Cayman - diving after helicopter trip?

Bob26

I asked this question on the Cayman board, but it's not that active. We'll be on GC on Eclipse and were thinking to do a helicopter ride in the morning (10am) and then do a dive through the cruise line at 12:30. Does any one know if it's feasible? Also, do dive boats pick up divers at the ship? or you need to tender ashore first with all your gear and then get on a dive boat?

Thanks

Bob

I have been to Cayman many times but not on a cruise. Honestly depending on the cost I don't know if the Helicopter ride would be worth it. When we stayed there last November the Helicopters would fly over our house on the North shore all the time as there were some large houses and one was owned by a rock star. Cayman itself is very flat and outside of the fun riding in a helicopter I would think the scenery would get boring.

That being said the diving is phenomenal, definitely do that. I am pretty sure you will have to tender in.

B.

Unless that helicopter is flying way higher than it should be, you will be fine....diving after a helo ride should not be a problem. Problems are from the pressurization or extremly high flights.

Although i think the question is more regarding time than pressure. I agree with previous post....the best of Caymn is under the water....dive and forget the helo.

I asked this question on the Cayman board, but it's not that active. We'll be on GC on Eclipse and were thinking to do a helicopter ride in the morning (10am) and then do a dive through the cruise line at 12:30. Does any one know if it's feasible? Also, do dive boats pick up divers at the ship? or you need to tender ashore first with all your gear and then get on a dive boat?

Thanks

Bob

I don't believe that any safe dive company would allow you to make a dive following a flight. The different in altitude should be a major concern for the dive company.

Unless that helicopter is flying way higher than it should be, you will be fine....diving after a helo ride should not be a problem. Problems are from the pressurization or extremly high flights.

Although i think the question is more regarding time than pressure. I agree with previous post....the best of Caymn is under the water....dive and forget the helo.

I also agree that Grand Cayman looks best under the water not above. It's a desert island so if I had a timing issue, diving would be my priority.

Flights before diving is OK. Check any diving manual. It's flying at higher altitudes soon after diving that is dangerous and I doubt a helicopter ride to see that very flat island get very high in altitude.

I wish the people here would qualify their expertise before spouting off uninformed opinions.

As a PADI Rescue Diver with over 1,000 dives most of them in the Puget Sound. I can say that it is as safe as diving is usually.

If you fly around in a helicopter around the island you will probably not be going above 5,000 feet. The operating ceiling for most helicopters is 10,000 feet. Furthermore, the potential risks with flying are AFTER diving NOT before the dive. The only thing you have to worry ending your dive early after a helicopter ride is missing it due to scheduling.

The flight risk comes from a theory that certain tissue compartments may not have fully off-gassed and release bubbles that combine into a larger bubble. You should lay the person down on their left side with their head slightly lower than their body and treat with oxygen while descending in altitude.

Enjoy your dive. You just gave us an idea for something to do instead of Stingray City.

Cheers!

I wish the people here would qualify their expertise before spouting off uninformed opinions.

As a PADI Rescue Diver with over 1,000 dives most of them in the Puget Sound. I can say that it is as safe as diving is usually.

If you fly around in a helicopter around the island you will probably not be going above 5,000 feet. The operating ceiling for most helicopters is 10,000 feet. Furthermore, the potential risks with flying are AFTER diving NOT before the dive. The only thing you have to worry ending your dive early after a helicopter ride is missing it due to scheduling.

The flight risk comes from a theory that certain tissue compartments may not have fully off-gassed and release bubbles that combine into a larger bubble. You should lay the person down on their left side with their head slightly lower than their body and treat with oxygen while descending in altitude.

Enjoy your dive. You just gave us an idea for something to do instead of Stingray City.

Cheers!

I agree. there is no counter indication for diving AFTER flying. I am an instructor and underwater photographer, and I have gone on dives literally minutes after landing from a flight. it is perfectly safe to fly and THEN dive. Diving 24 hours or less BEFORE flying is counter indicated. When I first started diving over 30 years ago, it was 12 hours before flying. Current theory is suggesting 30 hours or more would be better after multiple days of diving.

Archived