Skagway: Dog Camp on Your Own?

ppfqp

Is it possible to visit the sled dog camp on your own? My kids are interested in seeing the dogs (especially the puppies) but we don't really want to do a sled ride. It looks like you have to do the expensive package with a helicopter ride to actually do a sled ride in the snow; the others are in the wheeled vehicles.

We are doing another tour until about 2pm, but I wondered if there was a way to see the dogs on our own later that afternoon. Thanks for any information.

Is it possible to visit the sled dog camp on your own? My kids are interested in seeing the dogs (especially the puppies) but we don't really want to do a sled ride. It looks like you have to do the expensive package with a helicopter ride to actually do a sled ride in the snow; the others are in the wheeled vehicles.

We are doing another tour until about 2pm, but I wondered if there was a way to see the dogs on our own later that afternoon. Thanks for any information.

This tour is available from Skagawy booking agents, but probably in the same price range??

If your other tour, has you in the Yukon, there is Caribou Crossing which has a reasonable priced, sled dog encounter.

As the others have mentioned, Caribou Crossing is an option! We took the dog cart ride there and it's much more affordable than glacier dog sledding (though that was an amazing experience too!). You can see photos and my review on my blog:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/category/cruises/alaska-2010/

Click on the Skagway link.

Archived