Teak balconies, canvas loungers? wheres this so called Walmart experience:)

Blondie008

I really miss the nice teak wood decks too!

I first noticed the "switch over" on Splendor and was disappointed.

As man depletes the forests of larger trees,etc

Teak is becoming one expensive wood!

especially in longer strips like what's required for decking lengths...

so it's easy to see how new ships go with tacky plastic instead :cool:

I cruised on a lot of ships including Celebrity , NCL and RCL before trying Carnival and I was surprised at how good Carnival was. They really have cruising down pat . There are some Walmart people aboard but there are also a lot of just regular middle to upper class people enjoying a vacation.

It would be interesting to find some statistics showing average passenger income by cruise line. I wonder which cruise line would be lowest.

I really don't see what that has to do with anything :confused:

Are you saying that peoples income is directly related to their personality? Manners? Dress style? Consideration of others?

What exactly, apart from how much their job pays, would that information provide?

Are retirees less worthy or of a lower standard than high income earners? Or people who have lower paying careers? Or homemakers?

Since money certainly doesn't buy class I really can't see what would be garnered from such information

I'm not sure where you're going with this. I posted two sentences wondering which cruise line would be lowest. It appears you have somehow inferred something more than I intended and posted several questions that seem to speculate I have some hidden agenda.

What exactly are you trying to say?

As you can see in my signature I have sailed Royal Caribbean, Disney, Celebrity, Carnival and Norwegian. As far as I am concerned, a cruise is a cruise and it's what YOU make of it and really has nothing to do with the line/ship that you are on. Of course I would happily sail Disney exclusively if I could afford it because it was that amazing but I can't so I pick who I sail with based on the itinerary and schedule. I am just grateful that as a single parent, who makes WAY less than the $79k quoted in another post, I am able to cruise at all.

Happy Sailing!

Gina

I shop at Walmart all the time. I also shop at Target, Macy's, Kohl's, etc. I have only sailed on Carnival. I truly took it to mean that you felt everyone who sailed Carnival was inferior. I see people from all walks of life at all the stores I shop at just like I see people from all walks of life on my cruises. I am sure other cruise lines experience people from all walks of life also. I don't have to enlarge my font, I read your post just fine. Here is what you posted.

"If you shop at Walmart, you know the stores look nice enough... it is the people who inhabit them who give the place its reputation.

Same for the Walmart of the seas"

You made it sound as though people who sail on Carnival are inferior to other people who sail different lines. It sounded to me like you were saying that the Carnival ships are ok but the people who sail on them are not.

I agree with you. Very strong innuendos that seem to be dismissed or denied. Opinions are wanted and appreciated on all subjects especially when they are worded as not to insult or hurt the feelings of others.

We have sailed on Holland America, RC and Carnival and have met the most friendly people on Carnival.:D

I've cruised Carnival and Princess. Supposedly, the reputation of Princess is supposed to be "higher class or elite.".... I didn't think so. I did find that the pax seemed to be a bit older, dance club was empty every time I went there, didn't think the food was quite as good, and not as many activities as on Carnival. However, it was a nice ship, nice crew, but wasn't my cup of tea. I prefer the fun, party atmosphere of Carnival, but I also enjoy being able to find nice, quiet places to relax if I want to. I honestly don't think either one was more elite than the other, just different.

I take offense at this statement as I am sure other's do also. Are you saying that everyone who sails on Carnival is low class???????

I have to agree with you...I dont take offense to many things in Life however Im sorry but DH AND I are very classy people live comfortably and can afford other Cruise Lines...We chose Carnival for alot of different reasons...I really have to Add that our Destiny Cruise well the Element was certainly not WALMART by any stretch of the means...and there werent drunken people and what people seem to think is a Carnival Cruise...What else can I say

This Thread is just Really Awful at this point..We live in one of the Most Affluent Towns in South Florida and let me tell you NOT even the very rich all dress like they have it..nor do they carry themsevles like that and to see what Income Levels are oh Please...We know some very very wealthy people we live near and well they Cruise ONLY Carnival Our Destiny trip we met a family near where we live and trust me very well to do and the Nicest People they certainly werent Low Class!!!

It would be interesting to find some statistics showing average passenger income by cruise line. I wonder which cruise line would be lowest.

That might be interesting, but I'm not sure in terms of class (by "class" I mean behavior) what information would be gleaned from such statistics. Money doesn't always by class.

I understand that comment. Some of the people in some of the area make walmart sketchy. And there are some people who think walmart is high class. I personally like walmart but there are 2 near me, one is kinda sketchy and the people are odd. The other one is different, a different clientele.

The customer makes the place. Anything that has the best prices is going to attract all types of people. Some of the best and some of the not so great either.

Bingo!

Uh, no. I did not say that. Maybe you need to enlarge the font in your browser.

I happen to shop at Walmart all the time, by the way.

What you said sounded as if the cruisers on Carnival is why they get a walmart name. Go back and read what you wrote, it comes off very offensive. :eek:

Ah well... :rolleyes:

My whole point of this thread, was, that we are being PLEASANTLY surprised in learning more and more about Carnival. Sure, we still have to experience it, but it sounds prettu much like any other cruise ship to me.

Celebrity Constellation, sister ship to millennium...BLAND.. very very dull decor.. and those ribboned strippy plastic chairs.. the ones that are not even hard plastic... still think Carnival has the upper hand on that one by all the pics we have seen.

Royal Caribbean.. HATE that shopping mall street thing going on.. just does not feel like a cruise ship..

I dont know..perhaps being a party person, Carnival DOES appeal to me more.. as for the class thing..

HAH..the laughs we have had on that one...

theres us two, born and raised working class, (ye can take the lass out o Glasgow but you'll never take Glasgow out the girl)..

We'd be partying at the bars, and some snoot would loudly proclaim their status as being in a suite...

We are never ones to brag, but yeah, at times, we would say

"OH.... you got a baby grand in yours too then:D)

Shove it... we'd invite people up to party in our "cabin"... we love to share our blessings... never ever asked "what do you do", anything relating to cabin, class, or anything that indicates ones earnings as such..ALL we are interested in are GOOD PEOPLE from EVERY walk of life, who are happy, smiling and on vacation to have fun.

We have had afternoon tea with the Queen, then on the same evening, been knocking back beers in Sauchiehall street...

Never forget your roots, and love thy neighbour!!!!!

Ah well... :rolleyes:

My whole point of this thread, was, that we are being PLEASANTLY surprised in learning more and more about Carnival. Sure, we still have to experience it, but it sounds prettu much like any other cruise ship to me.

Celebrity Constellation, sister ship to millennium...BLAND.. very very dull decor.. and those ribboned strippy plastic chairs.. the ones that are not even hard plastic... still think Carnival has the upper hand on that one by all the pics we have seen.

Royal Caribbean.. HATE that shopping mall street thing going on.. just does not feel like a cruise ship..

I dont know..perhaps being a party person, Carnival DOES appeal to me more.. as for the class thing..

HAH..the laughs we have had on that one...

theres us two, born and raised working class, (ye can take the lass out o Glasgow but you'll never take Glasgow out the girl)..

We'd be partying at the bars, and some snoot would loudly proclaim their status as being in a suite...

We are never ones to brag, but yeah, at times, we would say

"OH.... you got a baby grand in yours too then:D)

Shove it... we'd invite people up to party in our "cabin"... we love to share our blessings... never ever asked "what do you do", anything relating to cabin, class, or anything that indicates ones earnings as such..ALL we are interested in are GOOD PEOPLE from EVERY walk of life, who are happy, smiling and on vacation to have fun.

We have had afternoon tea with the Queen, then on the same evening, been knocking back beers in Sauchiehall street...

Never forget your roots, and love thy neighbour!!!!!

I want to cruise with you! Everything you said expresses so well how I feel. Thanks for a great post.

Pat

If you shop at Walmart, you know the stores look nice enough... it is the people who inhabit them who give the place its reputation.

Same for the Walmart of the seas!

If you want to prepare yourself for a Carnival Cruise just go to peopleofwalmart.com and look at some of the pictures that have been submitted.

Uh, no. I did not say that. Maybe you need to enlarge the font in your browser.

I happen to shop at Walmart all the time, by the way.

Then you should know the average Carnival cruiser well.;) Wal Mart shopper/Carnival cruiser. Can't tell them apart.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

How long before this changes to people of Carnvial!!!!!!!!!;)

I got off the dream just a few weeks ago. Here's what the loungers look like but the really nice ones (big fluffy cushions) are on the Serenity deck.

Have a great cruise. Oh.. and I don't shop Walmart. :D

cr2011070.jpg

Serenity deck

cr2011068.jpg

I got off the dream just a few weeks ago. Here's what the loungers look like but the really nice ones (big fluffy cushions) are on the Serenity deck.

Have a great cruise. Oh.. and I don't shop Walmart

cr2011070.jpg

Precisely what I am referring too. I will try post some pics of the loungers on celebritys upper decks. the deck around the pool has got really nice loungers, but the majority of their loungers, are those soft plastic things, not even the hard plastic with a mat, those ribboned soft things which are REALLY sore on your back. These loungers look FAR more comfortable!

On RCI, they segregated suite passengers, by cording off an area, how pretentious!!! we NEVER ever took one of those loungers..not once.. and THIS was our suite on Explorer of the seas;

rs3.jpg

roundbed.jpg

mirroredceilingroundbed.jpg

(Check the mirrored ceiling BTW (wink wink)

RS1.jpg

two invited guests who shall rename nameless!

rs8.jpg

This incidentally, was probably one of our least enjoyable cruises. We have had better times, in a basic ocean view on NCL..

And on carnival, we have chosen a simple aft balcony, coz we know, THAT is all we need, and to us, it is what FEELS like a cruise!

I'm not sure where you're going with this. I posted two sentences wondering which cruise line would be lowest. It appears you have somehow inferred something more than I intended and posted several questions that seem to speculate I have some hidden agenda.

What exactly are you trying to say?

I thought I was fairly clear. What do you expect to learn from such figures?

If you want to prepare yourself for a Carnival Cruise just go to peopleofwalmart.com and look at some of the pictures that have been submitted.

So sad.....People with real so called "CLASS", Wouldn't be judgmental of anybody!!! I feel bad for the people that have to sail with your type! I will enjoy my first cruise more immensely for simple fact that people like yourself won't be on it! How's that for class? Oh wait I really don't care about your opinion because I am the weakest link...I mean the walmart shopper...Oh I mean the secret santa...Oh wait that website is all me just dressed up in different costume to entertain you!

Not all ships are equipped with the same lounge chairs so maybe that is how it is on other lines you have sailed too;) We have been on some Carnival ships where the lounge and balcony chairs were pretty shot and others were nice and new. Suite passengers on RCCL pay alot more for their suites then Carnival so that is why they get the perk of reserved seating by the pools. Plus their pool areas are bigger and equipped to do so. They are up out of the way and not directly in front of the pools so no reason to complain about them IMO.

As for the Walmart comment.......like someone said when a company such as Carnival can offer such low prices.......you will get a more diverse crowd then other lines that charge more......

So sad.....People with real so called "CLASS", Wouldn't be judgmental of anybody!!! I feel bad for the people that have to sail with your type! I will enjoy my first cruise more immensely for simple fact that people like yourself won't be on it! How's that for class? Oh wait I really don't care about your opinion because I am the weakest link...I mean the walmart shopper...Oh I mean the secret santa...Oh wait that website is all me just dressed up in different costume to entertain you!

Everyone is judgemental...some just choose to exercise it differently..

Okay- I teach anthropology- so don't get mad at me. Carnival short cruises (shorter than 10 days) are blue collar cruises. 7 day cruises will have a higher quality group... anything shorter will be folks who can afford the shorter vacation. Now, higher quality to me means- people with children on vacation (who know where their kids are)... working couples who aren't watching every penny (not smuggling "stuff")... teens who are being supervised. We got an eyefull on our recent short cruise- no fault of Carnival's... it is "what it is". Much different clientele onboard the Conquest and HAL. I don't like comedy shows where the f-bomb is used for laughs eveery 20 seconds. But a lot of people on this past cruise evidently did- and shame on you Cowboy Bob/Bill (that memorable) for going the easy way with that crowd. I left after 5 fs in the course of 80 seconds- no thank you. BTW, the kids on the 5 night cruise ran amok. But the business model works. It probably pays the margin on HAL and other lines that Carnival has purchased. But- it IS where the rubber meets the road, so to speak.

Yep- I do shop at Walmart for several things- bbq pits. Workout clothes. Cascara Sagrada:D Christmas decorations. Computer printers. $5 dvds:) But I'm always happy to get off----- I mean out!

Archived