Am I Earth?

Hypermommy

I've been looking at the marvelous FireIceEarthAndAir site and based on this post (http://fireiceearthandair.wordpress.com/2010/01/09/earth/ - hope this URL comes out okay) I think I'm Earth colored. Here's me:

172393_10150419091155136_553605135_17596294_8208563_o.jpg

This whole fashion thing is completely new to me (and completely out of what y character has been for 40+ years -- I've always been so "mannish" according to my mom) and I have no clue what I'm doing. Would y'all agree that I'm an Earth or am I misreading this?

Thanks!

Welcome to the boards Hypermommy!

All of the color analysis is very fun...when you figure out what you are, you begin to look at dressing yourself and shopping in a whole new way...it's easy to catch the bug...especially with all the threads around here that focus on color...

It's been a while since the "Season" thread was visible...but there is a HUGE thread What Season Are You? that has a lot of good information on it...if you take the time to wade through all the chatter and all the missing pictures and all the coming and going of people. In leiu of you doing that though...I can tell you a little bit more about analyzing yourself to figure out your coloring...at least the process that we would do on the Seasons thread.

First things first...you have to have what we could call diagnostic pictures. These are photos where you are wearing no makeup, your hair is pulled back (like a ponytail), you are in natural lighting, and you are wearing one of some very specific colors that will be used for comparison purposes to determine what your coloring is. These colors are white, black, brown, cream, navy, teal, and coral...if I remember right. From this beginning, you can make comparisons to determine if you are more warm or cool, and possibly if you look better in muted or clear colors.

Now if you think that you are an EARTH after looking at Curt's blog...then you can fast forward to testing yourself with EARTH colors...BUT the deal is that while you can see if you look good...you can only tell that you look GREAT if you have other photos for comparison...photos where you aren't wearing EARTH colors...You have seen the EARTH palatte on the blog...IMO some great test colors for EARTH are mustardy yellow, rust, and an army green. Pretty much no one else can even come close to looking good in these colors EXCEPT EARTH, so they can be good confirmation colors...

In order to truly rule out the other elements though (I think we can rule out ICE based on your black shirt here...it's draining you of all color in your face...not to be rude, this is just how photo analysis works;))...you should pick some typical colors for the other seasons too...for AIR...I would pick baby pink, baby blue, and gray (think powdery colors)...for FIRE...I would pick coral (orangey pink, but definitely more orangey), aqua (think the warm blue color of the Caribbean), and a bright orange-red (more tomato red than cherry red...if these descriptive words mean anything to you...you want that orange red, NOT a bright blue-red)...if you look better in the EARTH colors...then you are an EARTH...

If you saw on that blog...there is a place where you can contact Curt to do an internet consultation...this will basically involve taking some specific pictures like I described and sending them to Curt...Curt has the expert eye...he is so very fun to work with...I highly recommend contacting him...the pictures that he will have you take will leave you with no doubts in your mind as to what your coloring is...(editted to add...working with Curt is one way to learn how to properly analyze what makes a color look good on you...many times...we don't even really understand what a color is doing to our appearance and it helps to learn what effects a color has that really make a person look fabulous...you may have seen some of this idea on Curt's Award Seasons threads.)

And again, once you find it out...it opens up a whole new world in how you think about yourself and what clothes you choose to wear...I used my color analysis as a kind of kick-start to a whole new lifestyle of getting back to caring about my appearance...I had fallen into a terrible slump as a homemaker...(I have a pet peeve about the phrase "stay at home Mom")...I was out of shape and looking bad...I started to change all this by figuring out my colors and becoming happier with myself the way I was looking just the way I was...and the change just keeps coming...I think I saw you post on the Lose board?...I'm just trying to say that the color analysis can turn into a powerful weapon in your quest toward fitness...there is something wonderfully motivating when you start to look better that makes you want to continue to look better and better...

Hope this book of a post helps you!

Thank you sooooo much for taking the time to give me such a complete and thorough answer!!! Looks like I have a lot of info to get through and some pictures to take, but I'll be doing it. I wish I could get the consultation from Curt but DH is going to be putting every penny back for extras on the cruise (drinks, etc... and I haven't even told him I'm planning a session of hair and makeup on our anniversary).

Anyway, I'm going to work on taking the pictures as you mentioned. This weekend I think I'm going to try taking one in a white t-shirt and then use photoshop to test some different colors.

I see you posted the last entry on the What Season Are You thread back in October of last year. I'm guessing the thread is dead now? Or maybe I'll know more after taking the time to read through it. That's on tap for the next several lunch hours for sure.

Thanks again for helping me out! I've never cared much for fashion, but I'm finding this is fun!

Are you skilled with Photoshop? And identifying colors as warm or cool, muted or clear? If you are, then doing that may help you...but seriously...it would be best if you could actually take the photos with the different colors...just go through all the wardrobes in your house...pick out clothes from DH's wardrobe...any kids in the house...sheets...towels...tablecloths...I mean, whatever you can find that has the colors we are talking about...hide your bra straps and drape the things over your shoulders...and take a picture.

The thing is that when you wear the different colors...the colors actually get reflected onto your face...and they will either clash or they will blend...so when you just change the shirt you are wearing...your skin will still have a bit of the look that it had when you were wearing the other colors...it's been a while since I was employed, but I used to use Photoshop on a daily basis...the thing that Curt does to work his magic on the celebrities and their gown colors is not as easy as changing just their dress color...if you look closely at the photos...you can see some other editting going on...it's subtle, but you have to, depending on what the person is wearing...

I have photos of me in bright colors...bright green and bright coral...because my skin requires muted colors...the colors SIT on my skin in these photos...if you do a close up of them...my neck is actually GREEN or CORAL...with a white shirt...this won't be as big of an issue...you may be able to see blending v. not, but you won't be able to get that WOW photo where your skin is being highlighted by the color you are wearing...it will be much easier to identify the GREAT colors if you just do a bit of a scavenger hunt around the house to find the necessary colors and have a photo session.

I think everyone can understand trying to save every nickel and dime...but in doing so, don't short cut the process...

I am happy to help out...I'm quite the talker...(my posts are historically novel-ishous).

Another tip when you take the photos...be aware of the background of your photo...you want it to be as neutral as possible...or meaningless (like an outside photo that has so much going on in the background that the background doesn't influence how you look as much)...because, even if the color isn't your color, if the background IS your color, you can look pretty good in a not so good color...if you are against a background that doesn't help you look better...if you are wearing a good color, then even when you are against a background that isn't doing you any favors, if the color you are wearing is good, then you will appear to be standing well in front of the background and will still look good.

The Seasons thread may have run its course...I don't know...most of the major talkers on there are still here on the boards...but there were so few new people coming onto that thread for so long that the topics got more specific...like with the FIRE thread and the new EARTH thread...and some people would post interest and then go away...

All of this IS very fun...you don't have to be big into fashion to gain and understanding of the influence of color...and when you do, it can make life so much simpler in so many ways...

Okay, neutral background. My house is beige so that should work as a background. And actually wearing the colors instead of photoshopping them... okay, I can do that. Guess I'll get started on it this weekend. Oh, this is gonna be good. I sure do hope it's bright colors on me... that's what I like the best. You'll definitely be hearing more from me and thank you soooooo much for your willingness to help!

Hi There, Hypermommy!

I'm one of the active posters on the original Seasons thread. It was a big surprise to everybody when Curt diagnosed me as "Earth"! I had always dressed and colored my hair as a summer/air. (I had cool, ashy highlights in my hair which totally confused the matter.)

Anita has a more finely tuned eye for color than I do, but I'm still happy to chime in if you post pictures :)

I can be found on both the Earth and Fire threads on this board.

Enjoy the process :D

Jane

Hi Jane! Thanks for the offer of assistance.

I didn't get the pictures taken this weekend. I spent Saturday playing mom's taxi and Sunday at the lake. Hope to get this done soon. Sure would help my Goodwill shopping to gravitate towards specific colors. LOL

But right now I have to start to get ready for work so I can pay for these new clothes! :D

Archived