Hilton Rose Hall and other day resorts

MillbrookMom

For those stopping at Falmouth, who has been to any of these? Is there one in particular you'd recommend? and roughly how long is the transfer/cab ride from the port to the resort?

Thanks

We booked a day at the Hilton Rose Hall next week through jamaicaforaday.com. I'll post a review here when we return.

We are leaving on the Oasis Saturday (3/19). I'm new to this site and read several posts which helped me decide to book a day pass to Hilton Rose Hall. At first considered not even leaving ship b/c of the safety concerns but I feel comfortable with going to an AI. I called resort today and was told they were booked and were not issuing any more day passes. However called jamaicaforaday. com and they assured me they had passes for next week. It was $90/adult and $70/child for the full day pass including transportation. ($75 and $55 if you don't book transfers). Day pass includes private beach access, beach chairs & towels, waterpark (lazy river & waterslide), non-motor water sports, unlimited beverages and house brand drinks and unlimited lunch and snacks. I was told by the gentleman at JFAD that it was a 30 min ride from Falmouth to the Hotel. I asked if it would be a private transfer or a group. He said depending on how many were going, likely a group transfer in a van. (Usually I prefer private transfers but here I think I prefer a larger group...safety in numbers).

We have two kids (6 and 9) and they are very excited about the waterpark. I'm hoping for a relaxing day with no drug pushers.

Hope this helps.

KB:)

We are leaving on the Oasis Saturday (3/19). I'm new to this site and read several posts which helped me decide to book a day pass to Hilton Rose Hall. At first considered not even leaving ship b/c of the safety concerns but I feel comfortable with going to an AI. I called resort today and was told they were booked and were not issuing any more day passes. However called jamaicaforaday. com and they assured me they had passes for next week. It was $90/adult and $70/child for the full day pass including transportation. ($75 and $55 if you don't book transfers). Day pass includes private beach access, beach chairs & towels, waterpark (lazy river & waterslide), non-motor water sports, unlimited beverages and house brand drinks and unlimited lunch and snacks. I was told by the gentleman at JFAD that it was a 30 min ride from Falmouth to the Hotel. I asked if it would be a private transfer or a group. He said depending on how many were going, likely a group transfer in a van. (Usually I prefer private transfers but here I think I prefer a larger group...safety in numbers).

We have two kids (6 and 9) and they are very excited about the waterpark. I'm hoping for a relaxing day with no drug pushers.

Hope this helps.

KB:)

I am also looking fwd to your review of the Hilton Rose Hall day pass, the transportation, the food & drink, etc. cruisedivanj

We're back from our trip on the Navigator last week, and I wanted to share a review of our stop in Falmouth and our excursion to the Hilton Rose Hall Resort and Spa, booked through jamaicaforaday.com. Here's the short version: we loved it! All the arrangements were perfect, and we had a spectacular day. Now for the particulars.

First off, the weather was perfect. Sunny skies, about 80, not too humid, nice breeze. The port of Falmouth obviously is still a work in progress, but it will be beautiful when they get it completed (supposedly in June). The buildings are very pretty, and it looks like there will be many nice amenities. Everyone we encountered in Falmouth was extremely friendly and seemed genuinely pleased to have us there. As things stand now there's kind of a "flea market" atmosphere with food vendors, craft merchants, etc.

There was a short walk through the port to the car park, where the excursion buses were parked. Things were a little disorganized, but the workers there helped us find our bus in short order. We had seven people in our group, and there were four others on the bus with us. Our driver, Keith, was very friendly and told us lots of interesting details about the local area during the 20-minute ride to the Hilton. Check-in at the hotel was very smooth.

We greatly enjoyed our time at the hotel. In the morning we found chairs on the beach and just relaxed. The beach is beautiful, with plenty of beach chairs for lounging. They have kayaks, small sailboats (Hobies), and windsurfers, which are all free. The teens with us went on a snorkeling trip by boat, which cost $35 per person and lasted about an hour and a half. There is a bar close to the beach that will provide you with as many tropical cocktails as you want.

There are several restaurants at the hotel. We at the the Seaside Grill, which is next to the pool area. The food was great (I got my jerk chicken fix), and the service was fine.

In the afternoon we checked out the water park. The Lazy River was a blast! I could have floated around all day (with stops at the swim-up bar, of course).

We were sad to leave, but the bus picked us up right on time and had us back to Falmouth with plenty of time to do a little shopping. We could not have enjoyed our time at the Hilton more. We were a little hesitant to book an excursion independent of the cruise line, but we were very impressed with the transfer arrangements and the hotel itself.

I would be glad to answer any questions about this excursion if you want more information.

Here are a few pictures to give you an idea what to expect.

New building at the port in Falmouth:

IMG_0327.JPG

The beach at the Hilton:

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

The Hilton pool:

IMG_0366.JPG

More construction at Falmouth:

IMG_0400.JPG

We're back from our trip on the Navigator last week, and I wanted to share a review of our stop in Falmouth and our excursion to the Hilton Rose Hall Resort and Spa, booked through jamaicaforaday.com. Here's the short version: we loved it! All the arrangements were perfect, and we had a spectacular day. Now for the particulars.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking the time to comment on your time in Falmouth. We too have been considering the Hilton Rose Hall, but were nervous for the same reasons you were. I've been waiting for your return in hopes that you would post about your experience. I will definitely book it now!

thank you for posting on your excursion at the Hilton...would you mind telling me what time you docked in Falmouth and what time you were to meet with your transfer? (was this prearranged with JFAD) also what time was the ship departing and what time did the transfer pick you up to get back on time?? trying to figure out if we should prearrange the transfers or just grab a cab...thank you

First off, the weather was perfect. Sunny skies, about 80, not too humid, nice breeze. The port of Falmouth obviously is still a work in progress, but it will be beautiful when they get it completed (supposedly in June). The buildings are very pretty, and it looks like there will be many nice amenities. Everyone we encountered in Falmouth was extremely friendly and seemed genuinely pleased to have us there. As things stand now there's kind of a "flea market" atmosphere with food vendors, craft merchants, etc.

There was a short walk through the port to the car park, where the excursion buses were parked. Things were a little disorganized, but the workers there helped us find our bus in short order. We had seven people in our group, and there were four others on the bus with us. Our driver, Keith, was very friendly and told us lots of interesting details about the local area during the 20-minute ride to the Hilton. Check-in at the hotel was very smooth.

We greatly enjoyed our time at the hotel. In the morning we found chairs on the beach and just relaxed. The beach is beautiful, with plenty of beach chairs for lounging. They have kayaks, small sailboats (Hobies), and windsurfers, which are all free. The teens with us went on a snorkeling trip by boat, which cost $35 per person and lasted about an hour and a half. There is a bar close to the beach that will provide you with as many tropical cocktails as you want.

There are several restaurants at the hotel. We at the the Seaside Grill, which is next to the pool area. The food was great (I got my jerk chicken fix), and the service was fine.

In the afternoon we checked out the water park. The Lazy River was a blast! I could have floated around all day (with stops at the swim-up bar, of course).

We were sad to leave, but the bus picked us up right on time and had us back to Falmouth with plenty of time to do a little shopping. We could not have enjoyed our time at the Hilton more. We were a little hesitant to book an excursion independent of the cruise line, but we were very impressed with the transfer arrangements and the hotel itself.

I would be glad to answer any questions about this excursion if you want more information.

Here are a few pictures to give you an idea what to expect.

New building at the port in Falmouth:

IMG_0327.JPG

The beach at the Hilton:

IMG_0340.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

The Hilton pool:

IMG_0366.JPG

More construction at Falmouth:

IMG_0400.JPG

Thank you for the review. What time was the shuttle to and from resort? Thank you

After wayne87 posted about their experience at HRH, I went ahead and booked it for my family's April trip. Kim at resortsforaday has been incredibly helpful and quick with responses. She told me that you do not need to bring towels from the ship--they provide them for you. Also, it says all tropical drinks are included, but that includes beer! (DH not a frufru drink kind of guy)

She said the transfer (if you choose it) from the ship would be waiting as soon as you debark the ship. The driver from Jamaica Tours Limited will be holding a sign with "JamaicaForADay". Within 10 minutes they will transfer you to the resort. You check in at the desk to pay the remaining balance and then you are free to have fun. I am waiting on her response for pickup, but from reading the website, it sounds like 4:00 is the final pickup. Plenty of time to make it back for a 6:00 sailaway.

I will post once I confirm those times.

Just heard back from Kim. Here is her response regarding transportation:

"Yes, excellent question. We do not have a set transfer time. This is because the cruise ships depart at various time. Also, some guests like to enjoy a full day at the resort, others like to get back earlier.

Therefore, we give you (the guest) the opportunity to set you return time. You have two choices: to set up your return time with your Jamaica Tours Limited driver, or to set up your return time with the Jamaica Tours Limited representative at the hotel.

It is important that you know your all-aboard time- then simply arrange your return transfer time accordingly!

Hope that helps!!

Kim"

Also, she just sent this when I asked about the 4:00 end time.

"Most ships set sail early evening, so it would be unlikely that our guests would be able to stay much later than 4PM. The Resort Pass does not include dinner, so as long as you depart prior to dinner time, there would be no issues for you to stay a bit longer on property!"

I hope this helps others like me who have been researching and wondering what to do in Falmouth!

Thanks for the info Wayne! Many of us have been eagerly awaiting this info.

How long does it take to get to and from the Rose Hall Hilton? Do you recall if it took longer on the way back or if there was more traffic?

It took 20 or 25 minutes to get from Falmouth to the Hilton. I don't believe it took any longer to return. When the bus driver dropped us off at the hotel, we agreed on a time for him to pick us up, and he was there right on time.

Thank you for the review. What time was the shuttle to and from resort? Thank you

We got off the ship as soon as it docked. Once everyone in our party arrived at the bus, we left. Before the driver dropped us off, we agreed to have him return at 3:20 to pick us up, and he was very prompt.

Thank you Wayne! I have been a little hestitant to book anything for Falmouth but your pictures and review are very helpful! Do you have any pictures of the lazy river? Is there a water park, water slides or just a lazy river? (I love lazy rivers!) Also, did you get the taxi on your own or was it included in your price? I know they have it either way. I just want to do what is easiest/best for my family (which also includes safety!)

Thank you again!

Thank you Wayne! I have been a little hestitant to book anything for Falmouth but your pictures and review are very helpful! Do you have any pictures of the lazy river? Is there a water park, water slides or just a lazy river? (I love lazy rivers!) Also, did you get the taxi on your own or was it included in your price? I know they have it either way. I just want to do what is easiest/best for my family (which also includes safety!)

Thank you again!

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the lazy river, but it was a blast! In the water park area there are cascading waterfalls, a 280-foot thrill slide, lagoons, and three terraced pools with linking water slides, and a zero entry pool for children. They also have two swim-up bars.

Transportation by bus was included in the price. We felt very safe and secure the whole time. You catch the bus within the fenced area of the port, and access to the hotel is limited to guests. See www.jamaicaforaday.com for more information.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the lazy river, but it was a blast! In the water park area there are cascading waterfalls, a 280-foot thrill slide, lagoons, and three terraced pools with linking water slides, and a zero entry pool for children. They also have two swim-up bars.

Transportation by bus was included in the price. We felt very safe and secure the whole time. You catch the bus within the fenced area of the port, and access to the hotel is limited to guests. See www.jamaicaforaday.com for more information.

Again, thank you so much! This is all so very helpful. Appreciate you coming back and reporting about your day.

It took 20 or 25 minutes to get from Falmouth to the Hilton. I don't believe it took any longer to return. When the bus driver dropped us off at the hotel, we agreed on a time for him to pick us up, and he was there right on time.

This sounds great! How big was the bus? Did you have to wait for it to fill up with other passengers or was it just your party? We are a family of 5 so just wondering how that would work.

This sounds great! How big was the bus? Did you have to wait for it to fill up with other passengers or was it just your party? We are a family of 5 so just wondering how that would work.

It was a small bus -- 20 passengers or so. We had seven people in our party, and we had to wait a few minutes for the other party of four to arrive.

Hi....we are just back and I promised I would report upon returning!...we were part of the inagural sailing of the Oasis to the Falmouth port.....what a story indeed!...I have pics but if someone here could tell me how to post them (sorry, stupid for asking) I will.

We had a great time at the Hilton. For what its worth I am a hotel/resort junkie and we have been to many fine places all over the world. For Jamaica and the limited excursions that are close to port from Falmouth....this is a great choice. You will be safely transported and well fed and happy. Is the resort great or a great beach?....NO. But it is a safe hideout from the chaos at Falmouth currently. I think the crowds of locals with thin out as time goes on....but belive me...you would not want to venture out into the town right now to experience the local flavor. We did meet a few brave souls back onboard who attempted this and they were "manhandeled" and asked, " can we touch you?".....Heck, I dont care about that stuff at all...and it would be great for our 13 and 11 yo's to experience as they have in other countries. I am just telling reality beyond the iron gate. You asked...I will tell. I will show pics if you can tell me how to post them :)

More on the Hilton....quick ride 20-25 min...air conditioned small bus as someone else said. Great little history lesson of Jamaica from the driver along the way! Super sad to see some of the realities of one of the poorest countries in the world...I am not gonna beat around the bush here.

If you want to do another excursion with more "thrill" then find one sponsored by your ship. Otherwise this is a safe alternative with food and beverages galore! We docked at 10:30ish and they were a little disorganized at the port to find out bus...but we managed. Again, this will die down and should get much more streamlined as the chaos resides after many more sailings there. The check in was easy at the Hilton...paid cash for remainder of charges. Got wristbands and pool towel cards. It was not cheap! $305 total with transfers through the website for 2 adults/ 2 children. UGH! Not sure that was worth it but not a lot of other solid choices yet from Falmouth. Its all good now....it was an experience. The beach is crappy and waves too rough with seaweed and rocks to go out very far. Please read and see pix on Trip Advisor for this resort for many other confirmations of this. The truly great beaches of Jamaica are at Negril on the other side of the island that would take 2 plus hours to drive to. I knew that going into it so was not super disappointed...just prepare yourself. We live on the west coast so Hawaii is our standard comparison. Jamaica is NOT Hawaii.

The very much unfinished port on the transfer home was worth some brief shopping....just brief...and made some deals. It'll be MUCH better organized when the port is all put together, I am sure. Just go and have fun....go hungry (if that is even possible having been unloaded from a recent all gorge breakfast from a cruise ship) and want to swim in the pools mostly. Honestly if I were a guest at the Hilton I would be pissed that day passes were sold for cruise ship people as it was crowded at the pool and we never did get a lounge chair or be able to relax. Sorry to tell you the truth on that....maybe worse cause spring break? Not sure.

Hope this helps?

It was not cheap! $305 total with transfers through the website for 2 adults/ 2 children. UGH! Not sure that was worth it but not a lot of other solid choices yet from Falmouth. Its all good now....it was an experience. The beach is crappy and waves too rough with seaweed and rocks to go out very far. Please read and see pix on Trip Advisor for this resort for many other confirmations of this. The truly great beaches of Jamaica are at Negril on the other side of the island that would take 2 plus hours to drive to. I knew that going into it so was not super disappointed...just prepare yourself. We live on the west coast so Hawaii is our standard comparison. Jamaica is NOT Hawaii.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I wanted to clarify a couple of points. The Hilton excursion is quite a bit less expensive than they "official" RCI resort excursion, which goes to the Iberostar Hotel -- about $35 per adult less, if memory serves.

As for the beach, I was there two days after you. Your weather may have been different, but the surf was quite gentle on the day we were there. There was a narrow strip of rocks as you headed out into the water, but after that the sand was smooth and silky. No different than you encounter at many beaches, including Cozumel. I thought the water was quite clear, and we didn't notice an abundance of seaweed.

The beach is not huge, but it's certainly not "crappy." My pictures above speak for themselves.

Then again, we're just dumb hicks from Indiana, so what do we know about beaches? It sure beat being home in 30-degree weather with brown grass, bare trees and no ocean within 700 miles. It all depends on your perspective, I guess.

We had a great time at the Hilton. For what its worth I am a hotel/resort junkie and we have been to many fine places all over the world. For Jamaica and the limited excursions that are close to port from Falmouth....this is a great choice. You will be safely transported and well fed and happy. Is the resort great or a great beach?....NO. But it is a safe hideout from the chaos at Falmouth currently. ?

The check in was easy at the Hilton...paid cash for remainder of charges. Got wristbands and pool towel cards. It was not cheap! $305 total with transfers through the website for 2 adults/ 2 children. UGH! Not sure that was worth it but not a lot of other solid choices yet from Falmouth. Its all good now....it was an experience. The beach is crappy and waves too rough with seaweed and rocks to go out very far. Please read and see pix on Trip Advisor for this resort for many other confirmations of this.

Thank you for your thoughts. I'm not too concerned about the beach as my girls love pools (teenagers) and I think they would enjoy the lazy river. (I know I would!:)) And we'll have a full beach day at Labadee. The price is what is getting me too. $320 would be our cost and I'm the only one who would be drinking alcohol (and I'm a total lightweight! :p) We would probably stay there for about 4 hours. I just have to figure out if its worth it. I'll also be there during Easter week and it might be more crowded. In fact, I had to confirm with Kim from the JFAD website before placing an order online. She confirmed availability. I just haven't confirmed on my part yet. :confused::eek: This might just be a day to stay onboard.

Archived