hour before we finally got our baggage. The luggage area was chaotic. Getting a taxi was a problem. Back to the hotel about eight. Stay over night, relax, have a great dinner and some Malbec.

We were on the December 19th exploration. Plane late taking off from Ushuaia, left around three o'clock. Landed in BA (local terminal)about six o'clock. It was an hour before we finally got our baggage. The luggage area was chaotic. Getting a taxi was a problem. Back to the hotel about eight. Stay over night, relax, have a great dinner and some Malbec.

I like the way you think!

We felt comfortable with leaving that night since we were using SS air package, so it would have been their problem if we had missed the flight. But your idea has definite merit! :D

Folks, thanks for the advice. Looks like a toss up. We are using Delta Skymiles for our air and Delta has been playing games with the mileage requirements. We are planning to spend a couple days in BA prior to the cruise and would like to spend one day in BA post-cruise. I'll know on March 17 if we have enough miles to make it happen. That's the first day we can book the return leg for Feb. 10, 2012.

We used Delta miles also. Our configuration had us staying three days on each end. Loved it. Stayed in Recoleta and walked the city. Found great restaurants. You will find that due to the hectic schedule for landings in Antarctica, you may be a bit sleep deprived upon debarking the ship. We found the extra days at the end (in BA)

refreshing. Arrived home rested and ready to get back to the "real" world.

Well, it all worked out. We had enough miles for two business class tickets arriving in BA 3 days prior to departure and spending an additional day in BA post-cruise. Thanks for all the helpful input.

Well, it all worked out. We had enough miles for two business class tickets arriving in BA 3 days prior to departure and spending an additional day in BA post-cruise. Thanks for all the helpful input.

That's a great way to do it. Enjoy Antarctica; it's a wonderful trip!

Archived